Finally got SSI, how do I actually manage it?

Page 4 of 4 [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2012, 5:43 pm

Some of them yeah because I see them as his opinion, not him being mean and I don't like to censor people for their opinions and I like to see blogs where people disagree or agree and it makes it all a discussion in the comments. I do hate it when bloggers only approve comments that agree with them or their views. And I did say I may approve a mean comment just for the drama so I can respond to it for the whole world to see and to see how dumb that person is. And this wasn't cavendish that left me a mean comment on my blog, it was someone else I don't even know and I have never seen that person either. I did a Google search on that person's email and saw we both went to a couple of sites together and I never noticed him because he is not that active.

I think people sometimes mistake opinions as meanness and even my own husband tells me I am so mean because of my own views. I don't let it bother me. I just laugh about it like he does.

If you have a problem with a user, feel free to report them. Maybe enough complaints will get them banned. I am not the sort of person to go reporting someone if I find their opinions too disturbing because then that be censorship I am trying to pull. I don't often see mean comments other people see because to me it's just their opinion. I am sure people here have found me mean and belittling because of my own opinions and I have been told I have been reported as "being a troll" under my old account and nothing was done about it because I was not breaking any rules. Well I never got banned for that. But then again that person could have been lying. I have been told by another person (a former member here) bad things have been said about me here and it be obvious they were talking about me just by what they were saying and saying what a troll I am. But do I care for that? No. That person could have been mistaken also that they were talking about me but I will never know for sure.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

edgewaters
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2012, 5:46 pm

Cavendish did openly advocate criminal activity in the form of fraud,though. And I think you're being a bit naieve LG. There's more going on than just expressing an opinion, here. Malicously belittling disabled people who are in traumatic circumstances and encouraging them to commit fraud, is a bit more than just expressing an opinion.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2012, 5:55 pm

I really don't know how to manage it. I'm lucky in that I can live with a parent who helps me.

I'm on disability (ASD). It sucks, not because I'd rather be working and earning more money to pursue my interests better; it sucks due to the illness that put me on it.

It's work enough just getting out of bed most days.

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2012, 6:00 pm

edgewaters wrote:
Cavendish did openly advocate criminal activity in the form of fraud,though. And I think you're being a bit naieve LG. There's more going on than just expressing an opinion, here. Malicously belittling disabled people who are in traumatic circumstances and encouraging them to commit fraud, is a bit more than just expressing an opinion.

Thanks for summing up what I've been trying to say in a few, to the point, sentences. From now on I'm sending all my posts to you for editing before I submit them.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2012, 6:03 pm

edgewaters wrote:

Well I guess I don't know the difference then. I guess I have committed fraud also because back when I was on SSI and still living at home, my parents gave me a job at home of watering the trees and would pay me for it. They had to many of them I would make over 100 dollars doing it. They paid me the cash and told me to keep it in my room and not put it in the bank or else SSI will nail me for it and give me a lower check. But it was a chore they gave me and I do think some rules about it are stupid. if someone loans you money, you must report it to SSI, if you work for someone in their yard or do chores at home and get allowance, must report it.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

05 Jun 2012, 7:44 pm

Rascal77s wrote:
I just remember a lot of what I read whether I'm invested in it or not. I shouldn't assume other people do too. The only thing I meant by my reply to you was that there is no point in being civil to someone or explaining your views when that person is going to turn around and spit in your face in reply. I didn't do a very good job of explaining that. Look again at his earlier reply to Jkid below. Here you have a guy who is struggling to make a relatively normal normal life for himself. Can you see Cavendish's reply as anything but nasty? I mean is telling someone to commit fraud really helpful advice? This kind of nastiness has been his standard operating procedure since he first started posting on this forum. There's no reason to be civil to him and he shouldn't even be on this forum to harass and demean people.

I agree with you, it just hadn't crossed my mind until you said something. I didn't see it before you posted what you did and I thought you were telling me I should have seen it all along. Sometimes, I might see it (especially if they use a particular set of phrases I recognize as such), this time I didn't.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2012, 8:10 pm

edgewaters wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
Sometimes it's better to not care what someone online thinks because then you will stress yourself out defending yourself and others and then you can't stop thinking about it. It's just too stressful. I find it better to not care what people think or else you will be living a stressful life.

