Page 7 of 8 [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2012, 3:54 pm

TM wrote:
Kurgan wrote:

If you did strength training, excess calories would become muscle mass before they became calories. If you spend more than two hours a day in the gym, you have f*ckarounditis. This happens when you value quantity over quality. I cured my f*ckarounditis with compound exercises.

QFT (Quoted for truth).

On Oly lifts: They are a great workout and a great addition to a strength training regiment provided you know how to execute them as they are as much of not more about technique than brute force.

Because of motor clumsiness, few aspies benefit from isolation exercises where "form is everything". :)

TM
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2012, 4:06 pm

Kurgan wrote:
TM wrote:
Kurgan wrote:

If you did strength training, excess calories would become muscle mass before they became calories. If you spend more than two hours a day in the gym, you have f*ckarounditis. This happens when you value quantity over quality. I cured my f*ckarounditis with compound exercises.

QFT (Quoted for truth).

On Oly lifts: They are a great workout and a great addition to a strength training regiment provided you know how to execute them as they are as much of not more about technique than brute force.

Because of motor clumsiness, few aspies benefit from isolation exercises where "form is everything". :)

Tbh, I'd be pretty fearful with the deadlifts I've been doing lately if motor clumsiness was a problem for me. Not to mention heavy freeweight squats.

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2012, 5:12 pm

TM wrote:
Kurgan wrote:
TM wrote:
Kurgan wrote:

QFT (Quoted for truth).

Tbh, I'd be pretty fearful with the deadlifts I've been doing lately if motor clumsiness was a problem for me. Not to mention heavy freeweight squats.

You can switch them with rack pulls and instead go ass to the grass more often on squats. :) Most injuries from deadlifts happen just above the floor. :)

My point was, however, that many aspies (including me), lack the motor skills needed to do for example lateral raises, even if they're strong. If you go ass to the grass on squats and keep your lower back straight, squats are very safe, though.

TM
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2012, 5:22 pm

Kurgan wrote:

You can switch them with rack pulls and instead go ass to the grass more often on squats. :) Most injuries from deadlifts happen just above the floor. :)

My point was, however, that many aspies (including me), lack the motor skills needed to do for example lateral raises, even if they're strong. If you go ass to the grass on squats and keep your lower back straight, squats are very safe, though.

Yeah, I know I can switch the deads out, but I love deadlifting. What was it Sigmarsson said "life isn't worth living if you can't deadlift". Funnily enough, I've never hurt myself by lifting "wrong", but I did throw my back out when sneezing.

I see your point on the fine motor skills though.

MeshugenahMama
Raven
Raven

19 Jun 2012, 5:40 pm

Kurgan wrote:
MeshugenahMama wrote:
Kurgan wrote:
MeshugenahMama wrote:
Kurgan wrote:
ValentineWiggin wrote:
Kurgan wrote:
SpiritBlooms wrote:
And your point would be? A woman should do her best to look good to you? Maybe she has other priorities, such as feeling good physically and happy with herself - for herself.

My point is that beauty standards have VERY LITTLE to do with novelty and trends, at least when it comes to what men prefer. None of the women I posted were underweight fashion models and all have (or at least had) good health.

I think it's cute you only posted photos from the last few decades and implied beauty standards are based on them something enduring. :lol:

Evolutionarily, fertility and attractiveness has more to do with certain ratios (bust-waist-hips) for example, than BMI.
I was hourglass shaped and had no fertility problems when I was obese.
Now (a hundred pounds later) I'll be lucky if I can ever conceive.

Just because this is true in your case, doesn't make it so for everyone else. Your fertility problems are because you eat too little. In most cases, obesity actually stalls fertility.

The romans had beauty standards a lot like the ones today. Apart from the fact that it favours slightly chubby eomen (most likely because people didn't eat a lot everyday), the Perfumed Garden also describes what we still find beautiful.

