Page 2 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

outofplace
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2012, 11:00 pm

My mom dismissed it too but said I have some mild traits. After which I reminded her of the obsessive nature of my singular interest in childhood. She says I don't have it because I don't have disruptive repetitive behaviors like stims. She neglects the fact that I have dressed mostly the same since I was 12 and haven't changed my hair style since then either, or that I haven't been able to get rid of my first car yet, despite the fact that it hasn't ran in over 5 years. She also doesn't want to remember my total mental breakdown I had at 18 or the persistent panic attacks that were with me throughout my childhood. Then again, her only real experience with autism came in the 1970's when she was a student teacher at a special needs school and had to deal with a violent child who was low functioning. Thus, her view is slanted towards all of autism being that extreme example. She's also rigidly perfectionistic when it comes to perceptions and I think she probably doesn't want to be seen as having someone in her immediate family with a significant mental disability. Then again, it could just be my perception. I know she loves me dearly and probably views my childhood through a set of rose colored glasses that I don't wear.

My point? You are not alone in this problem with parental perceptions. However, you also have to try and see it from their point of view. It may not be that they don't care but that they love you and want only to see the good while forgetting the bad or negative things about you.