Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

lease29
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Jun 2012, 4:32 am

Here is an article I came across and would be interested to hear your views about it regarding being friendless and surviving without friends. An interesting read.
Any feedback most welcome.

http://knowledgering.com/answers/health ... ut-friends

questor
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2012, 5:02 am

Thanks for the link. It was an interesting article. I have pretty much been in that situation all of my adult life. As for not changing just to conform to other's expectations, I mostly agree with that, too. The exceptions are when someone is abusive, either of others or themselves, or has a toxic personality. People who are willfully abusive or toxic, should try to change their behavior.

Siddhi
Raven
Raven

10 Jun 2012, 6:11 am

Interesting article. Essentially reflected the kind of dialogue i have with myself for past year and a half. But to be honest it is very easy to say that "i am fine alone". People come in and out of your life whether we want them to or not and you have to interact with them.

I have been not had friends all my life. On a daily basis i do not crave companionship as much as i see others do, but i do not like the fact that i dont belong any where. I think having friends is having a place to belong. Even if it is one person.

For me the article is more like the fox and the sour grapes story. You cant have it, so you say you really dont need it.

CrazyOldBat
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Jun 2012, 9:55 am

Interesting article, thanks for the link. When I was in grade school and high school, I noticed I had tons of friends when something artistic and/or musical needed to be done. I always wondered what was so awful about me that at all other times, I was a pariah (When Janis Ian's song "At Seventeen" came out, the line, "To those whose names were never called/When choosing sides for basketball" really resonated with me, and still does, almost fifty years later). I survived by having Friends In My Head; I wrote science fiction stories, all set in the same universe. That led to finding science fiction fandom, which at that time was pretty much Aspies Only though there wasn't the diagnosis then, and then I made some really wonderful friends--and found my husband to boot!

namaste
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2012, 10:59 am

there is a lady at my workplace everyone avoids her she is bitterly negative
talking depressive negative things always
i notice even i am very serious talker and sometimes depressive too
its hard to get people around like me
so i guess no one wants to hang around me

Ginevra
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 Jun 2012, 12:28 pm

I think there is definitely some truth to this article. You shouldn't think less of yourself just because you don't have any friends but still try to enjoy your life.

It is hard for me to live up to this aim though because I don't really like doing everything on my own. Either at a concert or at the cinema, in an exhibition or in any public place, you are always surrounded by couples, friends, families etc. I feel uncomfortable being the only single person around. I know I shouldn't mind, but I do.

It is also hurtful to like someone and think you have some things in common but finally to realize that the person doesn't like you back, doesn't see your positive qualities and there is nothing you can really do about it.

MynameisAnna
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Jun 2012, 3:52 pm

If you have yourself, why do you need friends?
All people do is make you feel worse about yourself.
Also,you constantly have to worry about losing them.
You may get judged for not have friends,
But it is not as bad as wasting your time with someone who is going to hurt you.

lease29
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Jun 2012, 4:52 am

MynameisAnna wrote:
If you have yourself, why do you need friends?
All people do is make you feel worse about yourself.
Also,you constantly have to worry about losing them.
You may get judged for not have friends,
But it is not as bad as wasting your time with someone who is going to hurt you.

Great response. I have enough trouble making friends and don't interact properly with people anyway and it is very hard for me to make friends. I like the fact that the article is basically saying that even though it is fine to have friends to not think you are any less of a person because you don't have friends and to go out alone and have fun anyway.
I like your Avatar MynameisAnna :-)

humanhatred
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2012, 8:38 am

The article reflected on my current status. I have not had any friends for the last 3 years and after these 3 years I have now accepted the isolation that is offered. I would now rather be alone then have a friend to talk too. I deal with this by going to the library every lunchtime to do some of my own schoolwork. I can not stay isolated forever through and thankfully I only have around 10 years left on this planet anyhow. Just enough to cram some enjoyment into my life before my body rots. Better then living another 50 or so years of my life in misery.

namaste
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2012, 12:30 pm

humanhatred wrote:
The article reflected on my current status. I have not had any friends for the last 3 years and after these 3 years I have now accepted the isolation that is offered. I would now rather be alone then have a friend to talk too. I deal with this by going to the library every lunchtime to do some of my own schoolwork. I can not stay isolated forever through and thankfully I only have around 10 years left on this planet anyhow. Just enough to cram some enjoyment into my life before my body rots. Better then living another 50 or so years of my life in misery.

why u have only 10 years to live???????????????????????????

poppyfields
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Jun 2012, 1:17 pm

It is one thing to say "life is fine without friends" and another to live out your life and be happy that way. I don't know if I can be happy being alone all the time, I know I'm not now. I try to fill every second with doing stuff, even if it's just surfing the internet because when I'm alone with my thoughts, it inevitably always comes back to my deep loneliness. I wish I had someone to go to movie tonight with me, or make dinner with, or go to the zoo. I can do all those things alone but it just isn't the same.

Siddhi
Raven
Raven

16 Jun 2012, 1:24 pm

Quote:
It is one thing to say "life is fine without friends" and another to live out your life and be happy that way. I don't know if I can be happy being alone all the time, I know I'm not now. I try to fill every second with doing stuff, even if it's just surfing the internet because when I'm alone with my thoughts, it inevitably always comes back to my deep loneliness. I wish I had someone to go to movie tonight with me, or make dinner with, or go to the zoo. I can do all those things alone but it just isn't the same.

Absolutely agree with you. Even as a young child when i really did not have friends, i had my dad and brother who were my playmates. My mother too played with me when i was really young. So in a sense i was never completely alone. Now when i am older obviously none of these 3 are there. Every body has their life and i also changed since then. I too wish to have a companion even though my efforts till date have always lead to failure.

humanhatred
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2012, 8:36 am

namaste wrote:
humanhatred wrote:

I know, it seems surprising that I have that long :roll: I have got 10 years to plan my own death. The reason is because life is a very poor standard at the moment, It will not improve. You know it starts to hit you like a brick when I know I should not be alive in the first place. Thankfully I know the reason why I am friendless in the first place. Thankfully no one will care if I am alive. Why the question marks, you know the reason why I should not be alive.

DominictheStampede
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Jun 2012, 9:21 am

humanhatred wrote:
namaste wrote:
humanhatred wrote:

I know, it seems surprising that I have that long :roll: I have got 10 years to plan my own death. The reason is because life is a very poor standard at the moment, It will not improve. You know it starts to hit you like a brick when I know I should not be alive in the first place. Thankfully I know the reason why I am friendless in the first place. Thankfully no one will care if I am alive. Why the question marks, you know the reason why I should not be alive.

humanhatred, I don't know your situation or what you've been through but I definitely wouldn't kill yourself. Life has so much to offer, you just have to find it. You have every right to be alive. I'm sure there are people who will like you for who you are, you just have to find them. Sorry if I'm making assumptions but I don't think you should take your own life. PM me if you want to talk.

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2012, 10:10 am

Friends are pretty practical to have, they help you out a lot. Like when my friends clean house or whatever, have an old stereo lying around they don't want, I get it. Rides, someone to help you move, work on your cars, all that stuff, good for having friends around. That's not from even the company and emotional support or whatever angle, but just practicality, it's good to have friends. I don't know, I'm lucky in that I manage to make friends relatively easy (keeping them is harder) but my main problem isn't individual friends, it's having a group of people to belong to, that I've still not figured out how to do successfully or in a sustainable way.

I think for me, though, I fit the "outgoing but odd" group of NVLDers/Aspies.