Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

hyperbolic
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2006, 10:37 am

I do not smoke tobacco because of its health hazards and I do not smoke marijuana because it is illegal and can cause mental illness. However, I live in a dorm unit with someone who smokes cigars and marijuana all the time, against dorm policy. Because the air conditioning ducts between our rooms are interconnected, every day I smell second hand smoke. The smoke does not appear to be visible. Can the second-hand tobacco smoke and the second-hand pot smoke still affect my health? Also, could the pot smoke affect the results on my random drug test?

Scintillate
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2006, 11:16 am

I think the health risks would be quite negligible.. Meaning it would affect you ever so slightly, but in the kinds of amounts you're talking about I doubt its worse than simply walking around suburbia or going to any more crowded place..

However, I think its possible a slight hint of weed could show up in your blood test.

Sync
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Nov 2006, 7:01 pm

I read somewhere that secondhand smoke is worse than actually doing it becuase you're actually breathing and swallowing it instead of blowing it out. Personally, if someone's smoking near me, I hold my breath through their path or I walk through then cough loudly and obnoxiously in hopes that they get the message :P

Absolute_Zero
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2006, 7:12 pm

I read somewhere that worrying about second hand smoke and all the media hypes it up to be is more hazardous than anything.

Sync
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Nov 2006, 7:21 pm

I suppose you're right. I don't really worry about it per se, but if I can avoid it, then sure, I don't see why not.

Also, I read that online, so no clue if it's even mildly accurate.

diseased
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2006, 7:50 pm

Regardless... if some prick's being inconsiderate enough to a) defy dorm rules and b) pipe their intoxicant byproduct into someone elses' living space, they should be whacked in the nads with a hammer.
Doing it outside is one thing... inside, in a no-smoking area is something completely different.

Deutha
Toucan
Toucan

23 Nov 2006, 4:24 pm

just on the pot health issue...some interesting recent findings:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 29_pf.html

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/4286435.stm

http://www.usask.ca/research/communicat ... n_head.pdf

from the 1st article: However, marijuana also contains the chemical THC, which he said may kill aging cells and keep them from becoming cancerous.

so yeah if u smoke enuff pot urself....it will kill off the cells being messed up by the 2nd hand tobacco smoke! ;)

SovietChess
Toucan
Toucan

19 Dec 2006, 12:26 pm

non smokers benefit from us smokers (i smoke).. you receive reduction in your health and life insurance premiums because smokers exist and you are not one of them (a smoker).. smokers pay into social security (or whatever your countries plan is) and on average die earlier, thus leaving "more of the pie" to be distributed among the living, on average being the "non-smokers"..

jimservo
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2006, 10:08 pm

Just dropping in. I'm a non-smoker although I smoked a bit of pot when I was a teenager (I had some issues with it). Anyway I didn't like second-hand smoke of either of the two. I don't know about marijuana, but the research of second hand cigarette smoke and health damage has always seemed somewhat "not there" to justify all these bans that have been going up. An alcohol ban would make more logical sense (the effect on society is more immediate) although I still wouldn't support it. Businesses owners should have some right to make up their own minds.

Well, at least it isn't the courts that are ordering them into effect. If the people vote for representatives to enact unsound policy, that's their business.

psych
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2006, 7:23 am

Ive noticed that i seem to be getting headaches after going out in the evenings, even though ive stopped drinking. It must be all the passive tobacco smoking :(

DerekD_Goldfish
Toucan
Toucan

25 Dec 2006, 2:53 pm

I had a really bad cough for the past 7 years often get sick from coughing up so much doctor says its a smokers cough I dont smoke (well I did try some hash at 15) but for the most part its from living with smoking parents,working in a pub for a few years and having smoking mates.

yesplease
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2006, 6:53 am

Unless you can see clouds billowing from the lips of your peers, I think you'll be fine. I'd worry more about automotive and industrial air pollution.