Why is baldness considered ugly?

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2012, 1:27 pm

One thing I don't get, is why baldness is considered ugly today. In other great apes, it's a symbol of alpha status and masculinity combined with life experience; in previous centuries, it was in fact considered attractive in humans as well—and since it's caused by testosterone, then it can't be bad if you're otherwise healthy?

Marcia
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2012, 1:40 pm

I don't think it's ugly and I don't know any other women who do. Most guys where I live start shaving their heads when they start losing their hair which is much more attractive than the comb overs of previous generations.

If anyone promotes the view that it's ugly then it's probably those who make money out of selling dubious "cures" for baldness.

rabbittss
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2012, 1:40 pm

Standards change.

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2012, 1:47 pm

Marcia wrote:
I don't think it's ugly and I don't know any other women who do. Most guys where I live start shaving their heads when they start losing their hair which is much more attractive than the comb overs of previous generations.

If anyone promotes the view that it's ugly then it's probably those who make money out of selling dubious "cures" for baldness.

I realize why combovers are ugly (it means that you have a very outdated sense of fashion), but I don't see why baldness itself is unattractive.

DogsWithoutHorses
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2012, 2:11 pm

I don't think it's so much that baldness is unattractive as it is that a good head of hair is attractive.
It's pretty, it's youthful, it's sexy to have something to grab onto. Hair frames your face.

If your success is defined as being well adjusted to injustice and well adapted to indifference, then we don?t want successful leaders. We want great leaders- who are unbought, unbound, unafraid, and unintimidated to tell the truth.

ZX_SpectrumDisorder
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2012, 2:12 pm

It's not really considered ugly anymore is it? There's no baldness in my family so I'll be a silver George Clooney-like fox ahah.
If I did begin to go bald, I'd get the lot clipped off. Combovers and hair pieces are a place I don't wish to go.

Marcia
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2012, 2:30 pm

Kurgan wrote:
Marcia wrote:

I realize why combovers are ugly (it means that you have a very outdated sense of fashion), but I don't see why baldness itself is unattractive.

I don't know anyone who thinks it's unattractive!

I can understand guys who're losing their hair feeling a bit upset about it, but it's not going to make them ugly.

NicoleG
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2012, 2:50 pm

I prefer a head of hair on a guy so I have something to run my hands through, and I have yet to date a guy that didn't enjoy it when I did that with them. Likewise, I like it when a guy runs his hands through my hair, so I hope I never grow bald or have to go through cancer treatments that render me bald, because I sure would miss that feeling.

But, my preference doesn't by any means equate to finding baldness unattractive. There's been so many men who are bald or shaven that I find extremely sexy, and yes, I've also dated guys with no head of hair. Losing out on being able to run my hands through it meant I had to find something else to do with my hands, or some other way or showing the same feelings of affection. It just doesn't feel the same running my hands across their bald head.

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2012, 3:31 pm

My hairline was receding a bit in my early 20s then it stopped and has been in the same spot ever since. I actually like the look of it better than a full head of hair, and it certainly looks better than being bald.

ZX_SpectrumDisorder
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2012, 3:33 pm

Looks cool to me.

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2012, 3:51 pm

It's likely associated with aging, and human aesthetic standards are nothing if not age-ist.

to his Interest."

Longshanks
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2012, 10:39 pm

Kurgan wrote:
One thing I don't get, is why baldness is considered ugly today. In other great apes, it's a symbol of alpha status and masculinity combined with life experience; in previous centuries, it was in fact considered attractive in humans as well—and since it's caused by testosterone, then it can't be bad if you're otherwise healthy?

A couple points, being bald myself. 1. We are not apes, we are humans, and yes, there is a big difference. 2. Quit comparing apples to oranges and you may actually start to understand women. 3. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. 4. Women, as well as men, who make looks a major issue in finding a mate are shallow and are not worth the time of day. My number one requirement in a mate is a well balanced brain. This leads me to my final point. If you want to see a parting of the Red Sea, watch my gorgeous vivacious wife enter an officer's club. I did not chase after her because of how good looking she was - on purpose. Again, brains first. She chased after me - and when I discovered that not only did she have a brain, but a master's degree and a 136 IQ, and she actually cared for me because of who I am, yow! She is my soul mate and the most glorious days of my life have been with her. Yes, she's 7 years older than me (54) and she looks drop-dead gorgeous. Not one gray hair and she is in great shape. But aging changes things and the time will come where she will lose that. Nonetheless, I love her a google-plex more now than the day I married her. And that love still grows because, at the risk of making you puke, we have a Christ-centered marriage and that is why it will last.

Longshanks

Supporter of the Brian Terry Foundation @ www.honorbrianterry.com. Special Agent Brian Terry (1970-2010) was murdered as a direct result of Operation Fast & Furious - which Barry O won't discuss - wonder why?

unduki
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2012, 11:26 pm

God covered up the heads He didn't like.

mds_02
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2012, 11:43 pm

The only people I've ever heard equate bald with ugly are men who feel self-conscious about their own baldness. Which is natural, I guess. A dramatic change in appearance is bound to make most people feel self-conscious, even if it's not a change for the worse. Still, I've only heard two opinions regarding baldness from women; either they're indifferent, or they actually like it.

Though I will say that the things men do to hide their baldness can be very unflattering. Embrace it, I say. Soon as I notice my hairline receding, I'm just gonna shave my head.

And it feels pretty soft to me. 

Modest Mouse - The View

Wolfheart
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2012, 3:32 am

It's a matter of preference, some people like bald heads, some people don't. I personally like short hair styles on women and find tomboy styles to be attractive, I think it also depends on how attracted you are to that person.

spongy
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2012, 3:37 am

ValentineWiggin wrote:
It's likely associated with aging, and human aesthetic standards are nothing if not age-ist.

Imo its this.

Losing hair is considered to happen once you reach a certain age so if you start losing it prior to that some people think that you look too old.
Been having some issues with my hair since I was quite young but I havent ever tried to fully shave it. I may attempt it soon now that summer is coming.