Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2012, 12:51 pm

My mother and husband both think I am just because I like doing the same thing all the time and not ever go out. But I am not depressed. I have no reason to be. Sure at times I feel down but it's not depression because it has to be onset for a while and not come and go. People will say they are depressed when they are upset or stressed out about something or had a hard day at work or are having a bad day, misuse of the word. So I say I am not depressed. My husband thinks I get depressed so he will sometimes kick me out of the apartment and go have fun because he thinks me being at home all the time makes me depressed. I just go to the bookstore and read and go to my favorite ice cream place. But I can't really concentrate well on reading because of my son. I would leave him home but my husband can't really watch him due to being in pain.

Do you get mistaken for having depression?

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Alfonso12345
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Jun 2012, 1:13 pm

I've had people ask me why I am sad when I am actually happy. It might be because I almost never have a facial expression unless I am in a rage, am extremely excited, or laughing about something.

chiastic_slide
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Jun 2012, 1:46 pm

yeah i have days when it feels like I can barely move my face and my voice is quiet and whispery. It doesn't mean i'm depressed. It is usually when I am going inside myself.

nemorosa
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2012, 1:50 pm

People don't just think I'm depressed - I am depressed.

But I agree with your observation, that people assume that not wanting to go out much or speak with people means that there is something wrong and that the remedy must be doing those very things. Who knows, perhaps that works for the majority.

ZakFiend
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2012, 2:18 pm

You may be the type of aspie that just isn't very energetic and highly introverted. i.e. you derive pleasure from being alone and quiet places by yourself or just a few people you know. People mistake our like of being alone with depression. They think if we don't want to socialize or go out with friends it must mean we are sad/depressed/lonely.

A good way to put it to anyone that asks is: You experience the world differently from other people, and hence you get joy out of being by yourself doing what you like.

Most regular people get lonely and really don't like being by themselves, they usually have a pathological need to be with other people. For certain types of aspies it's the other way around - we have a need to get AWAY from other people and we are most at home with ourselves or with a few friends/relatives we trust.

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2012, 2:23 pm

Yes and its drives me nuts!

Especially when drs keep trying to stuff medication down my throat when I don't need it.

Bloodheart
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2012, 3:04 pm

Nope - I can get depressed because I always do the same thing all the time and never go out...no one seems to realise that I'm depressed and I don't know how to make it clear to people, or if anyone would care if I did.

Good-looking girls break hearts, and goodhearted girls mend them.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2012, 3:17 pm

Most people presume I'm nervy, which is true anyway, I AM a very nervous person.

nikkiDT
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Jun 2012, 4:14 pm

People have said that to me before. It doesn't happen as much now. Some people are just homebodies. There's nothing wrong with that.

roccoslife
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Jun 2012, 4:27 pm

Yes, but only because I am most of the time lol.

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 107 of 200
You seem to have both Aspie and neurotypical traits

Tamsin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Jun 2012, 7:07 pm

I do have MDD, but I haven't been depressed much recently. However, I do get people asking me if I'm okay or telling me I should be happy because of my flat affect.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2012, 8:10 pm

Before she knew that I was autistic, iMother thought that I was lonely and depressed, because I spent most of my time in my room, blissfully alone. Now, she knows that I enjoy being alone, and that I do not have to go to bright loud crowded places or interact with hooomans to feel alive and happy.

zombiegirl2010
Toucan
Toucan

02 Jun 2012, 11:49 pm

roccoslife wrote:
Yes, but only because I am most of the time lol.

Same here

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2012, 1:24 am

People ask if I'm depressed a lot of the time, because of my facial features. I'm not depressed. I just have a baby face.

howzat
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2012, 3:10 pm

My mum thinks that i am depressed because i do the same things most of the time however i do feel some what optimistic in life but do have the odd bad day or so to go along with it.

YellowBanana
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2012, 3:18 pm

My GP (and my previous GP) both believe I am depressed and have done for at least 12 years.
My psychiatrist disagrees.
I don't know whether I am depressed or not. This is the only way I remember being.