Can't go out and have fun because of Social Phobia

Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

MonkeyMojo
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 Aug 2012, 11:26 am

All so familiar!
The simple thruth is that we go unoticed. People may look but they do not "see". That's the point.
Of course, this is so easy to say. Until you accept that you are not important to strangers, in a crowd or wherever, your feelings won't change.
Please understand that I do sympathise as I have been there (now 43). I could be kidding myself, but I almost enjoy moving unseen in a crowd, like they do not know my secret. I am now an adept social imposter (lol). A coping mechanism I suppose. It works for me. Well, it works most of the time.

I've always avoided going out of my comfort zone and will do only if strictly necessary and it mostly involves constant internal monologue, risk assessment and learned responses. This can cause you to miss the concert :( It takes practice, multi-tasking I suppose.

Sheldon (Big Bang Theory) concedes to "Non-optional social convention". In this respect alone he's a good role model despite being an obnoxious fictional character. Regrettably, having a family gets you into this zone. Good luck to all in this zone :)

I hope this does not come across as flippant, it's real to me.
All/most of us here have this in common, we are all on the same side!
Monkeymojo out!

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2012, 3:00 pm

Well I can't say I suffer from all too much social anxiety, I do only when I'm around people my age in a small group setting, that's my main suffering point.

With strangers and random people, though, just remember this. You'll probably never see them again. So out in public, I can exude a reasonable amount of confidence, and just not care, as I'll just never see those people again. I'll strike up conversations no problem. Why? I'll never see them again, so it almost makes them "virtual" people in a sense. Sounds weird and almost sociopathic, and to be fair, some people use this power for evil (ie, to troll people, do stupid things in public, etc) but yeah.