Post things that you remember from your childhood

Page 7 of 9 [ 138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Mdyar
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2009, 2:09 am

Mom and I (I was 5 or 6 ) were driving along down the road to k-mart to get a toy(some dinosaurs) and I sat there just thinking and meditating and thinking about my existence for the first time.
I then pulled back my focus onto myself and viewed my self from an outside perspective , as me looking at me from above myself/outside myself-'detached'.

I was awestruck at becoming self-aware like this , and couldn't fathom who this person was in this body looking at the world through these eyes, and pondered the question : who am I?

I turned to my mom and asked: Mom , who am I?
She turned and said "why dear your a human being that god created".
I thought about that concept/definition and when we got home I went into the backyard walking about and catching lightning bugs and saying to myself : 'I'm a human being' , that's who I am over an over an over again.
I seemed to need an identity as I felt ethereal on this introspection.
It's been pyschedelic from this point forward for me.

CowboyFromHell
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2009, 9:01 am

So many good memories and so many bad ones... I'll post the most memorable event.

I was living on my father's ranch at the time, which had quite a lot of land. I also owned a go-kart. My friend and I were maybe about 7 and 9, or a year older. We had this stupid game where we would chase one another around the property, the goal was to stay out of the open while traveling from area to area, ducking behind big junk. Sometimes the driver would lose track of the pedestrian, if that pedestrian was a fast enough runner and could think quickly enough to hide perfectly. We'd get near the person, but not close enough to get near running the other over. At one point while I was the one driving, my friend was running across the field and I was close behind him. But for some reason he stopped and turned around to face me, as if he had a death wish. Apparently he wasn't thinking straight. But I'll never forget the priceless look on his face, a look of not only shock but a humorous look of shock that can't be matched by any professional actor. And without really having any reaction time I drove my go-kart right into him head on and he flew right over me, as if I were a bowling ball and he were the pin.

I can't explain the results. He was in no pain and he had not a scratch or bruise on him. But it was f***in' hilarious, maybe not for you but you just would've had to have been there to witness the whole ordeal.

cosmiccat
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

18 Oct 2009, 5:57 pm

I remember that Christmas was always a total and beautiful surprise. You woke up in the morning and there it was. A tree in your house with decorations and lights. Toys under the tree. Carols on the phonograph. It all seemed to happen magically while you slept. Not at all like today. People put their trees up and decorate them weeks in advance.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2009, 6:50 pm

I must remember this... topic

The smell of old cardboard in a closet--reminds me of Christmas as a kid. :roll:

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

sourus
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Oct 2009, 7:57 pm

I remember waking up in the morning and finding the windows of our house all fogged up from the cold of the night and I always had a habit of using my babies blanket to wipe it away. I loved the smell of the blanket once it had absorbed this condensation of the woodstove and cooking and whatever. I've still got the blanket (I'm in my 30's now). It was made out of the same material as most insulated underwear. I'ts such a deep memory, I feel that its so specific to me. I remember the windows of our house and I remember how i felt each morning and somehow I was connected to life by my discovery of this smell that came from this most precios material sopped with the condensation from the window. It felt like a mothers warmth.

Ahaseurus2000
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2009, 7:26 pm

tinky wrote:
the price of bread went up during the wait in line? that's awesome! and not too cool.

The Mark (Germany's currency before the Euro) is actually the New Mark, to replace the Old Mark at an exchange rate of around 1:1000. So a loaf of bread costing 3 Marks used to cost 3000 Old Marks, if you follow! The current situation in Zimbabwe is similar, because of runaway inflation you can buy one billion Zimbabwe Dollars to one US dollar.

i wanna blue wrote:
Being terrified of my teachers.

