Do people laugh at you when you get angry?

Page 1 of 5 [ 66 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Jayo
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2012, 8:49 pm

Is this just a spectrum thing? I have Aspergers and as far as I can remember, throughout my 30-odd years on the planet now, I have had people laugh in reaction to me getting angry with them. Occasionally, a couple of times, the greater was my anger the greater their laughter, which almost seems to break a natural law if you ask me!! !

Whenever I've been on the receiving end of someone's ire, I NEVER laughed - only once as a kid with my dad, I can't even remember what it was about, but he really lost it i.e. "DON'T LAUGH!! !! !" and threw me up against the wall, yelling in my face (he wasn't abusive otherwise; this was just an extreme). But anyways, I can't say I've seen other people laugh when people get angry with them either. Maybe there's something that appears "unnatural" to others (NTs of course) from our irate reaction or maybe it's just a culmination of them already building up humour from our lack of getting the gist of a situation or underlying meaning, so we explode at their insensitivity and ignorance, then they let out the laughter.

Still - shouldn't make their reaction any more socially acceptable than our unintentional slip-ups...

Alfonso12345
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Jun 2012, 9:13 pm

I have been laughed at before when I got angry, but luckily it has not happened very often. I agree, it is not right for people to laugh at others who get angry for reasons that do not seem to make sense to them. It's not right for people to laugh at anyone because of a mistake or something they had no control over.

Jupiter1234
Raven
Raven

02 Jun 2012, 9:15 pm

No ...but I've seen people laugh at other aspies and try to provoke them so they can make them angry

edgewaters
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2012, 9:24 pm

Depends on the type of angry I get. I've got basically three kinds. An almost affable frustration with someone, which is the best received and generally gets the best results. An impotent fury, which gets snickered at and achieves nothing except embarassment. And an understated but venomous, determined sort of angry - people find this one extremely unpleasant and take it very seriously. But it strains things in all sorts of ways.

reecare
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

02 Jun 2012, 10:25 pm

Yes, they do. At work specifically. At college too. I start to fume and cry. It's bad. Embarrassing.

Merculangelo
Toucan
Toucan

02 Jun 2012, 11:36 pm

i remember a number of times when i was little and got very angry and my mother laughed at me. i trusted my mother enough that her laughter made me laugh and I experienced this weird terrible thing where I was feeling a lot of pain but was still brought to laughter. sort of self-betrayal. I don't know why my mother would laugh at me being in pain or at least have enough self-control to not laugh at something about the situation that was ridiculous. I've seen people in huge amounts of pain and I've never had any inclination to laugh.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2012, 12:19 am

No they shake with fear when I get angry!! !! !! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Just kidding! :D :D :D :D

iceveela
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Jun 2012, 12:33 am

Actually, I am not allowed to become angry. Anger, or at least the expression of it, is forbidden in my household. The last time I showed anger I was almost banished from my house forever.

So I guess that means no, no one laughs when I become angry.

AQ: 36

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2012, 12:33 am

It's happened. Those were some of my worst meltdowns, the ones where I couldn't remember parts of them afterward.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

SilkySifaka
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2012, 4:03 am

Not since I've been an adult. I get angry so rarely (as opposed to frustrated) that when people who know me see that I am angry they are usually shocked. When I'm frustrated that can be a little comical, and sometimes my family laugh at that but I don't mind.

dyingofpoetry
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2012, 4:06 am

I have a hard time being taken seriously when I am angry, probably because I don't express anger in a way that NTs are used to... but when they think I am just being funny, that causes me to get REALLY pissed and THEN they get it.

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2012, 5:44 am

When I was a kid I was pretty strong and when I was mad, I mean like really mad, I would lose it and start destroying everything around me. Furniture, walls, appliances, people, it didn't matter everything was fair game. It wasn't very funny to me or the people caught in it.

howzat
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2012, 2:44 pm

When i was a child i used to get angry and people would starting laughing at me however i get angry sometimes but people no longer laugh at me anymore.

nolan1971
Toucan
Toucan

03 Jun 2012, 2:57 pm

No they never laugh. I rarely ever get angry but when I do it scares people away! :D

tchek
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

03 Jun 2012, 3:23 pm

Yes

especially when I was a teenager. It evolved into extreme OCD (self mutilation, biting my hand)

This is extremely disrespectful, now I make a point of showing (calmly) that things could turn ugly if I'm making fun of at those moments (if my anger is justified of course).
Now, something important is to deal with our natural frustration intolerance.

:!:

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2012, 3:33 pm

It happened once. That dude never laughed at me again.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com