Page 13 of 14 [ 219 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

Lord_Gareth
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Jun 2012, 5:20 pm

Joker wrote:
edgewaters wrote:
Joker wrote:
Unless we are killing them for being atheists then it's not persuction.

Hmm ... so if we ban Christianity, bar Christians from political office, and relocate them to prison camps, it's not persecution?

Seeing how Christians are the mayjortiy don't see that happening.

Dude did you see that? The point of Edgewater's post just whipped RIGHT OVER YOUR HEAD! It ruffled your hair and everything! You saw that, right? Right?

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2012, 5:22 pm

Lord_Gareth wrote:
Joker wrote:
edgewaters wrote:
Joker wrote:

Hmm ... so if we ban Christianity, bar Christians from political office, and relocate them to prison camps, it's not persecution?

Seeing how Christians are the mayjortiy don't see that happening.

Dude did you see that? The point of Edgewater's post just whipped RIGHT OVER YOUR HEAD! It ruffled your hair and everything! You saw that, right? Right?

I did see his post what's your point I hope you have one.

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2012, 5:23 pm

Also Thomas Jefferson was the president of the united states of american and was a atheist. You could always lie about your personal bleifes and still be a atheist and still win a election by keeping it a secret from the masses.

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2012, 5:28 pm

Lord_Gareth wrote:
Joker wrote:
Lord_Gareth wrote:
Still having trouble finding the link (I'ma rope some friends of mine into helping), but I did find this interesting collection of news stories, including a couple that were driven out of their town of residence:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUujzJRxNSk[/youtube]

Both

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2012, 5:33 pm

Atheists are always complaing

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2012, 6:39 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
Lord_Gareth wrote:
I dunno, tell that to the atheist man in Mississippi that got stoned to death in a public square in 2009.

Do you have a link for that?

Lord_Gareth wrote:
Still having trouble finding the link (I'ma rope some friends of mine into helping), but I did find this interesting collection of news stories, including a couple that were driven out of their town of residence:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUujzJRxNSk[/youtube]

Please do rope some friends into helping, this video's beyond a non-substitute.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Cloudlet
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Jun 2012, 12:00 pm

AngelRho wrote:
Cloudlet wrote:
peebo wrote:
i thought that everyone, spiritualists included, agreed that spiritual things are hallucinations?
That depends if we can find a medical problem that causes the hallucinations.

Does it really matter if someone knows if they're hallucinating? Shamanistic use of ayahuasca comes to mind. Some think it leads to an induced OBE. Whether the spirit actually leaves the body under the influence of ayahuasca is debatable. What I'd like to know is whether an altered perception really does lead to spiritual insight and actual change in a person's life. Can a hallucinogen really help someone open the door to their own personal spiritual world?

I love that line from Harry Potter: "of course it's happening inside your head Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?"

Personally, I'm suspicious of chemicals altering perceptions and even of some religious tendencies to work themselves into an ecstatic altered state of consciousness. If I'm going to have an experience of God or some spiritual reality, etc., I'd prefer to do it with a clear head.
Hallucinogens are basically disruptive agents. If they open a way to the spiritual world, they do so by breaking in. They mess up your nerve system and you find yourself thrown into a spiritual world in quite a bad shape. I don't say they're useless, they may be very useful to cure a narrow-minded materialist. Or help certain DJs make a really awesome music. But technically, it is not a high quality experience.

What we use to have this experience is not "spiritual". It is below our level - that is animalistic. It is perceived by an ancient and very powerful emotional equipment that our ancestors and animals evolved and it is qualitatively below intellect. Vast majority of humanity uses this as their permanent seat of consciousness and they use intellect only for work. Theosophists call it astral body and they consider it the greatest humanity's problem. It's our way of thinking, overpowering desires, illusions and fears.
We are naturally sensitive to astral experience, astral contact, even astral style of art and culture, we do not see astral experience as it really is. We only see as it subjectively affects us. All things astral are highly suspicious, if only because they try to influence and manipulate people emotionally. The fancier visions, the more suspicious they are.

