Musicians who have (or may have?) Asperger's Syndrome.

Page 30 of 31 [ 455 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next

DanaMarie
Butterfly
Butterfly

Joined: 15 Aug 2017
Age: 42
Gender: Female
Posts: 11
Location: Ontario, Canada

26 Feb 2018, 10:52 pm

Gord Downie



Synthesia
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

Joined: 21 Feb 2019
Age: 46
Gender: Male
Posts: 5

21 Feb 2019, 4:07 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
mywindowtoyours wrote:
Kim Gordon from Sonic Youth definitely sounds like she might be an aspie. here is a profile The New Yorker did on her


An interview with her in Pitchfork about her memoir in which her shyness is discussed
Unconventional Idol: Kim Gordon's Girl in a Band


Wow, just as I was coming on here to suggest/ask if perhaps the atonal singing characteristic of the No Wave movement :skull: might be connected with autism, I found this post! The New Yorker article which took me 3 hours to read, tends to support that, on the other hand, in the Pitchfork article Gordon seems to be saying her brother is the cause. I'm not sure. I think Lydia Lunch's atonal singing, as heard on Atomic Bongos may be related to PTSD, but I'm not her therapist. Because it said I'm not allowed to post anything with a url, I'm trying with the offensive urls deleted ;)



ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Aug 2013
Age: 62
Gender: Male
Posts: 19,768
Location: Long Island, New York

21 Feb 2019, 5:40 pm

You will be allowed to post URL’s soon. I believe you have to post 5 times to be allowed to use URL’s.


_________________
Identified and joined WP August 26, 2013
DSM 5: Autism Spectrum Disorder, DSM IV: Aspergers Moderate Severity

"When Establishment figures declare that they’ve changed their mind on free speech and now think there should be less of it, know that they expect the speech that gets throttled to be yours, not theirs.” - Walter Olsen Cato Institute


Amebix
Toucan
Toucan

Joined: 2 Sep 2016
Age: 30
Gender: Male
Posts: 267
Location: US

25 Feb 2019, 12:24 pm

I'm normally very hesitant to speculate that celebrities are on the spectrum if they haven't explicitly said they are or think they might be, but one person I'm really wondering about is Justin Broadrick of the industrial metal band Godflesh, the post-metal/drone band Jesu, and formerly of the grindcore band Napalm Death. Broadrick collaborates a lot nowadays, but in the past he was very asocial, partially because he's always dealt with pretty severe anxiety and hypersensitivity issues.

https://www.factmag.com/2017/12/20/godf ... interview/



funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Oct 2014
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,840
Location: I'm on the streets like curbs

25 Feb 2019, 6:10 pm

Cage, maybe?

Actually, it wouldn't surprise me if Eminem did as well. It might also explain why the Cage vs. Marshall Mathers beef resembled a feud on here. :lol:


_________________
Who’s better at organic chemistry than a person? They’re made of organic chemistry!


Last edited by funeralxempire on 25 Feb 2019, 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Nov 2017
Gender: Female
Posts: 26,071

25 Feb 2019, 6:12 pm

My man, Artie Garfunkel. :heart:



caThar4G
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 21 Dec 2016
Age: 28
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,141
Location: MN

28 Feb 2019, 11:00 pm

Adam Young?

From Owl City

He did "Fireflies".



Antrax
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 23 Feb 2019
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,362
Location: Midwest

09 Mar 2019, 2:55 pm

This is a long thread, and I don't know everyone who has or has not been discussed. More of an actor than a Musician but Dan Akroyd (AKA Elwood J Blues) is diagnosed with asperger's syndrome.

And now for my guess: Tuomas Holopainen the songwriter and keyboardist for Nightwish

Evidence: Lyrics of outcasts are common is music, but Tuomas repeats the same words and phrases across multiple songs over years.

1998, Devil & the Deep Dark Ocean: "Welcome to the end of your life, Hail the Oceanborn!"

2015, Sudder Before The Beautiful: "Awake Oceanborn, Behold this Force"

1997, Angels Fall First: "Oh Lord Why the Angels Fall First"

2003, End of All Hope: "Angels they fell first, but I'm still here"

This is even more prominent comparing within albums as songs often reference each other titles. For a symphonic metal band it's not unusual to have themed albums, but what sells me is the same words and phrases over long stretches of time. If you want to get drunk real fast drink everytime you hear the word "wish" in an early nightwish album or "awe" in a late nightwish album.

Second is his intense relationship with music. He suffered a period of extreme depression and anxiety (often co-morbid with AS) and has described writing Dark Passion Play as saving his life. His music is complex and intricate, and he has described a great love for movie scores.

