Full-time permanent music teacher...my success story!

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

bombergal
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Jun 2012, 10:42 am

I graduated from university in 2007 with my Early Years after degree. That fall I had a rural job teaching in four small towns as a term position and had so much trouble with classroom management and being consistent so I wasn't hired back the following year. I was so devasted but then moved to a city and was a substitute teacher plus taught piano lessons at a well-known music school. However, I wasn't hired back at that music school but I didn't tell anyone of my Asperger's (don't know who to tell about that). The next job in 2009 was a part-time term at one school that I got at the last minute but wow did myself and admin not get along and it was always tense (needless to say, wasn't hired back because they were pretty mean and petty). Then I had to move to a small city to teach music at a school in 2010 and have been there ever since. I worked there full-time this year on a term because I had to learn how to teach in French! I have since done that and have been hired at that school full-time permanent starting next year!

I think the big difference between being hired perm vs. not was my disclosure in 2010 to admin that I have asperger's. It was not an easy thing to do but it gave my employers a lot of understanding of my quirks. Should I tell the entire staff that I have it next year? I have been excluded from some social events and don't have a lot of support from several staff members.

jhighl
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Jun 2012, 12:28 pm

Nice good going.

Vomelche
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2012, 1:53 pm

I wouldnt tell anyone unless they ask. People often dont react well to different. Grats on the job though, im sure u can find a way to fit in more less .

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2012, 2:36 pm

bombergal wrote:
. . . Then I had to move to a small city to teach music at a school in 2010 and have been there ever since. I worked there full-time this year on a term because I had to learn how to teach in French! I have since done that and have been hired at that school full-time permanent starting next year!

I think the big difference between being hired perm vs. not was my disclosure in 2010 to admin that I have asperger's. It was not an easy thing to do but it gave my employers a lot of understanding of my quirks. . .

Congratulations on your success! :D

Now, a lot of new teachers struggle with classroom management, and perhaps those of us on the spectrum more than most. I know I struggled mightily with classroom management my one and only year of teaching. I taught algebra and geometry to 9th and 10th graders (age 14-16) at an all-boys Catholic high school back in school year 1997-98. It was like the kids recognized me as one of their own and didn't take me seriously as an authority. Now, having some child-like qualities is probably an advantage in life (and certainly in art and writing), although it probably does make it harder to be viewed as a classic, down-the-line authority. Looking back, it was probably just a subset of students I had trouble with, but these problems spilled over and then some kids on the borderline misbehaved.

writingresearcher
Butterfly
Butterfly

04 Jun 2012, 2:50 pm

I've struggled with classroom management too, and am NT... it's such a difficult thing regardless I think. For me, I'm a soft-spoken individual and that probably contributed.

Congratulations on your success though-- that is wonderful!

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2012, 3:04 pm

bombergal wrote:
. . . Should I tell the entire staff that I have it next year? I have been excluded from some social events and don't have a lot of support from several staff members.
Probably as much a question of how than of whether. And I've got to think a big part of it is bite-sized pieces, unless someone is highly interested, say they have a family member who's on the spectrum. And even then, if it was me, I'd give a medium dose. Sharing too much at all once in live time, I guess kind of gives me an emotional hangover (?), and it can make it awkward the next time I see the person.

bombergal
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Jun 2012, 7:46 am

Well it just signified a triumph over all my struggles in life so it was HUGE to me to get permanent status. Admin knows about my asperger's but they don't treat me differently...they are very direct and honest with me but treat me with integrity which I need.

I just think back to my elementary school days and remember that I was pulled from the classroom during spelling time (because I was too strong at it) for social skills training but at the time it wasn't really sinking in and I couldn't apply this knowledge to real-life situations. I met the love of my life when I was 21 and he is a really amazing person and has helped with my social skills a lot. He has a mental illness so he understands what it's like to be stigmatized and I attribute my success to him because he believed in me and tried to help in a constructive me.

That in itself is likely why I have my permanent job. I hope to be with him forever.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2012, 6:02 pm

Congratulations on having a good relationship. And I'm sure you're able to help him, too, just by being real and being present.

Let me ask you for your advice regarding this situation. In previous relationships, before I knew I was on the spectrum, I was critical of myself or thought I was 'bad' for needing a lot of alone time even in the midst of a relationship. What I like to do is have a big chunk of time in the middle of the day for my own artistic and/or intellectual projects. I also like go wander, say, go to the bookstore, library, take long walks, without a rigid schedule I must keep to. Now, not everyone on the spectrum is going to be like this, but if you have any ideas how to communicate this to a partner in a positive, work-together, win-together way, I'd appreciate it.

bombergal
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Jun 2012, 6:41 am

I am exactly the same way...my boyfriend and I spend lots of time together but I do have my own apartment for my alone time...I like it that way. I also take walks when I'm at his apartment for some exercise and climbing some hills. We both know we don't want to get married so we're not even going that route. I love him but know I need my space sometimes too, so that's why we're living apart. He broke up with me a couple of years ago when he was manic and it was wrong and he's been wonderful to me ever since he became stable again. It was devastating and led me to have pneumonia for weeks because of the stress.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2012, 6:45 pm

Way back in 1989, I had a lady friend who struggled with manic-depressive disorder. At the time, in a way, I think I tried too hard to understand her. It's like I wanted to understand it all at once in a verbal, left-brain, analytic way. And I think I missed some of the feel-and-texture and understanding in the gut. It later occurred to me, hey, she explains something and I understand 60% of it, and that's probably just fine as a first pass. And then, later on if she explains some more, I can understand another big chunk. I'm kind of letting myself arc across the topics as she explains in her own way, and letting the understanding build up over time.

I've read that people in the manic phase can have delusions and auditory hallucinations. That the symptoms can be similar to schizophrenia and it can be hard to tell the two conditions apart. That it generally helps to have someone there with them, but then they can push this person away. Plus, it's real hard to be a caretaker, especially if there are no broader resources to call upon.

Sometimes I wish we could have gotten married, but she went her separate way. I'm glad you got a second chance. :D

namaste
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2012, 3:36 am

i have continued in the same job for a year now.

i was kicked out from many places earlier i was a bad teacher due to poor class control and was bad administrator due to poor communication skills

presently i work for underprivilaged children in a ngo

the colleagues are nasty they play politics around me and now in this one year they have formed groups but i am left out and all alone. if the situation gets worse i would just quit because its scary to be bullied and harassed

but i am sincere, hardworking and complete all my task on time

ooo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Jun 2012, 12:37 am

Vomelche wrote:
I wouldnt tell anyone unless they ask. People often dont react well to different. Grats on the job though, im sure u can find a way to fit in more less .

+1