Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

LennytheWicked
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2012, 4:18 pm

OK, anytime that I say that anything is wrong my mom slips me an antidepressant.

"My back hurts."
"You're depressed. Take this."
"I'm constipated, I need some fiber."
"I just cut my finger chopping lettuce. I need a bandaid."

And yes, it's pretty much that extreme.

How do I explain to my mom that her antidepressants give me rage flashes and suicidal thoughts and so she shouldn't keep trying to put me on them?

And also it's illegal, because she's giving me her prescription meds.

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2012, 4:46 pm

That's illegal if it was your own meds too, and parents have been convicted of manslaughter and other serious charges for overdoses. You need to report that because it's a potentially life-threatening safety issue. If your mom understood that, she wouldn't be doing that. That's odd that she would try to use a antidepressant to shut you up. Are you even sure she is telling the truth about what she is giving you? Because there are lots of psych meds commonly prescribed that are far more dangerous to abuse.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2012, 5:24 pm

just don't take them.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2012, 7:19 pm

And have a simple, straightforward, brief statement ready, 'Mom, I can't take your medication,' maybe something like that.

Now, if you've taken her antidepressants for a while, you may want to step down from them in phases.

(Your mom may think that if the medication works for her, it will work for you, and that's not necessarily true at all. She may also think that she's Aspie, or different, in the same way you are, and that's not necessarily true either. Not at all.)

Okay, about you having rage flashes and suicidal thoughts from the damn medication, so obviously not for you (still may want to step down half-dose, quarter-dose, etc). If you have rage flashes or suicidal thoughts on other occasions, common enough, please free feel to use us here at WP as one resource. And another resource may be a traditional counselor, or a less traditional source like a regular doctor who's an intern or family practitioner, or even someone like a hair stylist who has some wisdom and life experience. And I'm serious, professionals don't have a corner on the market as far as wisdom. We here at WP try and be with you and in your corner and try and be a resource. :D

LennytheWicked
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2012, 2:56 pm

I tell her I don't want to take them. She sits there with the stupid pill and won't leave until I do. I hide the pill under my tongue and spit it out later, but she keeps getting pissed at me.

She doesn't give me a full dose; she cuts the pill in half. I actually don't think you're supposed to do that either though.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2012, 3:29 pm

LennytheWicked wrote:
I tell her I don't want to take them. She sits there with the stupid pill and won't leave until I do. I hide the pill under my tongue and spit it out later, but she keeps getting pissed at me.

She doesn't give me a full dose; she cuts the pill in half. I actually don't think you're supposed to do that either though.

Have you tried telling her its illegal to share medications, especially with minors?

Julia_the_Great
Toucan
Toucan

18 Jun 2012, 4:52 pm

Any medicine you take should be your decision if you have the intellectual capacity to address this in writing.

It is your body, and it should be treated for your convenience, not your mother's.

Quantum_Immortal
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Jun 2012, 7:26 pm

Dad?

Try telling that to her therapist. He'll know best how to react.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2012, 1:46 pm

I would tell her that if she is so insistant that you take antidepressants then to make you an appointment with a psychiatrist so you can go get assessed to see if 1. you actually need them and 2. which ones would work for you because hers don't work.

Or, just say "No, I'm not taking it" and walk away.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

brickmack
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

20 Jun 2012, 6:04 pm

Tell her no, explain the legal issues and the suicidal thoughts, and if she doesnt listen, tell her therapist that perscribed the meds. If THAT doesnt work, try the police (it is, afterall, illegal in several different ways)

brickmack
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

20 Jun 2012, 6:22 pm

Tell her no, explain the legal issues and the suicidal thoughts, and if she doesnt listen, tell her therapist that perscribed the meds. If THAT doesnt work, try the police (it is, afterall, illegal in several different ways)

bcousins
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2012, 7:58 pm

LennytheWicked wrote:

Doesn't matter if she cuts the pill. People need different doses, so cutting it isn't a problem

Quantum_Immortal
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Jun 2012, 6:57 am

OliveOilMom wrote:
I would tell her that if she is so insistant that you take antidepressants then to make you an appointment with a psychiatrist so you can go get assessed to see if 1. you actually need them and 2. which ones would work for you because hers don't work.

Or, just say "No, I'm not taking it" and walk away.

Inspired by her suggestion.

Say that you should go have an appointment with a psychiatrist. Tell him that she drugs you with her meds. He will know what to do best.

over9000
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Jun 2012, 12:55 pm

My parents never gave me any meds for any behavior, such as depression or ADHD.

Delphiki
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2012, 1:06 pm

Just refuse to take medication. That is what I did.

Quantum_Immortal
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Jun 2012, 2:16 pm

If she takes them, it means she has issues to begin with. It could be that she is medicating you, because of her mental issues.

This is why i advise you to tell her psychiatrist(if she has one).