I hated my teachers at Intermediate School (years 7 to 8). They were the kind of teachers that get hired only when all the good teachers are gone (or all the other ones). One teacher forced the year 8 camping and hiking trip to go ahead despite a forecast of dangerously torrential rain "because it was my idea and you'll all do it" to paraphrase him. I remember the end of the trip, sitting on a drenched picnic bench in heavy rain, soaked to the bone, eating a soggy sandwich falling apart in my hand, angry and close to crying. Another chased after me waving an umbrella and a sharpened knitting needle after spying me slowing down during the mandatory cross-country run. And there was the "home economics" (cooking) teacher, who forced me to eat scrambled eggs I had badly cooked and then complained after I vomited (I warned her that would happen). She was always saying "don't make the dough too sticky" and the class treated that as her catchphrase!

I remember hikes and tramps with family that were wonderful. Walking through native forest and bush, listening to birdsong like you would expect to hear in pioneer times. Collecting pinecones, shells from the beach, looking for crabs and animals under rocks and in tidal pools. Going for walks with my brother during his good days, on beach fronts during holidays and even to the corner dairy after school. Even in those days Pakistani and Indian families were expressing their ethnic rivalry, in the manner of business competition I call "Cornerstore Wars". They were well established before the Chinese and Vietnamese got on board. Playing "spacies", the coin-op games in large displays, that you now find in mainly parlors and arcades.

Ahaseurus2000
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2009, 7:29 pm

Of course, when Hailey's Comet last passed by Earth! My family and me was in the front yard trying to see it with a telescope. I think it was too cloudy.

The old house in Challinor Street, Auckland (moved out when I was 15). Large house with big front and back yards. Spying through the back yard hedge to see the neighbour's beehives (

Ahaseurus2000
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2009, 7:35 pm

Of course, when Hailey's Comet last passed by Earth! My family and me was in the front yard trying to see it with a telescope. I think it was too cloudy.

The old house in Challinor Street, Auckland (moved out when I was 15). Large house with big front and back yards. Spying through the back yard hedge to see the neighbour's beehives (only a few, about 20 metres away). Dad's "hobby shed" with his model train set and the mice Mum bought for me and my brother (Mum and Dad ended up caring for them until they developed obesity and died). Part of the back yard was fenced off and I was scared of it, because I remember sneaking into it to look around and finding heaps of creepy crawlies that came out of the ground as I walked past. One looked like a cross between a centipede and a worm! Hearing the distant factory siren while getting ready for school.

AMD
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Oct 2009, 11:15 am

I remember when i was like 5, at Christmas, my brother got a chewbacca stuffed toy and i remember the fear in his face while he screamed and cried. I also remember opening a gift and thought i got an iron for Christmas, although i can't recall what was actually in it.

I remember when i was 3. I would put knives and other dangerous objects in my brother's playpen while he was in it.

I remember the day i went back to nursery school after trying out K, which didn't work out that year. I remember how happy i was to go back to my nursery school teacher. She had the longest blonde hair i had ever seen.

I remember the big earthquake when i was about 4. I had reoccurring dreams for years about that earthquake.

I also remember leaving with my mom (by car) to take lunch to my stepdad when a man walking waved at me. I told my mom and she looked. She dropped the lunch back and rushed back home to find we were robbed. My mom knew the man. He was a friend of some of my mom's brothers. I had reoccurring dreams about that for years as well. And in the dream, i looked outside a window at night and there he was (only it wasn't him) looking right in at me. I still can't look out a wondow at night (from the house). He was sentenced for 6, got out in two.

I remember being a baton twirler and quitting cause they wanted me to shake my rear. lol! I just wasn't gonna do it!

I remember going to jazzercise with my mom (i didn't join in, i sat and watched).

I remember at gymnastics at the girl's club, somebody stole my dog toy and candy i had in my backpack. My mom felt sorry and bought me my first My Little Pony.

I remember when i was in K or 1st grade, we had the sprinklers on and i saw a rainbow. I followed it to the end, which was on a brick pillar attached to the fence and there's when i found my first (and only) Pot of Gold! Over a dollar in change! I treated my brother and sister to candy from the asian market down the street. Nobody knew where the money came from.