The standard of being thin (or what you label as "healthy") has only existed for less than 100 years. It probably started with Twiggy in the 20's. For a good bit of history men were not looking for women who were thin. They were looking for women who had a little weight behind them so they could handle the hard work of keeping a home, wouldn't die in the occasional famine, and had breeder hips so they wouldn't die in childbirth. There probably was not a whole lot of obesity, aside from the very wealthy, because your average woman had a physically demanding life, but they were not thin.

Throughout history a woman being thin, was a sign of poverty, and not viewed as a positive trait.

The ancient romans were pigs, but your right-their standards were not so different than today. They were obsessed with beauty, and that defined everything.

side note: I noticed you included Halle Berry with the idea of including women of color, but the fact of the matter is that the only woman that fit into your narrow category, are the ones that look white (have white features). African american culture accepts its women as large and curvy, with no apologies.

400 years ago, you couldn't walk into a grocery store and buy lots of food for 20 dollars. In any culture where you eat three or more meals every day, the medical ideal range is seen as the most attractive. Wide hips are still considered attractive (what would Shakira or Beyonce be without them?) and if Europe and Northern America went into a massive famine, sooner or later fat women would be considered more attractive. Natural selection has an invisible hand that corrects stuff. More or less agreed

Much of what's considered "normal" today (eg. monogamy, large cities and so on) are Roman standards that have survived to this day. I have nothing to say about roman culture or their supposed "monogamy" that would be appropriate to this thread, so I will refrain from voicing my less than complementary viewpoint here.

Seems to me as if white and black Americans like the same women. One study concluded that both ethnic groups on average rated physically fit mulatto women as most attractive. Curvy and fat is not the same thing, btw. Because of racism being more prevalent in the past (allthough it's still there today), sex symbols of the past were white.
You are talking about studies-I am referring more to everyday life. Sure you can hold up pictures of women and say "who do you find more attractive?"(in the perfect world), but it is well known that african american men are more accepting of overweight women. I am white, but I am the vast minority in the part of the country (US) where I live, and most women that I see are not thin, and I don't think they feel pressure to be. You are right-there is a difference between curvy and fat-and in this instance I was referring to fat, but I try not to refer to people with what are considered derogatory terms (even if true), so I chose the word curvy. In the african american community being overweight is not equated with unattractiveness as with many other cultures (including my own).

I've seen a lot of black men complain that there are too many fat black women.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxeArUZqY-s[/youtube]

Black men are not significantly different than white men, allthough they tend to get more sh!t thrown after them because they're the minority.

Using 'curvy' to sugar coat 'fat' ruins the word. Andra Dworkin was fat; Katy Perry is curvy.

I am not trying to sugar coat anything, but I try not to refer to people in a derogatory way. In my opinion that is what ruins the world. That's all fine, but that doesn't change the fact that his definition of curvy is Queen Latifah, while yours is Katy Perry (beautiful-but a bean pole with boobs-your Playboy type).

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2012, 6:05 pm

MeshugenahMama wrote:
Kurgan wrote:
MeshugenahMama wrote:
Kurgan wrote:
MeshugenahMama wrote:
Kurgan wrote:
ValentineWiggin wrote:
Kurgan wrote:
SpiritBlooms wrote:
And your point would be? A woman should do her best to look good to you? Maybe she has other priorities, such as feeling good physically and happy with herself - for herself.

My point is that beauty standards have VERY LITTLE to do with novelty and trends, at least when it comes to what men prefer. None of the women I posted were underweight fashion models and all have (or at least had) good health.

I think it's cute you only posted photos from the last few decades and implied beauty standards are based on them something enduring. :lol:

Evolutionarily, fertility and attractiveness has more to do with certain ratios (bust-waist-hips) for example, than BMI.
I was hourglass shaped and had no fertility problems when I was obese.
Now (a hundred pounds later) I'll be lucky if I can ever conceive.

Just because this is true in your case, doesn't make it so for everyone else. Your fertility problems are because you eat too little. In most cases, obesity actually stalls fertility.

The romans had beauty standards a lot like the ones today. Apart from the fact that it favours slightly chubby eomen (most likely because people didn't eat a lot everyday), the Perfumed Garden also describes what we still find beautiful.

The standard of being thin (or what you label as "healthy") has only existed for less than 100 years. It probably started with Twiggy in the 20's. For a good bit of history men were not looking for women who were thin. They were looking for women who had a little weight behind them so they could handle the hard work of keeping a home, wouldn't die in the occasional famine, and had breeder hips so they wouldn't die in childbirth. There probably was not a whole lot of obesity, aside from the very wealthy, because your average woman had a physically demanding life, but they were not thin.

Throughout history a woman being thin, was a sign of poverty, and not viewed as a positive trait.

The ancient romans were pigs, but your right-their standards were not so different than today. They were obsessed with beauty, and that defined everything.

side note: I noticed you included Halle Berry with the idea of including women of color, but the fact of the matter is that the only woman that fit into your narrow category, are the ones that look white (have white features). African american culture accepts its women as large and curvy, with no apologies.

400 years ago, you couldn't walk into a grocery store and buy lots of food for 20 dollars. In any culture where you eat three or more meals every day, the medical ideal range is seen as the most attractive. Wide hips are still considered attractive (what would Shakira or Beyonce be without them?) and if Europe and Northern America went into a massive famine, sooner or later fat women would be considered more attractive. Natural selection has an invisible hand that corrects stuff. More or less agreed

Much of what's considered "normal" today (eg. monogamy, large cities and so on) are Roman standards that have survived to this day. I have nothing to say about roman culture or their supposed "monogamy" that would be appropriate to this thread, so I will refrain from voicing my less than complementary viewpoint here.

Seems to me as if white and black Americans like the same women. One study concluded that both ethnic groups on average rated physically fit mulatto women as most attractive. Curvy and fat is not the same thing, btw. Because of racism being more prevalent in the past (allthough it's still there today), sex symbols of the past were white.
You are talking about studies-I am referring more to everyday life. Sure you can hold up pictures of women and say "who do you find more attractive?"(in the perfect world), but it is well known that african american men are more accepting of overweight women. I am white, but I am the vast minority in the part of the country (US) where I live, and most women that I see are not thin, and I don't think they feel pressure to be. You are right-there is a difference between curvy and fat-and in this instance I was referring to fat, but I try not to refer to people with what are considered derogatory terms (even if true), so I chose the word curvy. In the african american community being overweight is not equated with unattractiveness as with many other cultures (including my own).

I've seen a lot of black men complain that there are too many fat black women.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxeArUZqY-s[/youtube]

Black men are not significantly different than white men, allthough they tend to get more sh!t thrown after them because they're the minority.

Using 'curvy' to sugar coat 'fat' ruins the word. Andra Dworkin was fat; Katy Perry is curvy.

I am not trying to sugar coat anything, but I try not to refer to people in a derogatory way. In my opinion that is what ruins the world. That's all fine, but that doesn't change the fact that his definition of curvy is Queen Latifah, while yours is Katy Perry (beautiful-but a bean pole with boobs-your Playboy type).

She's within the ideal fat range (allthough clearly closer to 22% than 32% body fat). Curvy means hourglass shape. Any woman with a narrow waist combined with large breats and wide hips is 'curvy'. This was everyone's definition until fat women started to refer to themselves as 'curvy' in online dating profiles.

Shatbat
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2012, 10:45 pm

I once read that men are attracted to one specifif hop-to waist ratio. I believe in that until proved wrong. So... Looking for proof then :D

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2012, 11:54 pm

For me, the clean and jerks were fairly easy to pick up, I can't snatch worth a damn, though. I feel like as long as you don't bite off more than you can chew, they're fairly safe. Just start with the 5-10lb trainer plates and go up from there.

