Musicians who have (or may have?) Asperger's Syndrome.

Page 31 of 31 [ 490 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31

Spunge42
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Feb 2022, 5:05 pm

turnleftaticela that was really interesting. I love Gensis and didn't know any of this. I rarely watch interviews etc of my favorite artists. Sometimes I don't even want to know what they look like. Not sure why. I suppose music is about sound to me and putting a picture to it sometimes ruins it for me.

"I sat with my anger long enough, until she told me her real name was grief."

turnleftaticela
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 Mar 2022, 5:10 pm

Oh wow! I haven’t checked for replies here because I’ve been scared people would respond negatively to what I wrote. Realistically I didn’t expect anyone to respond at all, much less respond positively! Wow!

Thank you both so much. Today I decided to come back to this site and try my hand at starting to use it properly, and the vast difference between here and my usual peers is already evident. Something tells me the wrong planet is the right planet for me. :,)

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2022, 8:57 am

Kingfish - Blues phenom

Quote:
So why is Kingfish — who has been described by Guy as “the next explosion of the blues” and by Rolling Stone as “one of the most exciting young guitarists in years,” and who appeared simultaneously on the covers of both Guitar World and Downbeat in February 2021 — such a big deal? Why is he already taking on the role of a generational blues talent who will accept the torch from his elders and represent the genre in the mainstream — the anointed ambassador of the blues who, like B.B. King before him, will be showing up everywhere from the White House to “Sesame Street” for decades to come?

First, he’s a bluesman in full, not just another amazing guitar player who can sing a little. He has a deep, soulful voice, a powerful instrument in its own right, which these days he’s working hard to make as limber and expressive as his guitar playing. “

Kingfish experiences colors when he hears or plays music, a variety of associative synesthesia — when the stimulation of one sense involuntarily inspires a strong feeling related to another sense — known as chromesthesia. An E minor chord may have a “darkish blue” feel for him, “or a major chord might be yellow.” Because of this, his mother accepted as medical fact the suggestion made by a doctor that Christone might have Asperger’s syndrome, which is no longer officially recognized as a diagnosis separate from autism. She regarded Asperger’s as “more positive than negative” in his case because she believed it gave him a special gift for music, and she talked about it freely. As a result, it has been widely reported that he’s on the autism spectrum. When I asked him about it, he said, “No, there was never, like, an official diagnosis from a doctor, but I don’t make a big deal out of it. I can say that’s what opened doors for me to work with organizations for musicians who have special needs, like United by Music North America, to be a mentor.”

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2022, 9:07 am

turnleftaticela wrote:
I have no idea if anybody uses this website anymore; in fact, I have no idea what it even is. [EDIT: Okay, I looked around a little bit. Seems cool here.] I literally just made this account to post a reply to this thread, because I need to get this out somewhere people might understand:

I am 110% convinced Tony Banks of Genesis is autistic.

- He doesn’t sugarcoat; he’s very upfront about his opinions on his and his band members’ past work, to the point where the general public see him as a bit of an as*hole for voicing the negative ones so often, but he has a very logical explanation behind each of his opinions, positive or negative.

- Another reason he gets perceived as an as*hole is his facial expressions. Go to the comments section of any interview with him and I guarantee you’ll find at least one “[timestamp] Did Tony Banks just smile????” comment. But if you watch a lot of interviews, you’ll find he actually smiles pretty often — he just has the world’s worst case of RBF, a pretty classic autie thing.

- He really hates surprises. It’s pretty well-documented that Peter Gabriel’s antics (“singing over [Tony’s] bit,” appearing on stage in a fox head and red dress without running it by Tony first, etc.) and Tony’s angry reactions to them comprised a majority of the tension and drama in the band’s early days. I’m also reminded of that one interview from 2007 where Peter says something along the lines of “Any creative person wants to push themselves and go outside the box” and Tony cuts in, “Speak for yourself!”

