Songs from the best/worst times in your life?

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

nolan1971
Toucan
Toucan

14 Jun 2012, 1:49 pm

Best: Angel by Jimi Hendrix Prom where I met my future bride
Lady by Styx at wedding
Any song by Led Zeppelin reminds me of fun times as a kid
Worst: Cars by Gary Numan I love his music but song reminds me of the loneliest times ever!

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2012, 3:11 pm

Best

"Ligger Med Varandra" by DJ Auzern - Reminds me of when my Alice in Wonderland (Tim Burton version) obsession started because I listened to that song on repeat the day I went to see the movie in theaters.

"Forever and Always" by Shania Twain - Reminds me of the day I spent at the water park with my family several years ago, because we heard that song on the radio as we drove there.

Worst

"Summer Sunshine" by The Corrs - Reminds me of how I was before I went on medication, because I used to listen to that song in a vain attempt to cheer myself up. In actuality it probably made me feel even worse, as I can vividly remember breaking down crying as I sang it to myself in the shower at night.

"If You're Not the One" by Daniel Bedingfield - Reminds me of my unrequited love for one of my former friends from my childhood. Doesn't help that I heard this song twice the day of my grandmother's funeral.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2012, 5:40 pm

Anything that's by The Kinks reminds me of the best times of my life. I've had two very good periods in my life so far. The first one lasted from the time I was 19, until I was 23. 1993-1997.

The songs that remind me of the bad periods in my life are:

Too Bad, by Doug and The Slugs: That song reminds me of all the times that I got in trouble as a kid.

Bad, by Michael Jackson: That song reminds me of the worst summer of my life. The Summer of 1987 when my parents were trying to get me to lose my accent.

Hanging Tough, by New Kids on The Block: That song reminds me of Grade 9, when I was 15 back in 1989 and 1990.

Thank U, by Allanis Morrisette: That song reminds me of the year that I got really sick with Depression and Anxiety. Everything about 1998 was bad for me.

God Save The Queen, by The Sex Pistols: 2007 to Early 2009 was a very depressing time for me. A member here that I liked dropped me, because of my incontinence, and the fact that I was giving less detailed responses, due to the fact that I was afraid of his directness and of talking about a special interest that I had at the time. I became very sick with Depression, spiked my hair strange colours and let myself go. I'm now happy to say that I've lost 30 lbs of the 80 lbs that I've gained during that period.

NeueZiel
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2012, 6:37 pm

Note:I still love all these songs, but some are harder to listen to sometimes:

Negative:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-R7qvdFSlrc[/youtube]
I use to play this song A LOT back in 2009, I would make hour long commutes to a tech school I was attending in the city. At the time I was going through a very painful "relationship" with someone I had been close to intimately once but the person started to completely ignore me and treated me like less than s**t. I was extremely lonely and needy and this whole scenario really broke me and to make matters worse the person lived in the city I was attending school. Every night I would practically cry myself to sleep and once had a horrible dream involving said person and woke up screaming and crying, very angsty sounding but it was excruciatingly painful for me.

In October of the same year my grandfather, whom I was very close with, died suddenly of an aortic aneurysm. Every evening and night I drove to and from school I would play this song obsessively or The Disintegration album. Each night, alone in the car, I would drive down the freeway, drifting into contemplation about the entire year, thoughts plaguing me. I also had a horrible wreck in pouring down rain while listening the same album. A SUV got in my blindspot while merging over in pouring down rain and the front bumper of the car I was driving got chewed up and I was swung violently into the middle of traffic. All while The Cure was playing. Luckily the car still worked and I turned around and drove to the side of the road to check on the other driver, who was fine. I had a melt down though and had to sit in the state trooper's car for 20 minutes.

I loved The Cure but now that I try to be much more optimistic the band has more negative connotations for me.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtU_qAM7bIc[/youtube]
Luckily, I still love this song but I would play it a lot back in 2005. I was going through a painful situation with someone and I would go out to walk to cope in the evening or late at night to cope with my depression and loneliness. I would go walking 3-4 miles in circles, this song is more bittersweet for me than bad. I enjoyed getting lost in my thoughts and I recall the smell of the fall evening in '05.

Positive:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWLpq1DP1P8[/youtube]
I listened to this song obsessively during the summer of 2000. I really started listening to the Jimmy Hendrix Experience that year, due to my dad's influence and I even wore his oversized yellow Jimmy Hendrix t.shirt to classes. This song makes me think of sitting in the back of our old car as we pass over the bridge and it makes me think of the best times with my dad. If anything happens to him I probably won't be able to listen to this song ever again.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eePRkP1HMYQ[/youtube]
This is the single most nostalgic childhood album for me ever and this song invokes memories of the best summers in my life. This song use to play so much on the radio, this and champagne super nova and black-hole sun. My sister was very into the Smashing Pumpkins and blared Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness on her stereo at our old house all the time, its a good thing I love TSP because its more ingrained in my head than any other musical sound thanks to the radio and my sister. Its really unbelievable to me that it seems so recent that this was playing on the popular radio stations with music that so many people consider "old" and "nostalgic".

I hope I never go deaf because in my deepest sadness and regret, music is like a door to the past. With such clarity I can relive both good and bad memories. :cry:

Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2012, 11:39 pm

Best:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElbyDZYeAzU[/youtube]

Worst:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTsi3g5s-zs&list=PL39D5A75992370907&index=4&feature=plpp_video[/youtube]

^Ain't that a bit contradictory :lol:

2wheels4ever
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2012, 12:45 am

Best times- Styx 'The Best Of Times'
INXS 'The One Thing'
Kajagoogoo - 'Too Shy'
King 'Love And Pride'
Guns N Roses 'Sweet Child'
Skid Row 'Youth Gone Wild'
Exodus 'Toxic Waltz'
Anthrax 'Antisocial'
Queen 'Keep Yourself Alive' 'Stone Cold Crazy' 'Dead On Time' 'Spread Your Wings'
Testament "Practice What You Preach" album
Devo 'Freedom of Choice' and "Oh No It's Devo"
Black Sabbath 'Master Of Reality'
Tears For Fears 'Songs From The Big Chair
Clutch 'The Elephant Riders' album
Metallica's entire catalog prior to Black Album

Worst of times:
all US singles released from Jan to Apr 1985. That means you Phil Collins

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2012, 7:49 am

There is one song that has both really good and bad connotations, but I usually focus on the good when I hear it.
Europe-Final Countdown. I heard it the first time during the disco after the school play in year 8. That was the good thing, I had a lot of fun and watched some boy 2 years older than me do funny dancing and that stuck in my mind.
Then only months later during a disco with guides on a trip some b***h from another guides kept bullying me (she'd been horrid all week) but she didn't let me join my friends and kept blocking me this time. So I ended up crying at the entrance of the big tent thing while that song was playing, I was annoyed that I couldn't enjoy the song because I really liked it!