Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Teredia
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2012, 7:41 pm

Aaah - going crazy.
Okay so i am in the library and for the past 10 minutes someone somewhere in this place has been humming, from a location i cannot pin point. I prolly wouldnt mind as much if they werent repeating the same 3 bars over n over again and allowing it to resonate throughout the 3 floors of the building >.<

I am on the 1st floor (ground floor) and i am sure this person humming is on the same floor as me though they could be on the 2nd floor as the stair well emanates and acts like a megaphone. >.<

Thing is its prolly not annoying anyone else but me who can't block the damn thing out. I mean seriously I dont mind the chatter that usually goes on around me but this is just crazy >.<

Anyways how do you, ask a person to stop humming especially if theyre on the other side of the building, no where near you and still are annoying with their actions?

And how do you explain that to a person... seriously.. "I am sorry could you please stop humming, i can hear you from my location in the library?"

aaah i just feel soo irritated n have no idea what to do...

MarthaCannary
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Jun 2012, 10:59 pm

Teredia wrote:
Aaah - going crazy.
Okay so i am in the library and for the past 10 minutes someone somewhere in this place has been humming, from a location i cannot pin point. I prolly wouldnt mind as much if they werent repeating the same 3 bars over n over again and allowing it to resonate throughout the 3 floors of the building >.<

I am on the 1st floor (ground floor) and i am sure this person humming is on the same floor as me though they could be on the 2nd floor as the stair well emanates and acts like a megaphone. >.<

Thing is its prolly not annoying anyone else but me who can't block the damn thing out. I mean seriously I dont mind the chatter that usually goes on around me but this is just crazy >.<

Anyways how do you, ask a person to stop humming especially if theyre on the other side of the building, no where near you and still are annoying with their actions?

And how do you explain that to a person... seriously.. "I am sorry could you please stop humming, i can hear you from my location in the library?"

aaah i just feel soo irritated n have no idea what to do...

Ignore it and just focus on the lights humming..... See, all better now!

:twisted:

Sorry, that sounds trollish... Uhm, let me try again.

What I do when I hear an annoying noise I can't make stop is I focus on some other annoying noise or I hum really low and quiet to try and block out the noise.

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2012, 1:57 am

the only practical way to block this out is literally blocking it out; poppunt in headphones and listening to music or white noise (whichever you prefer).
indeed, asking the person to stop since it annoys you is not really acceptable if the two of you are more then 3-4 seats apart, and you will be seen a whiner for doing so, even though in a library, everyone is supposed to remain quiet

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2012, 2:21 am

I would just leave. I hope you do have that option.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

vanhalenkurtz
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2012, 3:19 am

Teredia wrote:
"I am sorry could you please stop humming, i can hear you from my location in the library?"

Would be perfectly acceptable.

EQ: 6.

Alfonso12345
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Jun 2012, 1:11 pm

Find the person who is humming. Search the whole building if necessary and then say, "STOP IT!"

League_Girl wrote:
I would just leave. I hope you do have that option.

If the option of leaving is available, then I would suggest following League_Girl's advice.

Bunnynose
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Jun 2012, 2:43 pm

Foam ear plugs -- get some. Keep them in your pocket. Wear them when the need arises.

NTAndrew
Toucan
Toucan

14 Jun 2012, 3:08 pm

What if they are stimming?

Alfonso12345
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Jun 2012, 3:36 pm

NTAndrew wrote:
What if they are stimming?

Maybe Bunnynose's suggestion would be helpful in this situation. Then they could continue stimming and then it could be ignored with ear plugs.

Teredia
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2012, 4:20 am

And this is what happends when i dont log on for a week. Thanks everyone for your input, very much appreciated. I think I will buy some ear plugs for futur occurances... Yesh, i never thought of another person in the library stimming. I mean i know theres other autistics at uni. my 1st friend there was another aspie. (im sure uve all heard teh story from me at some point).

Anyways, yeah sometimes just cant tollerate music either so as much as i hate the feeling of earplugs in i guess that'd be the best alternative =) Thanks =)

Atomsk
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2012, 4:57 am

I often hear humming and things like that when there could be no possible source for the noise - by humming I mean people humming. I hear things like that, or just vocalizations, meaning not words but random notes and such going along with whatever I'm hearing if I'm listening to a song, but doing random things (which are melodic) when I'm not hearing any music. It's not constant or anything - but it's pretty much a daily occurrence.

It worries me a bit because I cannot find a logical source of the sound, other than me 'hearing things' . . . it makes me wonder if this will get worse and one day I will be really crazy - because I used to not hear these sounds with no possible source (as far as I am aware) other than from within my head. I wonder - am I slowly going crazy?

CyborgUprising
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2012, 7:37 am

Earbuds are great for blocking out the annoying human sounds by replacing them with music. I listen to music everytime I'm in the cafeteria or in a crowd of people.

NTAndrew
Toucan
Toucan

20 Jun 2012, 11:03 am

Atomsk wrote:
I often hear humming and things like that when there could be no possible source for the noise - by humming I mean people humming. I hear things like that, or just vocalizations, meaning not words but random notes and such going along with whatever I'm hearing if I'm listening to a song, but doing random things (which are melodic) when I'm not hearing any music. It's not constant or anything - but it's pretty much a daily occurrence.

It worries me a bit because I cannot find a logical source of the sound, other than me 'hearing things' . . . it makes me wonder if this will get worse and one day I will be really crazy - because I used to not hear these sounds with no possible source (as far as I am aware) other than from within my head. I wonder - am I slowly going crazy?

Before you start thinking you are going crazy, you might want to investigate the possibility of Tinnitus. It can manifest itself as ringing in the ears, or it could also sound like human voices or music or any one of a number of annoying noises.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

20 Jun 2012, 11:14 am

Teredia wrote:
And this is what happends when i dont log on for a week. Thanks everyone for your input, very much appreciated. I think I will buy some ear plugs for futur occurances... Yesh, i never thought of another person in the library stimming. I mean i know theres other autistics at uni. my 1st friend there was another aspie. (im sure uve all heard teh story from me at some point).

At one point my computer was next to the other computer in the household, and one of my nieces would sit at the computer and listen to music and hum along with it. The sound made me very frustrated and I would always turn the music way up high on my computer to drown her out.

Oh, misophonia activation scale:

http://www.misophonia-uk.org/the-misoph ... scale.html

Dirtdigger
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2012, 4:27 pm

Low frequency sounds such drums disrupts my whole system. Earplugs didn't do any good because I can feel this low frequency sounds through my body even. There use to be a band across the street playing their music. But, they are now gone because the garage they were playing in flooded getting their instruments wet. So a force must have stepped in and did something about it when the police department wouldn't do anything about it because they didn't know how to use a decibel meter. I even pleaded my case in council meetings. But, I don't have to deal with that anymore thanks to mother nature.

Atomsk
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2012, 5:32 pm

NTAndrew wrote:
Atomsk wrote:

Before you start thinking you are going crazy, you might want to investigate the possibility of Tinnitus. It can manifest itself as ringing in the ears, or it could also sound like human voices or music or any one of a number of annoying noises.

I don't find them annoying - but I didn't know tinnitus could cause you to hear human voices or music or other noises - I'd much rather have tinnitus be the cause than something else, though. Can you have tinnitus without ringing in your ears, though?