How do you go about not caring? I mean people say its easier to not care......but it seems like none of them can explain how they go about not caring can you describe it? I can not care about myself or life or whatever but when it comes to people saying or doing hurtful things it still effects me.

It takes practice to develop skill in not giving a flying you-know-what

I don't know if people would like to see me when I don't give a f**K.

jackbus01
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2012, 8:14 pm

League_Girl wrote:
edgewaters wrote:

Well I guess I don't know the difference then. I guess I have committed fraud also because back when I was on SSI and still living at home, my parents gave me a job at home of watering the trees and would pay me for it. They had to many of them I would make over 100 dollars doing it. They paid me the cash and told me to keep it in my room and not put it in the bank or else SSI will nail me for it and give me a lower check. But it was a chore they gave me and I do think some rules about it are stupid. if someone loans you money, you must report it to SSI, if you work for someone in their yard or do chores at home and get allowance, must report it.

This explains why a lot of persons "on disability" seek self-employed or cash paying jobs.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

05 Jun 2012, 8:32 pm

League_Girl wrote:
I think people sometimes mistake opinions as meanness and even my own husband tells me I am so mean because of my own views. I don't let it bother me. I just laugh about it like he does.

Opinions can be mean, though. They're not mutually exclusive. And some opinions can be mean even if they're your opinion and you don't think you're being mean. A lot of people do mean things because they think it's normal to be that way and see no reason to not do those things to others. A lot of those people will use excuses like "I'm just being honest" to absolve themselves of responsibility for being mean.

Quote:
If you have a problem with a user, feel free to report them. Maybe enough complaints will get them banned. I am not the sort of person to go reporting someone if I find their opinions too disturbing because then that be censorship I am trying to pull. I don't often see mean comments other people see because to me it's just their opinion. I am sure people here have found me mean and belittling because of my own opinions and I have been told I have been reported as "being a troll" under my old account and nothing was done about it because I was not breaking any rules. Well I never got banned for that. But then again that person could have been lying. I have been told by another person (a former member here) bad things have been said about me here and it be obvious they were talking about me just by what they were saying and saying what a troll I am. But do I care for that? No. That person could have been mistaken also that they were talking about me but I will never know for sure.

Reading the list of quotes Rascal77s posted, I think that Cavendish is being mean. He's not talking about reporting Cavendish, but he was telling me that I was wasting my time trying to have a rational conversation with Cavendish. Is it wrong to point such things out?

edgewaters
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2012, 9:22 pm

League_Girl wrote:
edgewaters wrote:

OK but you aren't saying that, in sarcasm, to an innocent person who hasn't done anything who is in crisis and trying to figure out a way to physically survive in an attempt to humiliate them while they are vulnerable. Perhaps sarcasm is something many people on the spectrum are innocent about, but I see it readily. And he was being most sarcastic and humiliating about it. This is my opinion - and if he's entitled to his, I'm entitled to mine as well, in the marketplace of ideas.

edgewaters
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2012, 9:23 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
I don't know if people would like to see me when I don't give a f**K.

That's what leverage is all about SL. Nothing wrong with applying it wisely and ethically, in fact it is necessary to do so from time to time.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2012, 11:02 pm

Verdandi wrote:
League_Girl wrote:

Opinions can be mean, though. They're not mutually exclusive. And some opinions can be mean even if they're your opinion and you don't think you're being mean. A lot of people do mean things because they think it's normal to be that way and see no reason to not do those things to others. A lot of those people will use excuses like "I'm just being honest" to absolve themselves of responsibility for being mean.

Quote:

Reading the list of quotes Rascal77s posted, I think that Cavendish is being mean. He's not talking about reporting Cavendish, but he was telling me that I was wasting my time trying to have a rational conversation with Cavendish. Is it wrong to point such things out?

No.

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2012, 5:10 am

Locked temporarily, while I deal with issues in this thread.