Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Manolito_Mystiq
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Jun 2012, 5:18 pm

After more than one and a half year of waiting, then some months testing, I finally have the results of my Asperger's Diagnosis:

I have Asperger's. I thought I'd share my Wechsler Test, because I can't find the value of the scales. I know 17 is better than 10, but I don't know what the maximum is or the minimum.

Verbal Comprehension
Similarities: 10
Vocabulary: 11
Information: 13
Comprehension: 13

Perceptual Reasoning
Block Design: 15
Matrix Reasoning: 15
Visual Puzzles: 13
Picture Completion: 12
Figure Weights: 13

Working Memory
Digit Span: 15
Arithmetic: 12
Letter-Number Sequencing: 17

Processing Speed
Symbol Search: 14
Coding: 13
Picture Concepts: 11

Index Scores
Verbal Comprehension Index: 106
Perceptual Reasoning Index: 125
Working Memory Index: 128 GB
Processing Speed Index: 120

Verbal IQ: 113
Performal IQ: 121
Total: 119

The psychologist said that I'm partially gifted (Processing Speed, Perceptual Reasoning, and especially Working Memory Index), but that I'm average when it comes to my Verbal Comprehension.

In a way, that's okay, right? Interestingly, I understand that Aspies usually have a below average processing speed. I feel like I'm a PC running Windows 7 Professional with UAC at "Always Notify", a firewall at "High Risk", several anti-virus software, lots and lots of RAM, a SSD as a main drive, trying to connect with Mac software and hardware (non-Aspies).

Mano

Last edited by Manolito_Mystiq on 14 Jun 2012, 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2012, 5:25 pm

Not bad. What I see is mostly average-range stuff, some strengths, and no big weaknesses--the things that are on the test were all not particularly difficult for you, and some were very easy. If you have any learning disabilities, they'll be in things the test doesn't measure.

BTW, I'm not sure, but I think either 18 or 20 is a ceiling for the WAIS. So that 17 probably represents a strength, as does the 15 on matrix reasoning.

You're probably lucky not to have that extreme scatter that many Aspies/auties (I'd say at least half) tend to have. You do have some scatter, but it's not like you're in the 5th percentile on one thing and the 95th on another; more like the 55th and the 95th. Not a huge verbal/performance gap, though it's likely you're better with pictures than words.

All in all, it's something you can probably wave in people's faces and say, "Hey, look here; I'm perfectly capable of going to college, so stop trying to talk me out of it." That's what I used my report for (even though I did have a lot of scatter)--it worked. I'm in school now. :)

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

dobrolvr
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Jun 2012, 8:15 pm

Are any of these diagnostic tests timed? If so, I may severely panic... :? I was supposed to get evaluated a while back, but that didn't happen, and they couldn't schedule my evaluation until October now. What other kinds of tests were involved? Did the entire process take forever? Sorry for all of the questions. I just hate not knowing what's going to happen. My parents have always called it my fear of the unknown.lol

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2012, 8:27 pm

The range for subtests is 1-19. In general, anything above 2 SD is considered ceiling, so if you're getting 17-19 you're at the ceiling. What really surprised me about your test was your coding score. Overall people with ASDs score low on coding. Mine was 7 for coding but it wasn't my only 7.

The scatter doesn't happen in all people with ASDs but it's common. My subtests scores ranged from 7 (borderline) to 19 (and I scored 19 easily on these and could have kept going). I think it's a good thing that your scores were relatively even because it's a sign that you are able to adapt to societal norms better. Whereas for me, I'm basically cognitively challenged in some areas and a genius in others, it's the difference that causes me many problems in life because sometime the 7 parts of my brain have to work together with the 19 parts of my brain for a solution and I get completely out of synch.

Manolito_Mystiq
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Jun 2012, 3:26 am

I know that my buffer is quite big. It's if you look at the sun, and away and you still see a ghost image of the sun. If you show me numbers I can keep them in my mind like that for a while. Just like the sun, it will fade, but it can stay there for weeks.

For instance, I once performed this challenge of reciting pi in 400 digits:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yf2CnvR3Coo[/youtube]

Usually people tend to use basic association or other forms of coding to remember such an amount. I rather tend to 'see' them in my mind the way I saw them on paper, in a more abstract way.

@dobrolvr: I suggest you to look at the wiki about the test here. There are other links as well; I will look for them when I have the time.

Mind that a test is still a snapshot in time. If you didn't sleep well or if you're very nervous for the test, it does have effect on the test—the reason I told beforehand about how I felt. And if you'd be informed about what you will get in the test (by checking the wiki), you could prepare for several subjects and increase your score (something I didn't do).

For a more precise result it's better to do the test several times, though that's pretty costly, obviously. Fortunately for me in the Netherlands, this test was free.

Last edited by Manolito_Mystiq on 15 Jun 2012, 4:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2012, 4:00 am

Manolito_Mystiq wrote:
Mind that a test is still a snapshot in time. If you didn't sleep well or if you're very nervous for the test, it does have effect on the test—the reason I told beforehand about how I felt. And if you'd be informed about what you will get in the test (by checking the wiki), you could prepare for several subjects and increase your score (something I didn't do).

For a more precise result it's better to do the test several times, though that's pretty costly, obviously. Fortunately for me in the Netherlands, this test was free.

Normally the test should be taken without knowing it beforehand, because there's a learning effect that the test is not prepared to compensate for. If you do it for more than once in a given time frame there's a calculated effect by which the scores will be increased on average.

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2012, 4:22 am

I grab the occasion and post mine: :)

(not all subtests were administered to me)

Verbal Comprehension
Similarities: 13
Information: 14
Vocabulary: 15

Perceptual Reasoning
Block Design: 17
Matrix Reasoning: 16
Visual Puzzles: 17

Working Memory
Digit Span: 13
Arithmetic: 15

Processing Speed
Symbol Search: 7
Digit Symbol-Coding: 11

Index Scores
Verbal Comprehension Index: 122
Perceptual Reasoning Index: 138
Working Memory Index: 122
Processing Speed Index: 94

Performance IQ: not calculated due to large scatter among the scores (PRI / PSI split is 44!)
Verbal IQ: not calculated
Full Scale IQ: 127

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2012, 4:27 am

OJani wrote:
I grab the occasion and post mine: :)

(not all subtests were administered to me)

Verbal Comprehension
Similarities: 13
Information: 14
Vocabulary: 15

Perceptual Reasoning
Block Design: 17
Matrix Reasoning: 16
Visual Puzzles: 17

Working Memory
Digit Span: 13
Arithmetic: 15

Processing Speed
Symbol Search: 7
Digit Symbol-Coding: 11

Index Scores
Verbal Comprehension Index: 122
Perceptual Reasoning Index: 138
Working Memory Index: 122
Processing Speed Index: 94

Performance IQ: not calculated due to large scatter among the scores (PRI / PSI split is 44!)
Verbal IQ: not calculated
Full Scale IQ: 127

Wow I'm shocked you didn't score higher on symbol search with the PRI score you got. Did something distract you during the SS test?

carltcwc
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Jun 2012, 5:08 am

where can i take this test?

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2012, 5:24 am

Rascal77s wrote:
Wow I'm shocked you didn't score higher on symbol search with the PRI score you got. Did something distract you during the SS test?

As far as I remember I payed just as much attention as at the other subtests, there was no distraction of any kind. I tried to do it right, and that took time, since I couldn't remember the codes, had to keep going back to check them. Btw, I was the slowest touch-typer at the school, and since I did less typos than others, I got better grades than those who typed twice as much than I did...

Manolito_Mystiq
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Jun 2012, 6:12 am

Nice scores OJani. What I meant with doing more tests than one, don't you agree that there are a lot of things that can have an effect on the test, that I mentioned?

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2012, 7:00 am

carltcwc wrote:
where can i take this test?

It is administered by a trained professional and it's copyrighted. It was administered to me as a part of my evaluation.

Anyway, I was a bit worried during the process, told several times anxiously "It wasn't very good".

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2012, 7:10 am

Manolito_Mystiq wrote:
Nice scores OJani. What I meant with doing more tests than one, don't you agree that there are a lot of things that can have an effect on the test, that I mentioned?

Thanks. :)

Yes, there are other factors that can interfere with the results, like those you've mentioned, but taking the test several times in a row is something that should be avoided for better accuracy.

Btw, I don't have such a good eidetic memory for numbers, this is something that can be considered a savant skill (and a gift).

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2012, 11:05 am

For the full-scale result and the index results, 100 is average, and the standard deviation is 15. This means 68% of people get a score between 85 and 115, and 95% between 70 and 130. In your case, your verbal IQ and Verbal Comprehension Index were average, and the rest of your scores were high average (between one and two standard deviations higher).

The subscale score have an average of 10 and a standard deviation of 3. This means that 68% score between 7 and 13 on the subscale, and 95% between 4 and 16. Mst of your scores were in the normal range, but Information, Comprehension, Block Design, Matrix Reasoning, Visual Puzzles, Figure Weights, Digit Span, Symbol Search and Coding were high average, and Letter-Number Sequencing was in the gifted range.

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2012, 1:30 pm

OJani wrote:
Rascal77s wrote:

As far as I remember I payed just as much attention as at the other subtests, there was no distraction of any kind. I tried to do it right, and that took time, since I couldn't remember the codes, had to keep going back to check them. Btw, I was the slowest touch-typer at the school, and since I did less typos than others, I got better grades than those who typed twice as much than I did...

What you're talking about is the coding subtest, where you have to match the symbol to the number. Sybol search is the one where you have a row of symbols and you just have to mark if a target symbol is in that row. So I'm wondering if your coding score is 7 and your symbol search is 11 and you mixed the 2 numbers up in your other post.

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2012, 4:55 pm

OP, the subtest scores are "scaled scores" -- that's the term to use if you want to google conversion tables and such.

I.e. http://alpha.fdu.edu/psychology/test_sc ... ptions.htm

My subtest scores had a variation of 4.3 s.d. which the write-up made a big deal of, and yours is 3.3 s.d. Does anyone know what a "large" or "significant" difference in subtest scores officially is?