Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

fefe333
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

06 Jun 2012, 10:19 pm

so my friend recently brought these points to my attention (I don't realize that I do these things)

my friends point if view--when having a conversation with someone, I tend to just walk away with out saying any thing. (my point of view--the conversation is boring and a waist if my time)

friends POV-- I look at the ground a lot (my POV-- looking at people's face is weird, and I get distracted by stuff on the ground)

friends POV-- I always look sad (my POV-- I'm thinking)

also, around lunchtime I'm emotionally drained and I tend to have sensory overloads from the loud cafeteria, causing shutdowns,so I don't talk to people and I kind of zone out.

*note: I don't plan on telling my friends about aspergers*

so, are these things considered rude? And how can I change them?

aspie quiz results: 172/200
I am suspected to have aspergers, but I'm not diagnosed.

dyingofpoetry
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2012, 10:36 pm

1. If you don't tell them about your Asperger's, then they will only consider you rude.

2. If you tell them about your Asperger's, then they will think you are weird and still think you are rude.

Therefore, try to get yourself to a place in which you don't really care what other people think.

johnny77
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2012, 11:09 pm

my friends point if view--when having a conversation with someone, I tend to just walk away with out saying any thing.
Yes its rude try to lissen for a few minutes then make an excuse to leave, such as sorry Im realy hungry and my feet hurt I need to set down. Or I need to use the rest room.

I look at the ground a lot
Its critical to nts to think you're looking at thair faces when you talk to them "aparantly thier ears dont work with out thair eyes" if it eye contact that bugs you look at thier mouth nose or cheak.

I always look sad
Smile at lest when you first talk to people you know, nts tend to feel you dont like them If you dont or your depessed.

around lunchtime I'm emotionally drained and I tend to have sensory overloads from the loud cafeteria, causing shutdowns,so I don't talk to people and I kind of zone out.
Find away to take lunch in a quieter place away from people. Excuses it was such a nice day figued Id get some son or trying to cut cost so I brown bag it and eat at you desk.

If you dont plan on telling them you will find that you have to fake who you are all the time to fit in and you will never quite fit in. Ask some one who none of his friends realy know. :(

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2012, 11:24 pm

fefe333 wrote:
so my friend recently brought these points to my attention (I don't realize that I do these things)

my friends point if view--when having a conversation with someone, I tend to just walk away with out saying any thing. (my point of view--the conversation is boring and a waist if my time)

Yes that is rude. How can you change it? Say you need to get going and leave. Since you said you don't realize it, tell him to tell you if you ever do that, just point it out to you. I did it to my mother once because I thought she was done talking until my husband told me I walked away from her and she was talking to me. But do I do it other times? My husband says I have.

friends POV-- I look at the ground a lot (my POV-- looking at people's face is weird, and I get distracted by stuff on the ground)

I don't find that rude.

I don't find that rude either.

also, around lunchtime I'm emotionally drained and I tend to have sensory overloads from the loud cafeteria, causing shutdowns,so I don't talk to people and I kind of zone out.

I don't find that rude either.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

angryguy91
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Jun 2012, 11:28 pm

Trust me, I get the "You always look sad" thing alot too. It bugs me.

Why do our quirks stand out so blatantly to NT and why do they on our cases about them.

reecare
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

06 Jun 2012, 11:46 pm

Walking away silently is rude. Your reasoning is understandable, but still rude.
I look at the ground a lot too. Not rude. When walking or in conversation.
Looking sad? My neutral face just looks sad/mad. Not rude.
I also do the same thing with the emotional drainage and lunch. I too prefer having solitary lunches at school. If someone offers to sit and talk, I don't turn it down, though. Well... I did once.

twich
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Jun 2012, 11:52 pm

The only thing I would consider "rude" after being taught so many times is the first one, the other ones are only "rude" if a person is easily offended. Although they've done studies on how powerful a smile can be. I for one don't smile all that often and people think I'm sad, but really.. I'm more content than a lot of the people I know.. I just don't smile all the time.

Honestly though, I get not everybody feels like I do on this (I'm proud of who I am- I got a custom made hat that says "Autistic and proud" and let people know about the other things that make me, me) but if your friends wouldn't accept you for who you really are, they're not friends, they're jerks who use you... It's taken me a LONG time to realize that (around 25 years.. I'm 27 now,) but I understand now, and I hope you realize you're worth being around while being yourself.

Longshanks
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2012, 12:47 am

fefe333 wrote:

By simply saying, "Please excuse me," before you walk out, you can eliminate a lot of mis-perceptions.

Longshanks

Supporter of the Brian Terry Foundation @ www.honorbrianterry.com. Special Agent Brian Terry (1970-2010) was murdered as a direct result of Operation Fast & Furious - which Barry O won't discuss - wonder why?

vanhalenkurtz
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2012, 1:20 am

fefe333 wrote:

[...] And how can I change them?

Top one.

Say "goodbye." Or "gotta pee." Something.

EQ: 6.

Descendant
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

07 Jun 2012, 1:33 am

fefe333 wrote:

Make an excuse to leave so as not to hurt their feelings or worst case scenario just pretend that you're interested and think of something else until they're finished talking. Sometimes I'll just play a song in my head or daydream.

I have the same problem. To fix this I'll usually concentrate on something in the backround at head level so as to make them think I'm looking at their face; what's commonly referred to as a "1000 yard stare". If that doesn't work I'll glance from from their chin/nose to their shoulder and back.

I get this a lot as well, and it's always when I'm thinking about about something. Nothing you can really do about that one but I don't consider it rude in the least and neither should anyone else. What are we supposed to do, carve smiles into our faces like The Joker?

Don't eat in the cafeteria unless you have to, I don't know about you but in Jr. High and HS they let us eat outside. The only time you'd catch me in the caf was when it was raining and sometimes not even then. I always needed somewhere at least semi quiet and peaceful to eat alone and out of view or with one other person at most.

Not that I mean to discourage you but it's probably a good idea that you don't. Even people in HS would have no idea what Aspergers was or what it meant, so there's really no plus side to telling them.

Last edited by Descendant on 07 Jun 2012, 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

jackbus01
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2012, 1:44 am

fefe333 wrote:

You should say something like, "I really need to go." Otherwise it is rude.

fefe333 wrote:

Some people (your friend) need to quit being so petty. I actually had my boss tell me what a great employee I was except I make poor eye contact. I told him to stop picking on me. It was tense.

fefe333 wrote:

Not rude--not everyone is full of smiles. For what it is worth, I am often "too serious". Of course I don't care much what others think about me. I am comfortable with myself.

fefe333 wrote:

That actually sounds stressful being in a loud cafeteria. I don't think it is rude not wanting to talk to others.

fefe333 wrote:

CuriousKitten
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Jun 2012, 2:00 am

fefe333 wrote:

How would you feel is your friend told you that something you said was boring and a waste of his time? How valuable is your friend to you? Even if you find the conversation boring, it means enough to your friend for him/her to expend the energy to verbalize.

as for looking sad and looking at the ground, your choices are: fake it, own up to your Aspergers, or risk the friendship.

ways to fake it:
* smile when you greet them -- conveying that you are glad to see them
* Look in their direction -- you don't have to be looking them in the eye to appear to be looking at them.