Page 1 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

AstroGeek
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2012, 3:47 pm

zxy3cpn wrote:
AstroGeek wrote:
Mostly I just use it to write a script that will invoke various Python programs and then feed the output into Gnuplot.

If you wanted to, you could use Python for plotting as well, with matplotlib.

Eh, I've already learned gnuplot. I can't be bothered to learn another one as well. Anyway, there are a few other reasons why I use shell scripts, although there might be ways to do those in Python too.

rll
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Jun 2012, 9:54 am

CyanogenMOD on my phone.

FreeBSD on the server.

Gentoo on my workstation with BackTrack, Debian, Mint, Ubuntu, FreeBSD, HAIKU and various versions of windows running inside KVM from time to time.

OpenWRT on my router.

*FreeBSD and HAIKU are not Linux distributions.

Languages: Some asm(x86/arm/avr ), bash, batch, C, Cpp, poweshell, python.
Some more that I haven't used in ages - BASIC, Pascal, SQL, LISP

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2012, 4:01 pm

Debian GNU/Linux testing (wheezy) with some packages from unstable (sid) and experimental (latest Iceweasel, for example)

scubasteve
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2012, 3:45 pm

amboxer21 wrote:
nostromo wrote:
I don't do programming, however I use Debian a bit. The reason I use Debian is apt-get :heart: and you can easily make Debian a really lightweight unbloated install (e.g. use Ice window manager) which still runs OK on older laptops. I use these as packet collecters (I'm a network engineer) because they are readily available and portable, and I take them to places and leave them running things like snort and ntop.
I have tried distros like Ubuntu which work great if you have horsepower, but run really badly on older stuff, (as bad if not worse than Windows).

apt-get is awesome! One thing I miss about debian is definitely apt-get! Arch uses pacman, its not bad at all. Its actually quite similar. I like Ubuntu because its super east to use but its not fun anymore. The install is just click and point and does allow complete controlled over the system and its customization like arch provides.

I use Arch as well. Apt is nice (more so with Aptitude imo than Apt-get) but if you're looking to do a highly customized, lightweight installation, Arch/Pacman is hard to beat. I did a full-featured install on my desktop with a Mate+Compiz setup, and it still starts up twice as fast as Ubuntu.

amboxer21
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Jun 2012, 8:30 pm

scubasteve wrote:
amboxer21 wrote:
nostromo wrote:
I don't do programming, however I use Debian a bit. The reason I use Debian is apt-get :heart: and you can easily make Debian a really lightweight unbloated install (e.g. use Ice window manager) which still runs OK on older laptops. I use these as packet collecters (I'm a network engineer) because they are readily available and portable, and I take them to places and leave them running things like snort and ntop.
I have tried distros like Ubuntu which work great if you have horsepower, but run really badly on older stuff, (as bad if not worse than Windows).

apt-get is awesome! One thing I miss about debian is definitely apt-get! Arch uses pacman, its not bad at all. Its actually quite similar. I like Ubuntu because its super east to use but its not fun anymore. The install is just click and point and does allow complete controlled over the system and its customization like arch provides.

I use Arch as well. Apt is nice (more so with Aptitude imo than Apt-get) but if you're looking to do a highly customized, lightweight installation, Arch/Pacman is hard to beat. I did a full-featured install on my desktop with a Mate+Compiz setup, and it still starts up twice as fast as Ubuntu.

Apt-get is awesome!! I think the best by far! You should post a desktop screen shot in the desktop screenshot thread so I can see. So we all can see!! ! I want to try gentoo or slackare next just don't know which. I have heard they are not as easy as to install as Arch is though.

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2012, 10:01 am

Currently finishing up the install of SolusOS 1.1, which is essentially Debian Squeeze with the 3.3.6 Kernel, GNOME 2.30 and Firefox 12. --Nice to have a version of Debian Stable with Mod Cons.

compiledkernel
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Jun 2012, 10:17 am

Archlinux on all VPSs

BSDs on m desktop virtualization products

All run on Apple Hardware (and OSX of course).

Anon1100
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

14 Jun 2012, 8:55 pm

BackTrack5; learning Python

DefKoN
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

15 Jun 2012, 3:53 am

used to have centos on my servers, now i use ubuntu, after trying opensuse for a while.

my desktop uses WinXP 64bit, <the love of my life :P

Reindeer
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Jun 2012, 10:25 am

I use Ubuntu Linux 12.04 with gnome-shell.
I have used other distros like Sabayon Linux and Fedora ;) but Ubuntu Linux pulls me back >.<
I really enjoy using Ubuntu because of the apt-get, the software store and just overall the system :D
I know that I can use those things on Debian Linux as well but I just can't seem to make myself install Debian.

Oh and I have root access to my friends server which runs CentOS but he will switch to Debian 7 in july :)

AstroGeek
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2012, 2:24 pm

Reindeer wrote:
Oh and I have root access to my friends server which runs CentOS but he will switch to Debian 7 in july :)

That's one trusting friend.

Siddhi
Raven
Raven

17 Jun 2012, 3:05 pm

I use Debian Sid with Gnome 3, although i am having issues with it as it keeps on crashing. So i am actually using Gnome Classic which is thankfully still available. I like KDE as desktop but somehow there have been issues with it which i have not been able to figure out so i dont want to mess around with it right now. :-)

I used Ubuntu in the past. :-)

I want to use fedora next. I have been trying to get my brother to let me. I am a complete novice with software and essentially depend on synaptic package manager for everything. So i have to be very careful so that i dont mess it up completely when my brother is not close at hand. Although i can work with him telling me what to do. So i am familiar to that point. :-)

PenguinCoder
Butterfly
Butterfly

19 Jun 2012, 1:23 am

most familiar with:
BackTrack, Debian, Red Hat, FreeBSD, Slackware, Ubuntu Server, Cisco IOS, Windows

playing with:
OpenVMS (is Not Unix, or Open), Mac OSx, and any thing that catches my eye

playing with in the past:

you name it

mcg
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2012, 12:06 pm

gnuWin32 :wink:

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2012, 9:41 am

Siddhi wrote:
I use Debian Sid with Gnome 3, although i am having issues with it as it keeps on crashing. So i am actually using Gnome Classic which is thankfully still available. I like KDE as desktop but somehow there have been issues with it which i have not been able to figure out so i dont want to mess around with it right now. :-)

I used Ubuntu in the past. :-)

I want to use fedora next. I have been trying to get my brother to let me. I am a complete novice with software and essentially depend on synaptic package manager for everything. So i have to be very careful so that i dont mess it up completely when my brother is not close at hand. Although i can work with him telling me what to do. So i am familiar to that point. :-)

Try this. It's Debian Stable with a 3.3.6 Kernel, and some up to date software packages.

Last edited by Fogman on 20 Jun 2012, 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mjones490
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Jun 2012, 12:15 pm

Being a programmer, I enjoy the hell out compiling everything from source, so I use Linux From Scratch. Building one of those systems will really clue you in on the nuts-and-bolts of Linux.

Definitely not for everybody though!