Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

hoegaandit
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

08 Jun 2012, 7:26 pm

My son wanted to see Prometheus the new sci fi blockbuster. Given he is rarely enthusiastic about things I bought him a ticket to see it, and chose the 3d film over the 2d as it as from reviews the 3d is not gimicky here and I thought obviously 3d is better than 2d.

When I told him he had a ticket for the 3d he said he much preferred the 2d. He said Avatar had made his head hurt. He said the 3d was ok for an hour in Avatar but then it got boring. I think the consensus is that the 3d in Avatar made it the huge blockbuster it was. When I saw it I was blown away by the 3d and had no issues at all processing that, but I wonder it my son has problems processing the 3d.

Anyone have a similar issue with their autistic child?

Washi
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2012, 7:31 pm

I can't enjoy 3D movies either. It gives me a headache and I'm not prone to headaches, also I can't process anything that moves quickly in 3D. I think we went to see Coraline in 3D, it ruined it for me. The gameboy 3DS also hurts my eyes and for some reason I'm able to see all three images at once. It might have something to do with having an astigmatism.

Washi
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2012, 7:38 pm

I just googled it, it's probably a vision issue not an autism issue (though autistics I'd wager are more likely to have these sorts of vision issues :). ) Having an astigmatism and or being near sighted in one eye and not the other will cause this. I don't wear glasses and having overall good vision is not an indication of whether or not 3D will be a problem, my partner needs to wear glasses and enjoyed the 3D movie.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2012, 11:08 pm

My son went through a phase of not being able to handle 3D. It is a lot on multiple senses at the same time. He still prefers 2D. I don't think it is uncommon.

angelgarden
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Jun 2012, 7:16 am

I'm NT but with maybe a few mild sensitivities (don't we all?) . . . anyway, for what it's worth, I can't stand watching 3D . . . makes my eyes/head feel all wonky.

My husband (Aspie or nearly so) can't handle 3D---they make him physically ill. Vestibular dysfunction.

I'd say fairly normal not to like something SO sensory overloaded.

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2012, 8:22 am

I don't like 3D movies; so if my friends go, I just take the glasses off from time to time.

hoegaandit
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

09 Jun 2012, 10:45 pm

Thanks for comments - looks like it might be a vision issue as well as an autism issue.

Well he enjoyed the movie but said the 3d distracted from the story which he consequently found hard to follow (but that was a common criticism in reviews of this movie (Prometheus) anyway.

I will just need to remember to get him tickets to the 2d versions of films in future, although I suspect that over time 3d will take over 2d just like colour took over black and white films, and talkies took over from silent movies.

On thinking about it, I don't think either of my kids (one with slight autistic tendencies, one diagnosed ASD) could see the pictures in the "Magic Eye" books. I don't think my primarily NT daughter has any trouble with 3d movies though.

Shellfish
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Jun 2012, 12:04 am

When I took ds to see Toy Story 3 in 3D, he refused to wear the glasses, not sure if it was the glasses or the actual 3d but since then, we stick to 2d.

My husband has a 3D monitor, and if I watch something on it, it gives me a headache..

curlyfry
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2012, 1:39 pm

hoegaandit wrote:
On thinking about it, I don't think either of my kids (one with slight autistic tendencies, one diagnosed ASD) could see the pictures in the "Magic Eye" books. I don't think my primarily NT daughter has any trouble with 3d movies though.

I cannot see magic eye pictures without some work because my eyes cannot cross. I have good vision but in college was getting headaches and then wore prism lenses for awhile until I didn't need them. I also have issues with binoculars.

Wreck-Gar
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2012, 10:27 am

This has nothing to do with autism. A lot of people have issues with 3D movies.

momsparky
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2012, 7:53 pm

angelgarden wrote:
My husband (Aspie or nearly so) can't handle 3D---they make him physically ill. Vestibular dysfunction.

Me, too. Also, note - the word "bored" is often Aspie code for "I don't know how to label this particular discomfort."

Tubbs
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

12 Jun 2012, 11:56 am

I can't stand 3D films. It amazes me that people would pay more to see them, because I just find them distracting and exhausting, and they give me a headache! I'm NT.