Musicians who have (or may have?) Asperger's Syndrome.

Page 29 of 31 [ 490 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next

goodbenefit
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 May 2017, 8:33 am

Also:
Craig Nicholls - The Vines
Marco Ricci - Casa del Mirto
maybe Bradford Cox - Atlas Sound and Deerhunter

Tom Parker
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

15 May 2017, 8:48 am

Yupa wrote:
It's common knowledge that pianist Glenn Gould and the lead singer of the Vines both had Asperger's Syndrome, but can any of us think of any others?
This topic occured to me after I read the wikipedia article on Tom Shear of the one man band Assemblage 23, who, although not diagnosed, seemed very much like he had Asperger's Syndrome.

Keith Jarrett, the brilliant jazz pianist famous for his solo piano free-improvisation may have Aspergers. He struggles with sensory overload, social interactions and has obsessions such as booking the same apartment room whenever he revisits a country.

Feel free to chat with me or add me on Facebook

Facebook profile: https://m.facebook.com/?hrc=1&refsrc=ht ... r.71404976

Tom Parker
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

15 May 2017, 8:50 am

SwingateLane wrote:
Nick Drake

Really? He's one of my favourite musicians!

Feel free to chat with me or add me on Facebook

Facebook profile: https://m.facebook.com/?hrc=1&refsrc=ht ... r.71404976

wbport
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 May 2017, 6:21 am

theMascaraSnake wrote:
I vote for Leonard Cohen
just a sample -
'I'm drawn to the monastic and the military...'

Leonard, why did you never get married?
'too scared....'

If you search for "cohen hallelujah meaning", you get the feeling he was in an unhealthy relationship. Had references to David and Samson in the lyrics.

fselzr
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

25 Jun 2017, 1:06 pm

Savant aka Aleksander Vinter.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2017, 1:28 pm

fselzr wrote:
Savant aka Aleksander Vinter.

A popular EDM musician he has been identified as bieng disgnosed with Aspergers in his teens in a number of articles.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Jack94
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Sep 2017, 9:34 pm

SwingateLane wrote:
Nick Drake

Really? I've never heard that but I guess i wouldnt be surprised either

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2017, 6:54 pm

Grammy-winning Louisiana musician: 'It’s OK to be different'

Quote:
Fans know Jo-El Sonnier as a Grammy winner, a Cajun music legend with 30 albums, Top 10 country hits and performances at the Grand Ole Opry. People closer to Sonnier have seen another side, when the musician seems like a 71-year-old child.

Some dismissed the odd behavior as a quirky personality. Others gossiped that Sonnier, as a touring musician, had too much alcohol and drugs, although he never did either.

For the first time, Sonnier unveils the reason for his behavior in a new children’s book, “The Little Boy Under the Wagon.” The book reveals Sonnier has Asperger's syndrome,

Sonnier said the book has an important message for children and parents.

“There’s a way of being different and still being normal,” said Sonnier. “My mother always thought I was special.

“My whole trouble was from my beginning, being taught English in a world that I was born into in French. Everybody around us spoke in French.

“Now we have something to take to new generations that might not understand. They need to know it’s OK to be different.”

Bobbye Sonnier, Jo-El’s wife and the author’s sister, said the musician has turned the disorder into a positive.

“Once he figured it out and had a diagnosis, he saw ‘This is why the way I thought the way I did,'” said Bobby Sonnier. “'This is why I didn’t fit in. This is why I focused on music 100 percent. This is why I don’t like crowds outside of music.

“He’s sees he’s different, but it’s OK to be different.”

SLUSHII GIVES US A DEEPER LOOK AT ‘OUT OF LIGHT’, OVERCOMING ASPERGER’S, & MORE!
Quote:
From escaping suburbia to playing the main stage of EDC Orlando, this year may be Slushii‘s most groundbreaking one yet. Only a year after signing with Red Light Management, he has released several singles, collaborations, and even his first album, Out Of Light.

The album is stocked with thirteen tracks that Slushii not only produced the music but added his own vocals to the songs as well. In the interview below, he reveals the story behind track “Out Of Light” showing a more personal side of his production process.

Outside of music, he looks forward to his next adventure with the publishing of his first manga series which is also named Out Of Light

You’ve said in previous interviews that having Asperger’s affected the way you socialized with others and other kids weren’t very kind about it. However, you also talked about a positive aspect as having Asperger’s gave you a different view of the world and perspective of connecting with others through music. How has having Asperger’s contributed to how you interacted with others and share your story through music?
I feel like I learned very early on that people can be mean. I don’t know… It’s like the golden rule: treat people with how you want to be treated and it’s really as simple as that.

