Musicians who have (or may have?) Asperger's Syndrome.

Page 29 of 31 [ 455 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next

SwingateLane
Butterfly
Butterfly

Joined: 21 Mar 2016
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Posts: 10
Location: UK

05 Mar 2017, 4:54 pm

Nick Drake



ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Aug 2013
Age: 62
Gender: Male
Posts: 19,823
Location: Long Island, New York

06 Mar 2017, 12:47 pm

Musicians as most creative people are more likely to be "different" than those in other lines of work. I do think that a higher percentage of creative people are on the spectrum than in other cohorts. Several recent studies have suggested this is true. Still, if 98 percent of the population is not autistic it would seem to reason that a large majority of musicians are not autistic.

If one is going to speculate one should base it on more than he or she seems quirky and socially awkward. Autism has been labeled a "pervasive" condition for a reason. In my earlier post about Glenn Gould, I presented evidence of obsessive repetitive routines and possible stimming both verbal and physical.

I do wish more musicians and creative people would come out as autistic to help delegitimize stigmas and provide examples of success for other autistics.

We become fans of a musician sometimes because their work and their presentation we can relate to in some way. To say we can only relate to the musician because the musician is probably autistic limits ourselves. The widespread identifying of celebrities and historical figures as autistics has given people who think we are needy or autistic wannabees a weapon to use against us. Yes, haters will hate and one can not live ones life solely to please other people. But if one is going to give other people weapons to use against us there should be good reasons.

If you want to speculate about celebrities for purely fun reasons a long as you say that is what you are doing, fine. To do it to note that people with strong autistic traits can be successful is a good thing. But that is as far as it should go.


_________________
Identified and joined WP August 26, 2013
DSM 5: Autism Spectrum Disorder, DSM IV: Aspergers Moderate Severity

"When Establishment figures declare that they’ve changed their mind on free speech and now think there should be less of it, know that they expect the speech that gets throttled to be yours, not theirs.” - Walter Olsen Cato Institute


ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Aug 2013
Age: 62
Gender: Male
Posts: 19,823
Location: Long Island, New York

06 Mar 2017, 3:29 pm

James Durbin of American Idol Fame and the new lead singer of Quiet Riot.
American Idol' favorite overcomes Tourette's, Asperger's

Quote:
I believe it was December of '98 when my dad passed away of an overdose. A few weeks later, around my 10th birthday, I was diagnosed with Tourette syndrome and Asperger's syndrome.
It was a really rough time, especially at that age, being told I have a neurological "disease," when I already felt so different.
At that point I was being bullied for being different, having big ears, and now for having no dad AND for making weird faces and noises I couldn't control. I was a walking target.


'American Idol' Alum James Durbin Picked as New Singer of Quiet Riot - Billboard March 3, 2017


_________________
Identified and joined WP August 26, 2013
DSM 5: Autism Spectrum Disorder, DSM IV: Aspergers Moderate Severity

"When Establishment figures declare that they’ve changed their mind on free speech and now think there should be less of it, know that they expect the speech that gets throttled to be yours, not theirs.” - Walter Olsen Cato Institute


Britte
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 23 Nov 2014
Gender: Female
Posts: 8,136
Location: @

08 Mar 2017, 2:42 am

Hi AsPartOfMe, I am not sure if your post had been in response to my response to your inquiry on the previous page, but, thought I'd mention that Joni Mitchell has in fact, mentioned 'autistic'/'autistic-like' traits, that she possesses, in some of her interviews. The title of this thread included (Or may have?), therefore, I didn't think it would be inappropriate for me to state my thoughts. I do understand where you are coming from, however, and I think you make valid points.



ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Aug 2013
Age: 62
Gender: Male
Posts: 19,823
Location: Long Island, New York

08 Mar 2017, 3:56 pm

Britte wrote:
Hi AsPartOfMe, I am not sure if your post had been in response to my response to your inquiry on the previous page, but, thought I'd mention that Joni Mitchell has in fact, mentioned 'autistic'/'autistic-like' traits, that she possesses, in some of her interviews. The title of this thread included (Or may have?), therefore, I didn't think it would be inappropriate for me to state my thoughts. I do understand where you are coming from, however, and I think you make valid points.


You have not done it but I see people listing just a name and that is it. But I do feel strongly about what I wrote. If you do not have time do not bother but I would love to see the Joni Mitchell autism quotes.