Cloudlet
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Jun 2012, 4:32 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
I'm not sure. Sounds interesting but not altogether different from saying physical, mental, and spiritual as the suggestions I keep hearing is that the mind is the next stage up from the physical and the spiritual having information free and easy at such high levels that its currency really becomes emotion.
Yes, pretty much, depends how you look at it. Btw, the emotional level is said to be densely inhabited and about as trustworthy source of information as Earthly tabloids.

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
Do you have any writing you'd suggest regarding the specifics of the laws which people believe correspond up and down the spectrum? I'm still a bit new in my study of this and have lots of gaps I'm trying to fill in. My gut tells me that different planes will function differently according to their level of purity - ie. ratio of light/darkness, where just the interplay of those two variables has a lot of sway over fundamental fulcrums and how the world ultimately looks, feels, etc.. I'd like to think there's a practical way of using that whether its finding matter and energy that's more discrete than what we have now, studying higher vibration or hotter particles, etc. etc.
I think an excellent source is the Ancient Wisdom brochure. It describes all the main themes well enough and the website further allows you to read on any of the topics more closely.
But for a more modern look on this (plasma/magnetic plasma physics) is Jay Alfred's website. It's not scientifically precise, but it gives a good overview.

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
A completely different way in may even be the NDE route. As WilliamDelaney and I were noting there are already people performing serious and legitimate research out there who are working with hypotheses from NDE's, in some cases even their own. If NDE's really are superpositioning of the mind or if the sense of speaking with higher beings is exactly what its perceived to be then having that direct contact with the light and gleaning useful bits of data (especially as people can figure out how to do this without risking their own death) in quantities that they can take back with them could exponentiate progress on this front.
This approach is possible too, there is the Monroe Institute, founded by Robert Allan Monroe. It is basically meant for inducing astral travel, but the NDE has a special element in it.
Esoteric traditions say that there is a higher part of us, the superconsciousness, higher self, "soul" or Ego, as Theosophists call it. The NDE has a definite sign of its activity, except it's often colored by people's religions. This is one of the main points in esotericism, it's the holy grail. And it's so far away from our physical reality, that I presume it will take many decades until it's physically measurable in its native environment. But having experienced it, it's quite easy to distinguish the same experience in literature. Writers tend to put it into the stories.
Anyway, with the Theosophic model of subtle worlds and bodies, independently backed up by Robert Allan Monroe and my experience, I'm not really in lack of working hypotheses, higher beings or bits of data. The only problem is getting that information across, together with evidence.

Btw, you might be interested in Lancet Study on NDEs and Dr. Ian Stevenson's research on reincarnation. They favor us :D

Cloudlet
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Jun 2012, 5:11 pm

Lord_Gareth wrote:
I can't let that pass without commenting. These folks aren't spiritual, they're basically a kind of highly territorial and xenophobic tribesmen. Christianity is their tribe and anything non-Christian insults their tribal honor, so they go forth and defend it or avenge it ruthlessly. Without giving heed to actual Jesus' words on private worship alone and loving your enemies. (Mark's evangelium, I think)
The worst of all is atheism. Other religions are enemies, but at least they have a God, sometimes almost the same God. But atheists break all the rules, so they deserve no rights. Dehumanizing the non-members and outcasts is a common tactic of propaganda.

I wonder what would they make of me, if I arrived there as a tourist. An European atheist/agnostic with occult leaning and sometimes a big mouth. Maybe I romanticize it, but I suspect local fundies tolerate foreigners better, even up to discussing with them. Foreigners are expected to be different. But to find an atheist in the midst of a family, church, school or a town, that's a betrayal of the tribe and must be punished.

If only these brave, admirable and well-meaning kids would study psychology and social dynamics before messing with the tribalistic mindset. They thought it was about religion, but it was about "honor" (that is, ridiculously over-inflated ego). Maybe Christian fundies don't have honor killings, but they have honor shunning, honor bullying and honor eviction.

Scottinoz
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Jun 2012, 7:58 am

I loved shrooms and acid, I want to do DMT but haven't found anyone crazy enough to go with me :D I have seen entities that you become aware of surrounding me with love and healing, All positive experiences for me :P

SpiritBlooms
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2012, 11:00 am

Cloudlet wrote:
Lord_Gareth wrote:
I can't let that pass without commenting. These folks aren't spiritual, they're basically a kind of highly territorial and xenophobic tribesmen. Christianity is their tribe and anything non-Christian insults their tribal honor, so they go forth and defend it or avenge it ruthlessly. Without giving heed to actual Jesus' words on private worship alone and loving your enemies. (Mark's evangelium, I think)
The worst of all is atheism. Other religions are enemies, but at least they have a God, sometimes almost the same God. But atheists break all the rules, so they deserve no rights. Dehumanizing the non-members and outcasts is a common tactic of propaganda.