Really the whole Asperger’s thing, my social skills were horrible, awful, like high school was a nightmare. I never took the time to reach out to anybody but at the same time it’s like that time that I spent cooped up in my own hole. I learned everything I could about music so I could come out and let everyone know how I felt. I was not good with words at that time but I’ll play you a song and you’ll understand how I feel by the end of that song. So that’s always been my mentality with that.

You may not know what I mean because I speak like riddles, but I’ll play you a song and by then you’ll know how I’m feeling. It’s fun writing dubstep.

What advice would you give to other aspiring musicians with Asperger’s or those who face difficulties socializing?
In light of everything that has been happening lately, with the shooting and everything, that all could have been prevented with positive outlets. Sometimes I think, what if I didn’t have this album or what if I broke off the deep end if I wasn’t able to say what I want to say because over time if you let something bubble up and bubble up… I am glad I have the outlet to say what I needed to say when I needed to say it. Find a positive outlet. Don’t hurt anyone or yourself. It’s so easy to say that, but it takes a lot to like something that makes communicating easier. It’s not easy to communicate. Find your positive outlet and make the world better because just because you’re hurt doesn’t mean you have to hurt others.

It’s one of those things – the most normal person ever put under extreme pressure will snap. Even with us touring and running on lack of sleep for so long, we’re not even thinking rationally. So it’s like positive outlets, man.

Everyone has a talent. I firmly believe that everyone has something that they are good at and talented in. Positive without being negative.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Dark Fairy
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 Feb 2018, 2:28 am

After seeing a documentary about Michael Huchence of Inxs I wonder if he had it. Loved ones say he was often withdrawn. His exes said that he was very loyal when he was with them but bad at breaking up ( he would ghost to avoid confrontation). This made me think of myself and other stories of those on the spectrum who can show crazy loyalty to love interests or friends. I am also guilty of ghosting exes to avoid the awkward conversation. In the documentary his dad also says that Michael slumped into depression when he lost his sense of smell as he loved to smell and taste. My first thought was stimming as I also sniff things. He also had this broody look

DanaMarie
Butterfly
Butterfly

26 Feb 2018, 10:52 pm

Gord Downie

Synthesia
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 Feb 2019, 4:07 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
mywindowtoyours wrote:
Kim Gordon from Sonic Youth definitely sounds like she might be an aspie. here is a profile The New Yorker did on her

An interview with her in Pitchfork about her memoir in which her shyness is discussed
Unconventional Idol: Kim Gordon's Girl in a Band

Wow, just as I was coming on here to suggest/ask if perhaps the atonal singing characteristic of the No Wave movement :skull: might be connected with autism, I found this post! The New Yorker article which took me 3 hours to read, tends to support that, on the other hand, in the Pitchfork article Gordon seems to be saying her brother is the cause. I'm not sure. I think Lydia Lunch's atonal singing, as heard on Atomic Bongos may be related to PTSD, but I'm not her therapist. Because it said I'm not allowed to post anything with a url, I'm trying with the offensive urls deleted ;)

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2019, 5:40 pm

You will be allowed to post URL’s soon. I believe you have to post 5 times to be allowed to use URL’s.

Amebix
Toucan
Toucan

25 Feb 2019, 12:24 pm

I'm normally very hesitant to speculate that celebrities are on the spectrum if they haven't explicitly said they are or think they might be, but one person I'm really wondering about is Justin Broadrick of the industrial metal band Godflesh, the post-metal/drone band Jesu, and formerly of the grindcore band Napalm Death. Broadrick collaborates a lot nowadays, but in the past he was very asocial, partially because he's always dealt with pretty severe anxiety and hypersensitivity issues.

https://www.factmag.com/2017/12/20/godf ... interview/

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2019, 6:10 pm

Cage, maybe?

Actually, it wouldn't surprise me if Eminem did as well. It might also explain why the Cage vs. Marshall Mathers beef resembled a feud on here. :lol:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Last edited by funeralxempire on 25 Feb 2019, 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2019, 6:12 pm

My man, Artie Garfunkel. :heart:

caThar4G
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2019, 11:00 pm

Adam Young?

From Owl City

He did "Fireflies".