SEVERE AUTISTICS-CAN YOU "NORMALLY" FUNCTION W/O S

Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

amboxer21
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Jun 2012, 9:36 pm

redrobin62 wrote:
Why someone would want to be on the spectrum is beyond me! I'd rather be where the normal folks are, getting drunk at normal folks parties, taking my kid to normal folks baseball games, getting stuffed with popcorn at the normal folks movie theatres.

Some people do and its beyond me. Maybe it makes them feel better about being weird... IDK.

You don't think I want to be like everyone else too? I don't want to collect a measly $700 a month from SSI. I want to work and have nice things! Do you think I want to be friendless? I want friends too! I don't want to sit in my room everyday programming. I want a girl friend but I am horrible with intimacy and have no idea what I am supposed to do to even develop a relationship. My family avoids me. It sucks!

There are people who say they are proud to be an aspie, that its a gift. How is this a gift? It's a ****ing curse! Why would you be proud to have a cummunication retardation? I'm embarrasssed!

A lot of members here have jobs and kids and significant others. To me, that shows that they are capable of communicating and developing relationahips.

I'm sick of people claiming to have this but yet they don't know what it's actually like to be alone and incapable of human relationships.

There is nothing to be proud of! This is not a gift! Look around the forum. You will see what I mean!

Washi
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2012, 9:43 pm

deltafunction wrote:
SkyHeart wrote:
I do not have sevear autism. I have moderate autism. I can not respond always. I do understand. I was in a clas for peopel with disabilty. Most there had intelectal disability like down syndrome. the teachers woudl talk in front of me like I could not understand. then they realise I could understand. then they ague about how much I could understand. Some things I did not. but Alot I did. By the end of my years there they knew I was very smart.

talk clear and not to long sentences. and not to many at one time. do not ask questions. somtiems when peopel ask me questions I have a melt down.

Huh. I'm curious about your experience in the special ed class. It seems that teachers talk as if the kids have no clue more often than I would expect at least. Reminds me of this youtube clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfkscHt96R0

The teachers were talking about adult topics in front of 10-year-olds. Though it got worse because the kid was also bullied by the teachers... Sounds rough.

That happened close to where I live and I posted the video on my FaceBook page, someone (because they are a teacher currently working with a special ed class) had the gaul to stick up for the school and complain about the video. I wanted so badly to tell her how ignorant she was but she is a relative of my husband (through marriage) and we often spend holidays together so I didn't dare tell her what I really thought over facebook, I don't like drama so I just deleted her post. I wished one of other parents of autistic children on my friends list had seen her remark first and done it for me.

deltafunction
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2012, 9:47 pm

Washi wrote:
deltafunction wrote:
SkyHeart wrote:
I do not have sevear autism. I have moderate autism. I can not respond always. I do understand. I was in a clas for peopel with disabilty. Most there had intelectal disability like down syndrome. the teachers woudl talk in front of me like I could not understand. then they realise I could understand. then they ague about how much I could understand. Some things I did not. but Alot I did. By the end of my years there they knew I was very smart.

talk clear and not to long sentences. and not to many at one time. do not ask questions. somtiems when peopel ask me questions I have a melt down.

Huh. I'm curious about your experience in the special ed class. It seems that teachers talk as if the kids have no clue more often than I would expect at least. Reminds me of this youtube clip:

The teachers were talking about adult topics in front of 10-year-olds. Though it got worse because the kid was also bullied by the teachers... Sounds rough.

That happened close to where I live and I posted the video on my FaceBook page, someone (because they are a teacher currently working with a special ed class) had the gaul to stick up for the school and complain about the video. I wanted so badly to tell her how ignorant she was but she is a relative of my husband (through marriage) and we often spend holidays together so I didn't dare tell her what I really thought over facebook, I don't like drama so I just deleted her post. I wished one of other parents of autistic children on my friends list had seen her remark first and done it for me.

Wow. I'm amazed that anyone would defend that kind of behaviour. If it weren't a special ed class, many parents and teachers wouldn't condone that kind of behaviour in teachers around children. There wouldn't be a second thought about it.

Washi
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2012, 10:03 pm

deltafunction wrote:
Washi wrote:
deltafunction wrote:
SkyHeart wrote:

Wow. I'm amazed that anyone would defend that kind of behaviour. If it weren't a special ed class, many parents and teachers wouldn't condone that kind of behaviour in teachers around children. There wouldn't be a second thought about it.

I bet she didn't even watch the whole video but searched for a news report on it instead, I watched several and they all left out the worst parts. She tried to say that it was only one side of the story and that teachers see behavior that parents don't see at home .... what she doesn't realize is how difficult my own son's behavior is, he can really drive me up the wall but even when he pushes me to the point where I lose my temper I'd never resort to calling him such derogatory names nor would I ever insult his intelligence by having inappropriate conversations in front of him. If a teacher or aid can't help doing this they aren't qualified to work with special needs kids.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2012, 11:20 pm

I don't lose speech often, but when I do, I lose speech before I lose comprehension. It makes sense to me that this would hold true for many non-verbal people: Understanding what is said may be an easier thing to do than producing speech of your own. There's just less of a cognitive load.

I absolutely hate it when people talk over my head, like I haven't got a clue. That isn't exclusive to autistics who can't talk--though they get it a heck of a lot more than I do, probably. It's like I'm not just immature, but somehow reduced to an object. Makes me feel like I'm cornered, like they're trying to take away my identity. I don't mean like a delusional belief that I'm losing myself; just the emotions that would come along with it, however irrational I know they are. It's frightening, overwhelming. I hate it. It triggers meltdowns when they don't see me as an equal. Maybe it's because it brings back a lot of bad memories--the way I got treated in the past, the way they took my ability to choose my own actions away from me. Don't ever do that to anybody. I'd prefer to be hit in the face any day.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com