- He’s got a near-encyclopedic memory of Genesis’ history. No matter how many decades have passed, he can talk about details and dates of old events like they happened last week. Watch his segments of the 2007 Genesis interviews to see what I’m talking about. (Funnily enough, it’s almost exactly the same way I talk about Genesis’ history — and I wasn’t even alive for most of it!)

- He considers himself a rather reserved person (or in his words, “I don’t bite the heads off chickens”) and gets stressed out by interviews. He also doesn’t care much for the performing side of his career — he doesn’t mind it per se, but when playing on stage he considers himself more of a spectator to the whole event. Hell, he didn’t even intend on becoming a performer in the first place; Genesis was originally just meant to be a songwriting collective.

- As a kid, he learned to pick out songs on piano by ear — not just hits (although he was fascinated with the top 10), but pieces written by the likes of his favorite composers Rachmaninoff and Ravel, too.

- His lyrics tend to be pretty straightforward — plenty of moving stories, but written in very grounded and literal terms. And when they’re not strictly stories, they often get rather analytical and logically philosophical.

- Speaking of which, before joining Genesis, Tony was studying mathematics, physics, and philosophy at university.

- As far as keyboards go, he was a self-described “stiff player” in the band’s early days, and though he loosened up a bit over time, he still retained a penchant for repetitive techniques, the best example of which I can think of is the song “Keep It Dark” off Abacab (1981).

- He often sits funny, fidgets, even rocks a little sometimes. And as far as moving to music goes, the Tony Banks Head Bop oughta be patented. Also, his spacial perception is a little sus — I’m reminded of the clip where he’s trying to work out the rhythm of “Second Home by the Sea” and he whacks Mike Rutherford in the face with a pen without even noticing.

- He’s got a fear of flying because “if you stop thinking about it, the plane goes down” — this gives me OCD vibes, and OCD has a lot of overlap with ASD.

- His debut solo album, A Curious Feeling, is a concept album based on the story Flowers for Algernon, which is about a janitor with a low IQ who undergoes an experimental scientific procedure that temporarily gives him a high IQ, and he’s a genius for a while, but gradually his intellect dwindles till he’s right back where he started. If an autistic person wouldn’t relate to that so hard they’re inspired to make a concept album about it, I dunno who would.

- I haven’t even mentioned the unadventurous sweaters thing or the being soothed by gardening thing but I’ve been writing this post for way too long and I have to go to bed soon, so I’ll leave you with this quote:

- “He was a really awkward bastard.” -Peter Gabriel, 2007

(Sorry for the essay lol; I just found out I’m autistic a couple weeks ago [I’m 21], and suddenly it makes so much more sense why I’ve been so fixated on Genesis and Tony Banks since I first discovered them at age 16.)

I think progressive rock is a aspie friendly genre. It emphasizes exacting music and topics of lyrics are often esoteric.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2022, 12:23 pm

Martin Newell, from The Cleaners From Venus. ASD and dyspraxia. A master songwriter.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2022, 6:43 pm

Two of the founders of Bebop: Charlie Parker, and Thelonius Monk, are both likely aspies.

Our History of Jazz professor told an anecdote about Monk: he was playing a gig one night in 1947, and someone told him that "there is cat playing piano at a joint across the street who looks just like you". So Monk checked it out. Met the guy "some guys told me that you look just like me, and you do..".

Monk met the same guy again in 1952, and upon meeting him the first words out of Monk's mouth were "but you're uglier than I am".

He finished a sentence he had started five years earlier!

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2023, 9:57 pm

Aria lead singer of the metal band 'The Other LA'

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2023, 8:30 pm

I've heard it said about him often.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Rossall
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2023, 5:56 pm

Always thought Suzanne Vega has it:

Interests: music (especially 80s), computers, electronics, amateur radio, soccer (Liverpool).

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2023, 10:43 pm

Rossall wrote:
Always thought Suzanne Vega has it:

I do not know about her neurology but I have always related to this song