I wonder what would they make of me, if I arrived there as a tourist. An European atheist/agnostic with occult leaning and sometimes a big mouth. Maybe I romanticize it, but I suspect local fundies tolerate foreigners better, even up to discussing with them. Foreigners are expected to be different. But to find an atheist in the midst of a family, church, school or a town, that's a betrayal of the tribe and must be punished.

If only these brave, admirable and well-meaning kids would study psychology and social dynamics before messing with the tribalistic mindset. They thought it was about religion, but it was about "honor" (that is, ridiculously over-inflated ego). Maybe Christian fundies don't have honor killings, but they have honor shunning, honor bullying and honor eviction.
I agree with all of this. And I don't have to be a Christian to realize this isn't exactly Jesus-like behavior. In fact, it's the opposite.

Interesting what you say about psychology, because I was watching an interview of Marie-Louise von Franz just the other night (from the 80s), in which she mentioned how Christianity on the whole has still not incorporated Christ's teachings into its behavior, or into its heart.

Hateful behavior isn't religion, faith, belief. It may exploit those things as an excuse, but it's not a valid one.

I agree those young people are brave, and I feel for them. I don't agree that they should know better though. If no one is brave enough to stand up for nonbelief as much as for belief, such hateful behavior will just continue and be condoned. But they do need to exercise caution, and the problem I have (in this off-shoot discussion) is the idea that anyone should purposely give up their life in these stupid religious wars. LIFE IS PRECIOUS.

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2012, 11:21 am

no true scotsman fallacy?

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2012, 12:33 pm

Cloudlet wrote:
Lord_Gareth wrote:
I can't let that pass without commenting. These folks aren't spiritual, they're basically a kind of highly territorial and xenophobic tribesmen.

to add:

They're churls. Churls bully, churls attack anything that effects their local social ladder or ignores their power structure. What so many people around here don't seem to 'get' is that out in the boonies you have religious people acting churlish not because they're religious, they act churlish because they're churls. They follow whatever belief system is most popular - which out in the boonies is theism. They do the same kind of violence to whatever belief system is popular where they're at whether its theism, atheism, conservatism, liberalism, they remain pretty consistent in what it all means to their small clannish minds. In other words - this isn't a problem that having their hearts being touched by Dawkins, Harris, or Dennett would fix - rather they'd just become their misery and grief rather than being the grief of theists.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2012, 2:35 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
Cloudlet wrote:
Lord_Gareth wrote:
I can't let that pass without commenting. These folks aren't spiritual, they're basically a kind of highly territorial and xenophobic tribesmen.

to add:

They're churls. Churls bully, churls attack anything that effects their local social ladder or ignores their power structure. What so many people around here don't seem to 'get' is that out in the boonies you have religious people acting churlish not because they're religious, they act churlish because they're churls. They follow whatever belief system is most popular - which out in the boonies is theism. They do the same kind of violence to whatever belief system is popular where they're at whether its theism, atheism, conservatism, liberalism, they remain pretty consistent in what it all means to their small clannish minds. In other words - this isn't a problem that having their hearts being touched by Dawkins, Harris, or Dennett would fix - rather they'd just become their misery and grief rather than being the grief of theists.
:cheers:
Amen to that.

SpiritBlooms
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2012, 3:56 pm

AngelRho wrote:
techstepgenr8tion wrote:
Cloudlet wrote:
Lord_Gareth wrote:

to add:

:cheers:
Amen to that.
Down with churls of all stripes.

Rocky
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2012, 4:13 pm

There is no reason to believe that spiritual things exist, except in the sense that they do exist in the mind. Some believe that they also exist outside the mind. Likewise, the mind exists, but there is no reason to believe that it exists except as a function of a brain. There may be spiritual things outside of the mind, but I withhold belief until sufficient evidence is presented.