Page 11 of 11 [ 163 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2012, 12:04 am

androbot2084 wrote:

(...)
Because I do not like superficial small talk but prefer more profound in depth conversations does that mean I have a disease?
(...)

Because you don't like small talk but prefer in-depth convos, does that mean you have autism?

I'm both autistic and quite shallow; I often run into "NTs" who constantly engage in intelligent conversation and who possess great knowledge, who are better-versed in fields like science, art, history, politics... while I prefer to be talking about cartoons or comic books.

I, too, have a problem with small talk, and enjoy discussions about substantial topics a great deal more, but I can't contribute much because my own knowledge is limited... My 'autistic knowledge-soak' has only resulted in an outdated knowledge on dinosaurs, a rudimentary understanding of Indonesian culture and language, and random factoids on a few choice anime series and superhero comics. But in the meantime, my social cluelessness among other people, my tendency to get stuck in routines, and the overstimulation leading to meltdowns, are all not so much fun things to have to deal with. And those are all aspects of autism.

If you can get by fine if it wasn't for other people's unwillingness to understand why you're different, that's great for you. Me, I've encountered mostly people who are understanding of my autism and offer(ed) me a lot of elbowroom for it, yet I still encounter problems sometimes. I'm mostly okay when compared to fifteen years ago, and I've improved a great deal, but once upon a time it was pretty obviously a disorder, and that wasn't because of society was made from a perspective of a neurologically typical mind.

Wandering_Stranger
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2012, 4:21 am

androbot2084 wrote:
Because I do not like superficial small talk but prefer more profound in depth conversations does that mean I have a disease?

Autism isn't a disease.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2012, 5:17 am

In a way were pretty much normal just slightly abnormal at the same time.

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList