IQ scores not a good measure of function in autism

Page 3 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2012, 12:03 pm

Eloa wrote:
I get too focused onto the picture of the box and its changing content, so my directly given answer is describing the picture of the box and its new content.

I fail the theory of minds tests on the first try, and I pass on the second try. It is because I go with my instinct, and my instinct is to focus on the objects instead of the people. "Where will Sally look for the marble?" gets translated into "Where is the marble?" in my mind, so I answer the location of the marble, not where Sally thinks the marble is. In the paper on the Sally-Anne test, the researchers had a third location for the marble, which was the researcher's pocket, and the autistic children answered that Sally would look for the marble in the researcher's pocket, but they are ackshuly answering the question of where is the marble, not where Sally will look for the marble. They were completely focused on the objects and did not take into account any of the behaviors or mentalizations of the people. On the second try, I always pass as an adult, but as a child, I would have failed on eberry try, because I did not understand such things as mentalizations, such as the fact that they eggsisted.

Eloa
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2012, 6:20 pm

btbnnyr wrote:
Eloa wrote:
I get too focused onto the picture of the box and its changing content, so my directly given answer is describing the picture of the box and its new content.

I fail the theory of minds tests on the first try, and I pass on the second try. It is because I go with my instinct, and my instinct is to focus on the objects instead of the people. "Where will Sally look for the marble?" gets translated into "Where is the marble?" in my mind, so I answer the location of the marble, not where Sally thinks the marble is. In the paper on the Sally-Anne test, the researchers had a third location for the marble, which was the researcher's pocket, and the autistic children answered that Sally would look for the marble in the researcher's pocket, but they are ackshuly answering the question of where is the marble, not where Sally will look for the marble. They were completely focused on the objects and did not take into account any of the behaviors or mentalizations of the people. On the second try, I always pass as an adult, but as a child, I would have failed on eberry try, because I did not understand such things as mentalizations, such as the fact that they eggsisted.

I had two tests, one was Sally-Anne and one other one, which was a bit different. I guess I start to understand these tests (though my first impulse reading what you write is the picture of the researcher's pocket, so I would probably just describe this picture, as I had the simple Sally-Anne-version without the pocket of the researcher), but I relate to you and Verdandi, that the first impulse/instinct is the "wrong" one, so if I had to take a test again knowing this I would probably not react immediately, but think it more through, but I guess I will never have to take it again, as I got evaluated again. But I forgot about Sally in the test.

English is not my native language, so I will very likely do mistakes in writing or understanding. My edits are due to corrections of mistakes, which I sometimes recognize just after submitting a text.