Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

reecare
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

06 Jun 2012, 11:31 pm

I don't form bonds easily, at all. I like to think of NTs as carbon- freely forming strong social and emotional bonds, while I'm a noble gas, rarely forming them. That being said, I do form them sometimes. Going into that "sometimes" the bonds are usually either temporary or go on to be very strong. "Temporary" as in... the people at my college. I could transfer and I wouldn't miss anyone at all, save for maybe two people. Strong as in the bond with my boyfriend and my best friend of nearly six years.

Do any of you guys readily form emotional bonds? Or do you NEVER form them, or fall in the grey area like me?

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2012, 11:39 pm

reecare wrote:
rarely forming them. That being said, I do form them sometimes. Going into that "sometimes" the bonds are usually either temporary or go on to be very strong. "Temporary" as in... the people at my college. I could transfer and I wouldn't miss anyone at all, save for maybe two people. Strong as in the bond with my boyfriend and my best friend of nearly six years.

That all describes me.

reecare

06 Jun 2012, 11:42 pm

Sometimes I feel bad about it. I don't even really miss my roommate from the past school year...

jetbuilder
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2012, 12:00 am

There are only 3 people (not including family) that I feel really close to, One I've known since junior high (15 years ago), one I met in highschool (11 years ago) and one I met 6 years ago.

There are several other people that are important to me, but these three friends are the only ones that I feel I have a really strong connection with.

My Tumblr: http://jetbuilder.tumblr.com/

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2012, 12:08 am

I used to be the complete opposite when I was a child/teenager, bonding strongly with anyone who was kind to me. I'm a lot more leery of others now that I'm an adult after having been emotionally hurt by people who I trusted in the past. I have a few people who I feel extremely attached to - my mom, my brother, and a few close friends - but as for everyone else, I'm distrustful of them at best and I can't stand them at worst.

Interestingly, the strongest bonds I have ever formed (with the possible exception of my mom) have been with fictional characters. It's a one-sided bond, certainly, but it's also the safest bond. They may not be able to touch me or reciprocate my love, but they can't ever hurt me either.

reecare

07 Jun 2012, 12:13 am

In high school I would form very superficial bonds to people. I had good friends, but not many real connections. I still have a problem with talking to people. I just don't talk to people.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2012, 12:48 am

I didn't trust any of my peers in high school and my mum warned me not to talk about my special interests at school, so that my bullies and teasers wouldn't find out what I liked. She said that if any of my peers found out what I liked at the time, that they'd give me a hard time about it. I didn't form many bonds in high school, but that was out of a decision that I've made.

vanhalenkurtz
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2012, 1:14 am

Looking back, my younger years were characterized by musical relationships. Bands. Very focused connection, worked well for me. Then I was married to a very co-dependent woman. That worked for a while, I liked the security, the regularity. Actually, I suppose those criteria define me to this day. But trusting has gotten harder with age.

EQ: 6.

jackbus01
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2012, 1:31 am

I have two close friends, and my immediate family that I care about. I talk with them about once a week. I feel comfortable with this level of socialization. I have no interest in having a close intimate relationship like a girlfriend. I don't understand how people can interact with the same people every day--isn't that draining?

I am required to interact with my co-workers daily, but it is a job--it certainly isn't a bond. I don't hate them but I just want to get work done. Apparently my needs for intimate relationships are very below average. I might meet the criteria for Schzoid Personailty, although I am probably more aspie than schzoid.

I don't necessarily think it is bad that you don't miss your roommate. Everyone has different needs for intimacy and socialization.

PTSmorrow
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2012, 2:39 am

I don't form emotional bonds with humans and don't miss them, the only way to interact is via a common interest, but i prefer online contacts now, penpals when i was young. However, if a person starts to become personal :!: ,that is, rambling on personal stuff, not topics, like their family, relationships, stories from their past, all this human crap, i withdraw immediately since i consider this a waste of my time. The only beings i really care about on an emotional level are my cats.

felinesaresuperior
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2012, 2:51 am

i formed a strong bond with my older brother as a small child. i admired him and wanted to be exactly like him. but i think he has asperger too, and withdrew from pretty much everyone when i was about nine or ten. he barely talks, even to his wife and kids. and i barely spend time with him, not because i dont want to.
i form a strong bond with my nieces when they were little, (my brother's girls) but now two of the three dont seem to have a lot of time for me, only one.
i cant bond with anyone else, ever. at least not those who walk on two... if i ever make a friend, which is once in a GREAT while, it doesnt last. and even then i cant really bond or really enjoy their company.

Mego
Toucan
Toucan

07 Jun 2012, 3:13 am

A few close friends and my family. I am super close to my family and really they are the only ones I can truly relate to. I dont feel like it is possible to get close to anyone else.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2012, 3:26 am

I don't get close to anyone; but I care about everyone. Paradox? Perhaps. I just can't seem to see any one human being as any more important than any other. They're all important. Knowing one doesn't make him more significant to me than another I don't know. I find people interesting, and I enjoy spending time with them, but when I have to leave them I don't miss them. I don't understand that about myself--I've never understood why I can seem to be completely unattached and at the same time care deeply about others' welfare.

I've never seen any room in NT society for people like me--people who form personal relationships only shallowly, but who feel responsible for the whole world (at least to the extent of what they're capable of doing). It's like you're always supposed to love your friends most of all, and then everybody else less than that. Every other altruistic person I've ever met has been somebody who formed relationships with others quickly and easily, who felt others' pain very personally. I don't even know if my interaction style can be called "altruistic" at all. It's more like I just want to fix the world--pieces of the pattern are out of place, and I want to put them back. My mental image of a better world is not really warmth and caring and all that fuzzy stuff--it's more of a logical world--one where everybody starts with the premise that every individual person is infinitely valuable, and builds on that. It's probably something that Spock from Star Trek would want, except that emotion would be considered a driving force rather than a taboo.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

reecare

07 Jun 2012, 11:57 am

I definitely get the logical thing. I care about a lot of people, but not EVERYONE. There are some people I could simply care less about. Similarly, if I don't like someone, then I completely ignore their presence.

lostgirl1986
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2012, 12:01 pm

For me it's an all or nothing kind of deal. If I bond with a person I usually BOND with the person full blown, almost so I'm clingy with them. I hardly ever bond with people though. This is usually a problem when I'm in a relationship, I'm usually too clingy.

reecare

07 Jun 2012, 12:07 pm

I too am horribly clingy in relationships and close friendships, whereas in acquaintanceships I could just care less.