Have you ever made a sarcastic joke? Do you understand them?

Page 3 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

tall-p
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2012, 12:40 am

A dyslexic walks into a bra...

rebbieh
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2012, 2:00 am

I can be sarcastic sometimes but I often don't understand other people's sarcastic jokes.

TalksToCats
Toucan
Toucan

26 Jun 2012, 2:43 am

To answer this question I have to define what I think of as sarcasm.

I think of sarcasm as belittling or being negative about a person or a thing, but not actually meaning it, for comic effect.

The problem for me is that people being negative or unpleasant about others makes me really uncomfortable so even if it's meant as a joke I don't find it funny. I also find it very difficult to tell if a person is really joking, or pretending to joke in order to have an excuse to be nasty. I guess for me sarcasm has an element of personal attack in it and that just makes me uncomfortable.

So using the above definition, I don't do sarcasm; I often don't understand it or find it funny.

Satire and irony I can usually spot, and enjoy. I use irony, - by which I mean qusing a word or phrase I don't mean for comic effect, an amount, though sometimes people think I'm being serious, so I have to explain myself.

Generally I just rely on what I think of dry wit, rather than sarcasm, that is to say I use dry or sharp comments / observations that are accurate but comic, but not in any way a personal attack.

MarthaCannary
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Jun 2012, 3:01 am

I have been told that I have a "dry" "prickly" sense of humor, I think it's just my acerbic wit and scathing sarcasm that confuses people. I to grew up with sarcasm, but not the friendly funny kind. Combine that with the intellect, special interests, utter lack of empathy, eidetic long term memory... NT's don't stand a chance. They either don't get it or they get right offended. The problem is, it's usually an inside joke to me. I'll end up having to explain it to whoever I told it to. Which sometimes means I have to educate them about something or other. Turns a simple comment about something into a long drawn out process.....

Only two people currently understand my humor and sarcasm. Everyone else looks at me like I'm from Mars.

When other people use sarcasm, I tend either to not get it, or I have to look it up to understand it. Same goes for jokes unless I've already heard them.

Me: 1, NT's: 1

I'll call it a draw.

Case in point, earlier today I was lamenting out loud to my big orange cat that refuses to bathe himself that he stinks, and I followed it up with a threat to shave him bald, cover him in peanut butter and lock him in the bathroom with the dog (the dog likes to lick, a lot). Boyfriend overheard what I was saying and says "Jesus your mean!!" and he starts laughing. Anyone else would think that I actually intended to do what I said because of the way I said it.

The first time I ever threatened the cats, to take them for a swim with a pillowcase and their friends "The Rocks" the boyfriend was appalled. Now he understands that it's my way of expressing frustration.. not to be taken literally. Now when the cats are bugging us I can just say, "Time for the pillowcase?" and the boyfriend just nods his head....

outofplace
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2012, 3:27 am

I use lots of sarcasm but miss it about 50% of the time when it comes from others. Even when I do know that it is sarcasm, by the time I realize it I will have automatically responded to it in a manner that I would have used if it were literal! It seems that to me, everything in life is seen as an intellectual challenge and I find it hard to relax, have fun and live in the moment. (Then again to me intellectual challenges are fun...)

I also work with 2 or 3 others who I suspect are on the spectrum and they can't always get sarcasm either. It's like watching 4 Sheldons try to use sarcastic humor with each other but each time having to confirm or deny the fact that it was sarcasm. Two of us even use Sheldon quotes when dealing with it in order to try and laugh about it.

Kinme
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2012, 3:32 am

I'm a very sarcastic person, but I don't always know when people are being sarcastic toward me or others.

Sanctus
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2012, 5:14 am

I have almost no problems with sarcasm. I don't use it that often, but I'm able to. And I can understand it when others do. I do have problems though when somebody is trying to pull a prank on me (is that the correct way to say it in English?). In that case I find it very hard to figure out whether that person is serious or not. For example, a few weeks ago, we were getting back an exam, and I had come a little too late. The teacher said he would keep my exam. I was really confused and couldn't imagine why, but of course he just wanted to make fun about how I'd come too late.

CWA
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2012, 9:38 am

I can execute it ok. Understand it 50% of the time. Soemtimes I take it literally. It depends ont he person executing the "joke" and the signals they are sending and whether or not I can make sense of the signals. I'm not good with signals in general. My style of executing humor is very dry and clever, because it's calculated. A couple of my coworkers have caught on that I don't always get it and am also quite gullible. They love telling me crazy stuff and seeing how long I buy it for.

I enjoy watching funny movies or tv shows however I often do not laugh out loud. If it is REALLY over the top or really appealing to me I will laugh out loud. I will also watch the movie over and over and over. I think I watched Idiocracy about 50 times before it was "Accidentally" deleted from the dvr. I think my husband got sick of watching it even though he likes the movie too. I will probably buy it on dvd and watch it another 50 times. There are a couple of others that I really like. Nothing really recent that I can think of though.

Tonydev
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Jun 2012, 9:54 am

I use a lot of sarcasm, and it was the reason I was told I didn't have AS when I was first assessed 20 years ago

edgewaters
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2012, 9:56 am

TalksToCats wrote:
The problem for me is that people being negative or unpleasant about others makes me really uncomfortable so even if it's meant as a joke I don't find it funny ... I use dry or sharp comments / observations that are accurate but comic, but not in any way a personal attack.

And how do you deal with those who are malicious towards you? Do you spare their feelings?

aSKperger
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Jun 2012, 1:08 pm

It is strange, cause I use sarkasm and irony all the time - and humour as such. In fact, most of the time I am not serious and people tend to complain about it.
But sometimes I have problem with taking words to literally, mostly when they want me to bring something "it is there under the table" - meaning 2 meters away etc...

bernerbrau
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Jun 2012, 1:12 pm

I use sarcasm all the time.

Trouble is, I'm so deadpan that people frequently misread my sarcasm as genuine, and it almost always takes me beat or two to figure out if someone else is being sarcastic, which leads to the "lighten up it was a joke" refrain. Yeah I get that it was a joke. I'm just struggling with the appropriate social convention here.

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2012, 1:23 pm

Nope, I'm never sarcastic ever.

TalksToCats
Toucan
Toucan

26 Jun 2012, 2:05 pm

edgewaters wrote:
TalksToCats wrote:
The problem for me is that people being negative or unpleasant about others makes me really uncomfortable so even if it's meant as a joke I don't find it funny ... I use dry or sharp comments / observations that are accurate but comic, but not in any way a personal attack.

And how do you deal with those who are malicious towards you? Do you spare their feelings?

Generally I back away or I ignore them, if absolutely necessary I might run away as fast as possible.

I hate arguments in person and avoid them. I'm more assertive in texts and emails and on the phone, but still avoid arguments where possible, I try to mediate instead.

I'm not sure whether this is always the best approach. I have never mastered the witty put down.

I don't like to hurt any persons feelings if I can avoid it.

A teacher at school once told my parents I was 'too nice.'

I very rarely ever have people be malicious to me though these days.

AScomposer13413
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2012, 10:01 pm

I get insanely sarcastic when incredibly tired and/or irritated. In instances where I'm not. usually I only use it in a case where it's incredibly obvious and everyone knows it was meant in light jest.