_________________
Identified and joined WP August 26, 2013
DSM 5: Autism Spectrum Disorder, DSM IV: Aspergers Moderate Severity

"When Establishment figures declare that they’ve changed their mind on free speech and now think there should be less of it, know that they expect the speech that gets throttled to be yours, not theirs.” - Walter Olsen Cato Institute


MorganG729
Butterfly
Butterfly

Joined: 24 Mar 2017
Age: 27
Gender: Male
Posts: 16
Location: CT

25 Mar 2017, 5:08 am

Steven Wilson of Porcupine Tree.

I don't know this factually, as he is a very introverted figure, but the second I read the first post in this thread he came to mind as a favorite musician of mine who would "fit the description".

Edit: I noticed he was already mentioned. Still, an underappreciated musician, in my opinion.



goodbenefit
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

Joined: 15 May 2017
Age: 40
Gender: Male
Posts: 1

15 May 2017, 8:33 am

Also:
Craig Nicholls - The Vines
Marco Ricci - Casa del Mirto
maybe Bradford Cox - Atlas Sound and Deerhunter



Tom Parker
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

User avatar

Joined: 14 May 2017
Age: 20
Gender: Male
Posts: 22
Location: Australia, NSW

15 May 2017, 8:48 am

Yupa wrote:
It's common knowledge that pianist Glenn Gould and the lead singer of the Vines both had Asperger's Syndrome, but can any of us think of any others?
This topic occured to me after I read the wikipedia article on Tom Shear of the one man band Assemblage 23, who, although not diagnosed, seemed very much like he had Asperger's Syndrome.


Keith Jarrett, the brilliant jazz pianist famous for his solo piano free-improvisation may have Aspergers. He struggles with sensory overload, social interactions and has obsessions such as booking the same apartment room whenever he revisits a country.


_________________
Socrates, "I know you won't believe me but the highest form of Human Excellence is to question oneself and others"

Feel free to chat with me or add me on Facebook

Facebook profile: https://m.facebook.com/?hrc=1&refsrc=ht ... r.71404976


Tom Parker
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

User avatar

Joined: 14 May 2017
Age: 20
Gender: Male
Posts: 22
Location: Australia, NSW

15 May 2017, 8:50 am

SwingateLane wrote:
Nick Drake


Really? He's one of my favourite musicians!


_________________
Socrates, "I know you won't believe me but the highest form of Human Excellence is to question oneself and others"

Feel free to chat with me or add me on Facebook

Facebook profile: https://m.facebook.com/?hrc=1&refsrc=ht ... r.71404976


wbport
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

User avatar

Joined: 16 Sep 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 210

21 May 2017, 6:21 am

theMascaraSnake wrote:
I vote for Leonard Cohen
just a sample -
'I'm drawn to the monastic and the military...'

Leonard, why did you never get married?
'too scared....'

If you search for "cohen hallelujah meaning", you get the feeling he was in an unhealthy relationship. Had references to David and Samson in the lyrics.



fselzr
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

Joined: 25 Jun 2017
Gender: Male
Posts: 60

25 Jun 2017, 1:06 pm

Savant aka Aleksander Vinter.



ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Aug 2013
Age: 62
Gender: Male
Posts: 19,823
Location: Long Island, New York

25 Jun 2017, 1:28 pm

fselzr wrote:
Savant aka Aleksander Vinter.


A popular EDM musician he has been identified as bieng disgnosed with Aspergers in his teens in a number of articles.


_________________
Identified and joined WP August 26, 2013
DSM 5: Autism Spectrum Disorder, DSM IV: Aspergers Moderate Severity

"When Establishment figures declare that they’ve changed their mind on free speech and now think there should be less of it, know that they expect the speech that gets throttled to be yours, not theirs.” - Walter Olsen Cato Institute


Jack94
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

User avatar

Joined: 6 Mar 2012
Age: 25
Gender: Male
Posts: 29

06 Sep 2017, 9:34 pm

SwingateLane wrote:
Nick Drake


Really? I've never heard that but I guess i wouldnt be surprised either



ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Aug 2013
Age: 62
Gender: Male
Posts: 19,823
Location: Long Island, New York

09 Dec 2017, 6:54 pm

Grammy-winning Louisiana musician: 'It’s OK to be different'

Quote:
Fans know Jo-El Sonnier as a Grammy winner, a Cajun music legend with 30 albums, Top 10 country hits and performances at the Grand Ole Opry. People closer to Sonnier have seen another side, when the musician seems like a 71-year-old child.

Some dismissed the odd behavior as a quirky personality. Others gossiped that Sonnier, as a touring musician, had too much alcohol and drugs, although he never did either.

