Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

J-P
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Jun 2012, 10:00 am

After 3 years of experience on Piano i decide to specialize myself on an second musical instrument. And i choose.... classical guitar. Sure i will continue to practice piano but somes guitar too. I will begin to try somes techniques. I already use one for get used to play at good time. I play on 4 time stroke on an harmony or without sound and some time the second time i use it as an white note so that give 1-2-3-4 or 1-2(don't play)3-4 on web but i think to take lessons sooner or later because alone i can't have enough experience to be self taught, video or not. Plus sometime i have difficult to have sound with sound i presumre i don't press string correctly. That why i need lessons. I will practice 15-20 minutes daily on each instrument because i really want to advance and now on piano i'm learning the Introduction of "Toccata and Fugue in D Minor" by J.S Bach. The well know part that begin the piece. Much later on classic guitar i would love to learn classical or popular music. When i'm ready for sure that mean very not for now. I still need to pratice technique.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2012, 10:28 am

I'm proud of your achievement with the piano and guitar. When I was starting out I use to practice about 8 hours every day on guitar. I've only practiced about 2-3 hours every day on piano. That's why I'm a better guitarist than pianist.

J-P
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Jun 2012, 10:35 am

redrobin62 wrote:
I'm proud of your achievement with the piano and guitar. When I was starting out I use to practice about 8 hours every day on guitar. I've only practiced about 2-3 hours every day on piano. That's why I'm a better guitarist than pianist.

Thanks but guitar i just begin yesterday

SanityTheorist
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2012, 7:51 am

I can give advice on guitar in general (though I'm not very good at guitar I have a fairly good amount of knowledge) but I imagine the general rules are different for classical guitars...like scales for one.

Currently working on getting in a studio to record my solo album 40+ tracks written.

Chatroom nicks: MetalFluttershy/MetalTwilight/SanityTheorist

J-P
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Jun 2012, 2:00 pm

SanityTheorist wrote:
I can give advice on guitar in general (though I'm not very good at guitar I have a fairly good amount of knowledge) but I imagine the general rules are different for classical guitars...like scales for one.

I need one! How do you twang th string of right hand without touch others as well and for left hand there a way to well press strings for get an good sound?

Thanks

nolan1971
Toucan
Toucan

14 Jun 2012, 5:30 pm

I plan to purchase an inexpensive electric guitar/amp within a few weeks and get back to learning to play after almost 25yrs'
My big problem is I try to learn too many different songs all at once and get frustrated.
The first song I hope to master first is Ziggy Stardust.
Wish me luck! I refuse to give up this time. :D

J-P
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Jun 2012, 8:46 pm

nolan1971 wrote:
I plan to purchase an inexpensive electric guitar/amp within a few weeks and get back to learning to play after almost 25yrs'
My big problem is I try to learn too many different songs all at once and get frustrated.
The first song I hope to master first is Ziggy Stardust.
Wish me luck! I refuse to give up this time. :D

Good luck... for now i try First Noel if too hard i will see for something else. Also i practice somes technicals exercises

guitarman2010
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2012, 8:05 pm

I've been playing guitar for 18 years and one of the best methods I've found to learn is through tabs. Pretty much any song written has a corresponding tab which can be found on countless websites. This method takes a much different approach than the standard musical notes and all that. It just consists of 6 horizontal lines running parallel to each other and each line represents a different string, assuming you're playing on a six string guitar. The numbers that appear are the fret number in which you place any finger you want, whatever works best for you. The bottom line is the low E and the top line is the high e.

EX:
----2------------ ----------------
----3------------ ---------------- would be a "D" chord
----2------------ ----------------
---------------- ----------------

-----------2----- ----------------
------3---------3- ----------------
--2-------------- ----2------------ would be an arpeggio

I don't know if this method will help you but it's just one resource you might want to utilize. This method isn't for everyone and it's basically up the the interpreter to figure out the correct timing. When I first learned how to use this method I picked out songs that I really loved and already had the timings and everything programmed in my head.

physicsnut42
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Jun 2012, 4:50 pm

He's right; tabs are great. I learned most of my stuff from there. I know it's not exactly classical guitar, but you should try learning stairway to heaven or blackbird (not bye bye blackbird). Both will help you learns some notes, get good with your fingers, etc. Also they're really fun. Just find the tabs on ultimate-guitar.com

SanityTheorist
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2012, 4:04 pm

I learn by ear and consult tabs only when I can't figure songs out by ear. I imagine he is interested in chords however, and as a metal guitarist I alternate between death metal, black metal and power chords, which are quite different and in my opinion simpler.

J-P, you don't palm mute with the right hand; your picking hand plays the notes and you mute the strings with the left hand with the fingers straight across all strings. That is especially important to know if you are planning on doing syncopated rhythms or alternate picking.

As far as pressings trigns for a good sound it is all about building callouses and learning the right amount of pressure. I can easily do string bending on power chords now but when I first started it was difficult for me to hold down the strings without pain.

Hope this helps; it took me a long time to get good at guitar and have since found bass more fun generally so my knowledge is probably slightly lacking.

Currently working on getting in a studio to record my solo album 40+ tracks written.

Chatroom nicks: MetalFluttershy/MetalTwilight/SanityTheorist

OverlookHotel
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

03 Aug 2012, 5:41 pm

J-P wrote:

I need one! How do you twang th string of right hand without touch others as well and for left hand there a way to well press strings for get an good sound?

Thanks

I can help you out with any questions you have on classical guitar, I've been playing classical guitar for about 4.5 years now. I also started out with piano, playing that for about 20 years. I like classical guitar much better and average about 3-5 hours practice a day.

As far as getting a good sound, it depends on several things. With the left hand, make sure you are pressing the string down as close to the fret as you can. If you are too far onto the wood (between frets) you'll get a weak tone and probably some buzzing. Secondly what is very important is your nails on the right hand - you should be playing with slightly long nails that are filed at a good angle so they slide off the strings with minimal resistance. It is really important to keep your nails smooth to get a good tone. I recommend getting a nail buffing bar, and rub your nails with it after you file them.

You should be able to control your right hand fingers better with practice, such that they don't inadvertently pluck other strings when you follow through. A teacher should be able to get you going with the proper angle to hold your right hand as well - I would highly recommend getting a teacher to get you on the right track right off the bat, so you don't learn any bad habits that you will have to unlearn later!

Hope that helps.