For me, I'm less scared of deadlifting than squats. First off, a deadlift is way easier to ditch, you just drop it. Second off, squats kinda often turn into sloppy goodmorningish squats. I think a way to help that, though, would be doing more front squats to strengthen the abs. Plus, I'm beginning to think full OL depth squats and me won't agree until I get Olympic lifting shoes, as much as I love the strength gains I get from doing them. But yeah, squats have always hurt my back more than any deadlifts have, I've gotten lower back "pump" kinda pain from deadlifts, but squats, once you start throwing weight on, the compressive forces get to be a lot. But yeah, I feel squats, though they're awesome, are a good deal more dangerous than deadlifts.

Then again for deadlifts, unless I'm trying to do clean or snatch pulls, I always lift sumo, and Louie Simmons recommended people to lift sumo in training even if they lift conventional at meets, to minimize back issues. But sumo, I can almost say I've never even felt back discomfort doing deadlifts. Part of the thing for squats, too, I have this weird thing going on where I push off the ball of my feet/toes too much, and it feels "natural" for me to do that, and I know it's not right, but I tend to think too much during the lift and mess things up. One time I was thinking too much about toe position and ditched like 110 pounds just from lack of concentration. It's only once like, I get past BW on the bar that I can actually concentrate and just lift the damned weight and not care. It's weird.

I'm thinking for the OL lifts, there's a lot of technique problems I got, plus lack of shoes. I'm thinking I should maybe just concentrate on the pulls, and then build a decent amount of power, then when I get decent technique coaching, I can use the power I've built from squatting and pulling. Because yeah, real technique gaps I have... Snatch pull 225x5 for reps barehanded (I'm guessing I can probably do about 250 for one barehanded, and I've never used straps ever), then I can barely get 105 over my head. That and my right arm one arm snatch (with a barbell) is 70, which is 70% of my 2 arm snatch, that's not really a good ratio. So I figure if I just do pulling and squatting, when I can afford shoes, and a couple hours with a coach, I'll at least have power on hand.

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2012, 6:06 am

A lot of people think that squats only work your quads (this may even be the primary reason why they don't do it themselves), but that's wrong. :) Squats work pretty much any muscle below your chest and allthough it's mainly for the legs, nobody can squat much (even if the can leg press 3000 lbs) with a weak core.

TM
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2012, 9:29 am

Kurgan wrote:
A lot of people think that squats only work your quads (this may even be the primary reason why they don't do it themselves), but that's wrong. :) Squats work pretty much any muscle below your chest and allthough it's mainly for the legs, nobody can squat much (even if the can leg press 3000 lbs) with a weak core.

I also read an article or two, that mentioned that the sheer amount of growth hormone that a squat and deadlift session cause, can jumpstart your progress. I think it was the Stronglifts 5 x 5 squat program or something that mentioned it.

SpiritBlooms
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2012, 9:54 am

Shatbat wrote:
I once read that men are attracted to one specifif hop-to waist ratio. I believe in that until proved wrong. So... Looking for proof then :D
I'm quite certain each person is different in what they're drawn to - and I find it curious that there's no mention here of what women might be drawn to. But I have known men personally who time and again were attracted toward women who were distinctly round. So I'm quite sure this varies.

But I'm amazed at how this thread moved from a discussion of whether a nutritionist could or should be overweight to what men are attracted to, and to exercise.

Exercise is relatively easy for the young, healthy and psychologically motivated. It's another matter for a lot of people, and not the easy answer it appears. Each person has to find the eating and movement combinations that work for them. There are certainly norms, but as Aspies I think most people on this forum should already be aware that normal doesn't apply to everyone.

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2012, 10:00 am

Kurgan wrote:
TM wrote:
Kurgan wrote:

QFT (Quoted for truth).

I disagree. That's all the more reason to do them. Well maybe not for bodybuilding purposes, but they help me quite a lot, as it builds more motor control that carries over into other things. My motor controls are/were quite clumsy, I'm NVLD, and I still try at them, so yeah.

EDIT:
Oh, you meant isolation exercises. Derp derp. Yeah probably.

MeshugenahMama
Raven
Raven

20 Jun 2012, 10:59 am

:) (I really try to not take life too seriosly-please don't take offense)
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmF3Ze3nKYc[/youtube]