Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Anxiled
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Nov 2006, 9:05 am

Anyone watch this show? I find it interesting that Dexter had a mentor, his father, who recognized his affliction and taught him how to survive in the real world.. I am not at all supporting killing another human being even if that person deserves to die because of the crimes he has committed and the pain and suffering he has inflicted. The character Dexter feels empty and is emotionally distant, some traits which I feel Aspies can identify with. His father taught him how to fake the necessary social interactions in order to blend in. Things like small talk, white lies, etc. Aspies who have "blended" in probably at one point wer able to find that bridge that connected that gap between being a complete outsider and a member of the real world.

diseased
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2006, 3:58 pm

Call me slow, but I'm gathering that we're not talking about Dexters Lab, here.
Never heard of this other Dexter, sorry.

Scheherazade
Raven
Raven

20 Jan 2007, 4:55 pm

Oh gosh, yes, I wondered that about Dexter. I mean, Aspies aren't a murderous group, but I think there's a lot in his personality that we can relate to. I think that's what endears him to his audience is deep down, beneath the serial killer thing, there's a lot that people can relate to - putting on a mask for other people, realizing that no one is ever truly isolated from the world.

I like this show, because unlike other Aspie-esque characters, Dexter actually encourages me to want to fake a personality. A lot of other pseudo-Aspies (for example, CSI's Gil Grissom) don't stretch their social skills, but merely build a niche area of expertise and end up socializing as a result of their wisdom. But I think that Aspies can have an advantage because they have to create rules for socializing, and if they focus on this, they can become social experts (eg, Law & Order: Criminal Intent's Sherlock-esque detective Robert Goren).