Lastly, for being the musical mastermind behind Nightwish he lets Marco and Tarja/Annette/Floor do most of the front work for the band. Perhaps because he does not feel comfortable in social situations or being the focus of attention.

Obviously this is just a guess, but I think it is a decent one.


_________________
"Ignorance may be bliss, but knowledge is power."


ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Aug 2013
Age: 62
Gender: Male
Posts: 19,768
Location: Long Island, New York

09 Mar 2019, 3:31 pm

Antrax wrote:
This is a long thread, and I don't know everyone who has or has not been discussed. More of an actor than a Musician but Dan Akroyd (AKA Elwood J Blues) is diagnosed with asperger's syndrome.

No, he was not.
Dan Aykroyd Was NOT Officially Diagnosed - Wrong Planet thread


_________________
Identified and joined WP August 26, 2013
DSM 5: Autism Spectrum Disorder, DSM IV: Aspergers Moderate Severity

"When Establishment figures declare that they’ve changed their mind on free speech and now think there should be less of it, know that they expect the speech that gets throttled to be yours, not theirs.” - Walter Olsen Cato Institute


Antrax
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 23 Feb 2019
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,362
Location: Midwest

09 Mar 2019, 3:53 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Antrax wrote:
This is a long thread, and I don't know everyone who has or has not been discussed. More of an actor than a Musician but Dan Akroyd (AKA Elwood J Blues) is diagnosed with asperger's syndrome.

No, he was not.
Dan Aykroyd Was NOT Officially Diagnosed - Wrong Planet thread


Good to know. Although my statement is technically correct as I merely stated he is diagnosed not professionally or officially.


_________________
"Ignorance may be bliss, but knowledge is power."


funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Oct 2014
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,840
Location: I'm on the streets like curbs

09 Mar 2019, 7:01 pm

Varg Vikernes


_________________
Who’s better at organic chemistry than a person? They’re made of organic chemistry!


CC2501
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

Joined: 29 Jan 2019
Age: 18
Gender: Male
Posts: 24
Location: Minnesota, United States

10 Mar 2019, 12:45 am

funeralxempire wrote:
Cage, maybe?

Actually, it wouldn't surprise me if Eminem did as well. It might also explain why the Cage vs. Marshall Mathers beef resembled a feud on here. :lol:


Are you an Eminem fan. I am a huge Stan. Have all of his albums on CD. I've did the research as well, thinking maybe he has Asperger's. I know on a few songs he has said he has it, such as Wicked Ways from the Marshall Mathers LP 2. That being said, I know he has also said he has OCD, which does present some Asperger's-like symptoms, and it also is commonly present along OCD. I also have read this interesting article about how he maybe has BPD (Borderline Personality Disorder): https://medium.com/@KevinRedmayne/does- ... 76c396f995


_________________
AQ-34 out of 50 (a score of 32 or above indicates a high probability of an autistic spectrum disorder)


funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Oct 2014
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,840
Location: I'm on the streets like curbs

10 Mar 2019, 1:33 pm

CC2501 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Cage, maybe?

Actually, it wouldn't surprise me if Eminem did as well. It might also explain why the Cage vs. Marshall Mathers beef resembled a feud on here. :lol:


Are you an Eminem fan. I am a huge Stan. Have all of his albums on CD. I've did the research as well, thinking maybe he has Asperger's. I know on a few songs he has said he has it, such as Wicked Ways from the Marshall Mathers LP 2. That being said, I know he has also said he has OCD, which does present some Asperger's-like symptoms, and it also is commonly present along OCD. I also have read this interesting article about how he maybe has BPD (Borderline Personality Disorder): https://medium.com/@KevinRedmayne/does- ... 76c396f995


I'm a fan, but not to that extent. I just have the albums that came out when I was in high school. SSEP, SSLP, MMLP.

I'm also a Cage fan, and can absolutely see why Cage feels Eminem bit his style, especially on the SSEP.


_________________
Who’s better at organic chemistry than a person? They’re made of organic chemistry!


wbport
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

User avatar

Joined: 16 Sep 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 210

27 Apr 2019, 7:57 am

Steven Patrick Morrissey seems to fit the bill. His bio was the indie movie England is Mine.



Amebix
Toucan
Toucan

Joined: 2 Sep 2016
Age: 30
Gender: Male
Posts: 267
Location: US

22 Jul 2019, 10:21 am

wbport wrote:
Steven Patrick Morrissey seems to fit the bill. His bio was the indie movie England is Mine.

Why would you list Morrissey's full name? Doing so actually makes him less easily recognizable. There have been other famous people with the surname Morrissey (like Andy Warhol's filmmaker, Paul Morrissey), but none of them went by just Morrissey.