I remember getting Tony Hawk's autograph at a park demonstration where they were hoping to build a skate park (which actually happened many, many years later!) I was obsessed with him back then. Even took several pictures of him which i still have. My son thinks i am so awesome for having his autograph and real pics of him from back then.

Anyone remember Romper Room?
Mr. Wizard's World
The Great Space Coaster with the Gnu's News show
The Land of the Lost
Pee Wee's Playhouse ~ mikalickahi mikahineeho (yeah spelling is way off, so what lol)

I better quit now before i hog a whole page.

I remember so much from my childhood, i can go on and on. It's funny cause when i ask people i knew from school, they can't even recall things that were in h.s. Why can i and they can't? It's weird. Or weird that they can't?

Sharkgirl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Oct 2011, 7:36 am

When i had just turned 5, it was christmas eve and my mother gave us some early chrissy presents cause she just couldn't help herself. I got the book Charlottes Web and at that moment the horror i experienced was overwhelming when I realized that Santa was not real and it was all an elaborate lie. I had been finding small places to hide around the house in the weeks before christmas and had come accross a garbage bag of toys - inside was charlotte's web - At the time i hadn't thought much of it. When the realisation fully hit me on Christmas eve i spent the night trying to convince my 3 year old brother of the awful truth. I even told him what all our presents were in advance so that he had irrefutable proof that Santa didn't exist. He of course didn't care where the hell the presents came from as long as he got lots of them. I really didn't care about presents, I did however hate being told a lie, even if it was supposed to be a magical fantasy for kids to enjoy, I didn't get that at all. I was totally scarred for life.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2011, 7:49 am

I remember not feeling loved by my parents because of my special interests and the many years of anguish that it's caused me. I've tried to open up on WP and talk about my special interests on WP in 2006 but with similar consequences that I had with my parents. I tried again in the Fall of 2009 and that's been going more smoothly. I think about all the special interests that I actually have and that I've kept, so I have something different to post about, each time I want to post about an interest. That way I post about each interest an average of 3 times a day and I don't annoy anybody.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2011, 10:50 am

I remember how much I used to love playing the piano. I had a natural talent for learning to play by ear - even songs that I had only heard a couple of times. But I quit playing because of an incident in band class where I tried playing in front of my peers and they booed me. Sometimes I miss playing the piano because I remember the joy it gave me when I was a child. But the memory of my classmates jeering at me prevents me from playing, because every time I sit down and try to play, the things they said still echo in my mind.

gadge
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2011, 11:18 am

OK heres 1, and I've got 100's as I remember all of it back to 3or4yr old

I was 11 and in Cub Scouts We had an occasional "activity" this one was a magician and was held on stage at my school in the evening. My father couldn't go so my grandfather took me,...it was a fathwer/son thing. Somehow I got picked to be the assistant on stage. the magician was doing the 3 metel ring trick, which I already knew how it worked. and how to open them up...detach the ring

Well the magician asked me to pull them apart, so I did with a little too much force and fell backwards into the stage curtain. the curtain enveloped me completly and I ducked down to the stage floor and the curtain returned to its normal hanging position I wasn't there..... I walked out on stage from the side with the ring in my hand.

Even back then I knew the magician wasn't happy that a kid took apart the rings but to do a disapearing act on top of that.must of burst his bubble a bit. I felt so embarassed that I couldn't continue and as well, they got another volunteer from the audience.

Really wish I had that one on film .......it was before video/digital cameras.

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2011, 11:18 am

I have memories from the age when i was 2. I remember sitting in a chair playing with a toy, i remembering climbing onto a shelf and it falling over me. I remember a sensation in my throat suffocating me, my mom told me years later that i ate a marble when i was a toddler. I remember standing in a window with dad pointing out cars and telling their names.

People who say that it's impossible to remember things from before the age of 4 are either:

A) Idiots
or
B) have defective brain cells.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

19 Oct 2011, 1:29 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34Sb0hGUNIQ[/youtube]

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2011, 1:38 pm

Tom & Jerry and The Kinks. Those are the two happiest things that I remember from my childhood. :)