For the first time, Sonnier unveils the reason for his behavior in a new children’s book, “The Little Boy Under the Wagon.” The book reveals Sonnier has Asperger's syndrome,

Sonnier said the book has an important message for children and parents.

“There’s a way of being different and still being normal,” said Sonnier. “My mother always thought I was special.

“My whole trouble was from my beginning, being taught English in a world that I was born into in French. Everybody around us spoke in French.

“Now we have something to take to new generations that might not understand. They need to know it’s OK to be different.”

Bobbye Sonnier, Jo-El’s wife and the author’s sister, said the musician has turned the disorder into a positive.

“Once he figured it out and had a diagnosis, he saw ‘This is why the way I thought the way I did,'” said Bobby Sonnier. “'This is why I didn’t fit in. This is why I focused on music 100 percent. This is why I don’t like crowds outside of music.

“He’s sees he’s different, but it’s OK to be different.”



SLUSHII GIVES US A DEEPER LOOK AT ‘OUT OF LIGHT’, OVERCOMING ASPERGER’S, & MORE!
Quote:
From escaping suburbia to playing the main stage of EDC Orlando, this year may be Slushii‘s most groundbreaking one yet. Only a year after signing with Red Light Management, he has released several singles, collaborations, and even his first album, Out Of Light.

The album is stocked with thirteen tracks that Slushii not only produced the music but added his own vocals to the songs as well. In the interview below, he reveals the story behind track “Out Of Light” showing a more personal side of his production process.

Outside of music, he looks forward to his next adventure with the publishing of his first manga series which is also named Out Of Light

You’ve said in previous interviews that having Asperger’s affected the way you socialized with others and other kids weren’t very kind about it. However, you also talked about a positive aspect as having Asperger’s gave you a different view of the world and perspective of connecting with others through music. How has having Asperger’s contributed to how you interacted with others and share your story through music?
I feel like I learned very early on that people can be mean. I don’t know… It’s like the golden rule: treat people with how you want to be treated and it’s really as simple as that.

Really the whole Asperger’s thing, my social skills were horrible, awful, like high school was a nightmare. I never took the time to reach out to anybody but at the same time it’s like that time that I spent cooped up in my own hole. I learned everything I could about music so I could come out and let everyone know how I felt. I was not good with words at that time but I’ll play you a song and you’ll understand how I feel by the end of that song. So that’s always been my mentality with that.

You may not know what I mean because I speak like riddles, but I’ll play you a song and by then you’ll know how I’m feeling. It’s fun writing dubstep.

What advice would you give to other aspiring musicians with Asperger’s or those who face difficulties socializing?
In light of everything that has been happening lately, with the shooting and everything, that all could have been prevented with positive outlets. Sometimes I think, what if I didn’t have this album or what if I broke off the deep end if I wasn’t able to say what I want to say because over time if you let something bubble up and bubble up… I am glad I have the outlet to say what I needed to say when I needed to say it. Find a positive outlet. Don’t hurt anyone or yourself. It’s so easy to say that, but it takes a lot to like something that makes communicating easier. It’s not easy to communicate. Find your positive outlet and make the world better because just because you’re hurt doesn’t mean you have to hurt others.

It’s one of those things – the most normal person ever put under extreme pressure will snap. Even with us touring and running on lack of sleep for so long, we’re not even thinking rationally. So it’s like positive outlets, man.

Everyone has a talent. I firmly believe that everyone has something that they are good at and talented in. Positive without being negative.


_________________
Identified and joined WP August 26, 2013
DSM 5: Autism Spectrum Disorder, DSM IV: Aspergers Moderate Severity

"When Establishment figures declare that they’ve changed their mind on free speech and now think there should be less of it, know that they expect the speech that gets throttled to be yours, not theirs.” - Walter Olsen Cato Institute


Dark Fairy
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

Joined: 15 Feb 2018
Gender: Female
Posts: 7
Location: Sydney Australia

20 Feb 2018, 2:28 am

After seeing a documentary about Michael Huchence of Inxs I wonder if he had it. Loved ones say he was often withdrawn. His exes said that he was very loyal when he was with them but bad at breaking up ( he would ghost to avoid confrontation). This made me think of myself and other stories of those on the spectrum who can show crazy loyalty to love interests or friends. I am also guilty of ghosting exes to avoid the awkward conversation. In the documentary his dad also says that Michael slumped into depression when he lost his sense of smell as he loved to smell and taste. My first thought was stimming as I also sniff things. He also had this broody look