Are people with aspergers creative or uncreative in general?

Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

donryanocero
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

29 Jul 2012, 1:47 pm

It would be interesting to create a new thread in the stats forum about this: creative-AS, noncreative-AS, creative-NT, noncreative-NT.

I am creative-AS.

My first impression of the WrongPlanet population is that they are more creative than average!

crookedfingers
Raven
Raven

29 Jul 2012, 4:03 pm

I'm not really sure what creative actually means, I'm often told that I'm very creative, and I do have a very vivid imagination, but I consider everything in my mind to be built from applied logic (or deliberate ignorance of), rather than creativity.
For instance, if I imagine a world, I have to think of why and how everything happens. If I think of dragons, I have to think of how they came to evolve, how and if they fly in the physics of the world they are based, their biology and lifecycles, their habits etc, to know what they look like.

Based on my personal experience, I would go as far as to say that creativity is logically applied knowledge, where other people can't work out the logic or thought patterns involved in the creation of something.

playgroundlover
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

29 Jul 2012, 7:51 pm

I am an Aspie and I consider myself quite creative as I have written several children's stories at a remarkable young age(I wrote my first one about 8 years old). I also have written lots of poetry some of it deep and some just funny. Though none of my work was published, I and others have always seen it as creative. I also invented a Christmas board game with custom play money and a cool spinner. I also like to cook. I often experiment in the kitchen by sprucing up ordinary meals such as ham with new seasoning ideas such as applesauce, brown sugar, molasses, ginger, and cinnamon. I know these aren't really new things but they're just new ideas I've had to try which came out delicious. So yes I think many Aspie's are creative.

alecazam3567
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Jul 2012, 8:24 pm

Well, there really is no average. Some things can't really be classified as AS or NT qualities.

I have AS and would consider myself fairly creative. If we're talking art, I can barely draw stick people, or think of what to draw. I can't write original songs. But if you need me to think up a good movie scene, I can do that like a second nature.

indigocrow
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Apr 2013, 9:31 am

Autistic people and nts have the same creativity potential. But autistic people look more creative because they put effort into their interest, while most nts put effort into "normal" things such as finding partners, having social life, getting and keeping a job. It's all about effort and imagination.

Edit: sorry for digging up an old thread I was lookingfor stuff about autism and creativy with google and ended up seeing this link on the top research result...

Last edited by indigocrow on 15 Apr 2013, 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2013, 9:37 am

crookedfingers wrote:
I'm not really sure what creative actually means, I'm often told that I'm very creative, and I do have a very vivid imagination, but I consider everything in my mind to be built from applied logic (or deliberate ignorance of), rather than creativity.
For instance, if I imagine a world, I have to think of why and how everything happens. If I think of dragons, I have to think of how they came to evolve, how and if they fly in the physics of the world they are based, their biology and lifecycles, their habits etc, to know what they look like.

Based on my personal experience, I would go as far as to say that creativity is logically applied knowledge, where other people can't work out the logic or thought patterns involved in the creation of something.

How is that not creative? I say that's even more creative because you think out the backgrounds as well instead of just the surface.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

Blownmind
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2013, 4:04 am

Create ..destruct ..creative ..destructive ..uncreative = destructive?

I would say they are not destructive, but in general it could be said people are destructive and/or creative and therefore also people with aspergers. :wink: