Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

iceveela
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: 16 Aug 2011
Age: 27
Gender: Female
Posts: 439

07 Jun 2012, 5:24 am

I dive my mind into the abyss of science and reason, researching facts, dispelling things disproven, and putting unproven into the realm of mere possibility. I do not believe people blindly and will not change my views unless there is real concrete evidence to back up what you are saying.

But...

For some odd reason, I believe that magic exists, such as telekinesis, and have anxiety spells due to fear of monsters, demons, and the like. Why do I think this way when there is no evidence to date that monster, demons, or telekinesis actually exist? I have no possible reason to believe in their existence, and the evidence is against it's existence. So why does my mind make me think in it's existence without viable, tangible, concrete proof like it does with everything else?


_________________
Aspie score: 164/200
NT score: 60/200
You are very likely an Aspie!

AQ: 36


NeueZiel
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 28 Apr 2012
Age: 26
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,330
Location: Kapustin Yar

07 Jun 2012, 6:22 am

I'm like you and have had a passing interest in the occult, Crowley's works etc as well. Its fun to believe in all that stuff, there's so much about death, life and the universe that we'll never be able to fully grasp so I don't see the point of dismissing everything. Even the fake stuff is cool, I love listening to EVP recordings and had quite a few books on demons and the spirits. Regrettably, my superstitious sister raided and probably burned some of my more controversial books during a visit several years ago, in an attempt to "protect" me :roll:

There will always be people who go out of their way for mocking you for believing in forces like magic, telekinesis etc but who cares. Its all fascinating stuff, just don't become one of these people that profess to talk to demon's on a daily basis and knows everything about the afterlife and is a 16 year old fully initiated shaman.

I highly recommend the book My life with the Spirits, by Lon Milo DuQuette. Its very interesting ,even though he sort of does all the things I just described above. Its a fast read and has some great stuff in it, including his experiences working with a demon and a lady's tulpa that went out of control and caused her son to commit suicide.



Mindsigh
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 29 May 2012
Age: 53
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,555
Location: Ailleurs

12 Jun 2012, 8:12 am

When I was in 2nd grade I weirded out all my classmates by climbing into the coat closet and trying to go to Narnia. And on long car trips, I can't help but peer into the woods in the hope that a sprite or gnome of some kind is peering back at me. I don't really expect it, but it cheers me up to think "what if?" :)



greenheron
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

User avatar

Joined: 1 Mar 2008
Age: 74
Gender: Male
Posts: 170
Location: San Diego, CA, USA

18 Jun 2012, 8:48 pm

I am trying to read a couple of Crowley's books at this time.



Cloudlet
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

User avatar

Joined: 16 Jun 2012
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Posts: 35
Location: Czech Republic

20 Jun 2012, 3:39 am

NeueZiel wrote:
I'm like you and have had a passing interest in the occult, Crowley's works etc as well. Its fun to believe in all that stuff, there's so much about death, life and the universe that we'll never be able to fully grasp so I don't see the point of dismissing everything. Even the fake stuff is cool, I love listening to EVP recordings and had quite a few books on demons and the spirits. Regrettably, my superstitious sister raided and probably burned some of my more controversial books during a visit several years ago, in an attempt to "protect" me :roll:
Holy crap, wasn't she a Jesuite or an inquisitor in her past life? :D Did your sister also confiscate LaVey's Satanic Bible? The name sounds tough, but inside it's just a humanist manifesto and Enochian babblings.

NeueZiel wrote:
There will always be people who go out of their way for mocking you for believing in forces like magic, telekinesis etc but who cares. Its all fascinating stuff, just don't become one of these people that profess to talk to demon's on a daily basis and knows everything about the afterlife and is a 16 year old fully initiated shaman.
Oops, too late :D
I am into that stuff as well, just not the with Crowley crowd. I have immense amounts of experience from that area, that can be only interpreted as the "many worlds, many bodies" theory. There are many kinds of matter, varying in how much they can physically interact with our matter - or with each other. The next most dense (or least subtle) substance is dark matter, or the so-called etheric material levels of the world. There is some exquisite fringe science that may serve as evidence. I can post some links, if you're interested. It's mostly a physiologic stuff of etheric levels, the astral world is mentioned rather theoretically, if ever.



Jasmine90
Toucan
Toucan

User avatar

Joined: 13 Jun 2012
Age: 29
Gender: Female
Posts: 286

20 Jun 2012, 4:27 am

I was obsessed with paranormal stuff as a kid. Would often go on ghost hunts and visit the cemetery with my dog (aren't dog's supposed to be able to "sense" spirits?) I collected books, and read every paranormal/ alien book I could find at the library.

Once I accepted that God wasn't real, everything else followed suit. Except aliens of course, I'm still obsessed with aliens considering how vast space is. I don't believe they have visited Earth, though. Aliens and science fiction are probably my most life long special interests.



CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Jul 2004
Age: 45
Gender: Male
Posts: 103,418
Location: Hanging out with my fellow Sweet Peas at Stalag 13

20 Jun 2012, 7:54 am

I believe in God, spirits, ghosts, aliens, and other things as well.


_________________
Schultz

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=26&start=645


Cloudlet
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

User avatar

Joined: 16 Jun 2012
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Posts: 35
Location: Czech Republic

20 Jun 2012, 3:25 pm

Jasmine90: Don't you just love it when writers describe alien cultures and perspectives on things? "Let's see, my translator symbiont indicates that these things down there on that planet call themselves hoomen..." :D

CockneyRebel wrote:
I believe in God, spirits, ghosts, aliens, and other things as well.
Very well. I believe it's not important what we believe, but why. People may believe many strange things and have a very compelling although subjectiver reasons for that.



Zinia
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 22 Sep 2011
Age: 36
Gender: Female
Posts: 344

20 Jun 2012, 3:33 pm

iceveela wrote:
I dive my mind into the abyss of science and reason, researching facts, dispelling things disproven, and putting unproven into the realm of mere possibility. I do not believe people blindly and will not change my views unless there is real concrete evidence to back up what you are saying.

But...

For some odd reason, I believe that magic exists, such as telekinesis, and have anxiety spells due to fear of monsters, demons, and the like. Why do I think this way when there is no evidence to date that monster, demons, or telekinesis actually exist? I have no possible reason to believe in their existence, and the evidence is against it's existence. So why does my mind make me think in it's existence without viable, tangible, concrete proof like it does with everything else?


A lot of people have irrational fears. I think that having a fear about something is a bit different then actually believing it. For example, my neighbor, when she was pregnant and had serious anxiety, was obsessed with the possibility that there would be a giant earthquake that would bury her in rubble. It wasn't because she believed there would be an earthquake--but that she had an irrational fear of it.

I prefer to believe in paranormal and magic, although I don't wholeheartedly believe in it. But I do have an irrational fear of aliens, and I used to have irrational fears of prehistoric creatures (like this goat with one eye) that would keep me up at night, even though I knew the possibility of having a one eyed goat in my room at night--staring at me--was close to 0%.