Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

snapcap
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Oct 2011
Age: 39
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,328

12 Jun 2012, 2:44 pm

YippySkippy wrote:
Declension has put it concisely and well.

As for "lone wolf" terrorists, I think they are mainly crazy people.


Some people act out because they're disgruntled, not because they are terrorists. Acts of terrorism has too broad of a scope that can include many people.


_________________
*some atheist walks outside and picks up stick*

some atheist to stick: "You're like me!"


YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Feb 2011
Age: 40
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,986

12 Jun 2012, 3:21 pm

Quote:
Some people act out because they're disgruntled, not because they are terrorists. Acts of terrorism has too broad of a scope that can include many people.


The Unibomber, for example, was a crazy lone-wolf terrorist.
Someone who walks into their workplace and starts shooting it up is most likely "disgruntled", and not a terrorist.
The effect can look the same; it is the intent of the perpetrator that distinguishes one from the other.



ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Sep 2008
Age: 84
Gender: Male
Posts: 31,502
Location: New Jersey

12 Jun 2012, 5:07 pm

Joker wrote:
Does anyone have any theories? My theory is this that oppression/government creates terrorists.


Not true. China did not produce terrorists like the Muslim nations. Yet the government of mainland China was oppressive to the extreme.

ruveyn



enrico_dandolo
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 20 Nov 2011
Age: 30
Gender: Female
Posts: 866

12 Jun 2012, 5:12 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
As for who dies in a terrorist attack, at the risk of sounding cold hearted........no one has any idea what percentage of those people where actually 'innocent' most humans are hardly 'innocent' unless we are talking babies and very, very young children that have not been corrupted by anything yet. Not saying its good to kill a bunch of people in the name of terrorism, but I hate the assumption that they were all 'innocent.'

A percentage of them are "innocent" in a similar proportion to the general population. The point is, their guilt or innocence is not important to terrorist tactics. Terrorism ultimately targets a higher power than those whom it kills, generally a government (though revenge can factor in the choice of targets).



Grunri
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

User avatar

Joined: 9 Jan 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 5

13 Jun 2012, 12:25 pm

Declension wrote:
A perceived problem, and a belief that non-terrorist options cannot solve the problem.

I agree completely, and admire your keen formulation.

Since I have nothing else of value to contribute to this discussion, I'll pass on another quote.

"We kill only in the name of a god or his counterfeits: the excesses provoked by the goddess Reason, by the concept nation, class, or race are akin to those of the inquisition or the Reformation." - Cioran


_________________
?Man starts over again everyday, in spite of all he knows, against all he knows.? - Cioran


ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 18 Jun 2008
Gender: Female
Posts: 12,265

13 Jun 2012, 12:33 pm

snapcap wrote:
YippySkippy wrote:
Declension has put it concisely and well.

As for "lone wolf" terrorists, I think they are mainly crazy people.


Some people act out because they're disgruntled, not because they are terrorists. Acts of terrorism has too broad of a scope that can include many people.


In your opinion, if people are disgruntled, what should they do?



snapcap
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Oct 2011
Age: 39
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,328

13 Jun 2012, 12:37 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
snapcap wrote:
YippySkippy wrote:
Declension has put it concisely and well.

As for "lone wolf" terrorists, I think they are mainly crazy people.


Some people act out because they're disgruntled, not because they are terrorists. Acts of terrorism has too broad of a scope that can include many people.


In your opinion, if people are disgruntled, what should they do?


If an act is carried out that sways public opinion because of fears of continued acts, and we act on that fear on a national scale, I'll consider it terrorism.


_________________
*some atheist walks outside and picks up stick*

some atheist to stick: "You're like me!"


ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 18 Jun 2008
Gender: Female
Posts: 12,265

13 Jun 2012, 12:42 pm

snapcap wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
snapcap wrote:
YippySkippy wrote:
Declension has put it concisely and well.

As for "lone wolf" terrorists, I think they are mainly crazy people.


Some people act out because they're disgruntled, not because they are terrorists. Acts of terrorism has too broad of a scope that can include many people.


In your opinion, if people are disgruntled, what should they do?


If an act is carried out that sways public opinion because of fears of continued acts, and we act on that fear on a national scale, I'll consider it terrorism.

So you are saying, when someone blows up a marketplace and government acts on it, that's terrorism?



snapcap
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Oct 2011
Age: 39
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,328

13 Jun 2012, 12:51 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
snapcap wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
snapcap wrote:
YippySkippy wrote:
Declension has put it concisely and well.

As for "lone wolf" terrorists, I think they are mainly crazy people.


Some people act out because they're disgruntled, not because they are terrorists. Acts of terrorism has too broad of a scope that can include many people.


In your opinion, if people are disgruntled, what should they do?


If an act is carried out that sways public opinion because of fears of continued acts, and we act on that fear on a national scale, I'll consider it terrorism.

So you are saying, when someone blows up a marketplace and government acts on it, that's terrorism?


If laws are made, troops and security deployed, etc, yes.


_________________
*some atheist walks outside and picks up stick*

some atheist to stick: "You're like me!"


ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 18 Jun 2008
Gender: Female
Posts: 12,265

13 Jun 2012, 1:04 pm

But what if "dissatisfied persons" declare war on the state? The state has no right to defend itself?



Joker
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 19 Mar 2011
Age: 32
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,593
Location: North Carolina The Tar Heel State :)

13 Jun 2012, 1:14 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Joker wrote:
Does anyone have any theories? My theory is this that oppression/government creates terrorists.


Not true. China did not produce terrorists like the Muslim nations. Yet the government of mainland China was oppressive to the extreme.

ruveyn


The Jewish nations are not so innocent themselfs either.