Big Pharm ready to cure us apparently

Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

JeremyNJ1984
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: 9 Oct 2010
Age: 36
Gender: Male
Posts: 496
Location: Central New Jersey

19 Jun 2012, 10:48 am

Chris71
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

User avatar

Joined: 24 May 2011
Age: 48
Gender: Male
Posts: 208
Location: Netherlands

19 Jun 2012, 11:10 am

That seems very optimistic of those companies.
I would say good luck to them.
Although by the tone of the subject line of this thread I sense you are not too happy about being identified as someone who wants a 'cure' ?



JeremyNJ1984
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: 9 Oct 2010
Age: 36
Gender: Male
Posts: 496
Location: Central New Jersey

19 Jun 2012, 11:17 am

Chris71 wrote:
That seems very optimistic of those companies.
I would say good luck to them.
Although by the tone of the subject line of this thread I sense you are not too happy about being identified as someone who wants a 'cure' ?



I am neigher happy nor angry...I really am impartial. If it helps people fine. Its not for me to judge what is best for every individual. I just hope they don't create an industry of business around these treatments that possibly prevent true cures from being found, due to the need of the companies to maintain a bottom line.



mightyzebra
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Aug 2007
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,725
Location: Planet Earth.

19 Jun 2012, 11:28 am

Instead of spending thousands/millions on a medication for Autism spectrum disorders, I really think more therapy training and teaching should be encouraged and done with good skill. Overall it would probably be less cost-effective and also, it is believed that Asperger's, Autism and similar disorders/special needs/whatever you want to call them derive from a variety of factors in every person, so a medication which would work for one Aspie person will probably not work on another Aspie person, as he or she has Asperger's Syndrome for a different reason.

Ridiculous. I don't think we should leave severly autistic/Aspie people "the way they are", as that allows for no hope or progression for that person to live a fulfilled life. But at the same time, I don't think we need to establish a medical cure for Autism spectrum disorders.

I think I might shut up now, getting quite heated up here. :)


_________________
"The natural world is the greatest source of excitement; the greatest source of visual beauty; the greatest source of intellectual interest. It is the greatest source of so much in life that makes life worth living." David Attenborough


Chris71
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

User avatar

Joined: 24 May 2011
Age: 48
Gender: Male
Posts: 208
Location: Netherlands

19 Jun 2012, 11:41 am

Usually at this point I start the stopwatch (why is it called a stopwatch by the way, since it is something that people start?) and wait how long it takes for someone to post a reply along the lines of, "it would be better to spend millions for a treatment for those annoying idiots with Neurotypical Personality Disorder".



Wayne
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 15 Nov 2009
Age: 45
Gender: Male
Posts: 365

19 Jun 2012, 11:44 am

I read through the story a couple of times, and I'm not seeing anybody announcing they've got anything new, or reached a new stage in the trial or approval process or anything. Just two corporations combining/trading what they've already got, with the hope that future progress will be faster than past progress.

Nothing to get super-excited about here...



AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Feb 2012
Age: 38
Gender: Male
Posts: 13,051
Location: San Jose

19 Jun 2012, 11:45 am

I know I may sound paranoid from what I'm about to say but,I think it is possible they want to rid us of this planet out of fear of replacement since autism and asd is on the rise.Im not going to havem try to cure me I think I'm fine the way I am I do not wish to reformat and possibly ruin my mental hard drive for their satisfaction just because of my personality and intimidating intelligence.I think they think of us as a possible threat.yeah yeah I know I know I should cut down on reading and watching x men. I swear wp is like the xavier institute for us.


_________________
Your Aspie score is 193 of 200
Your neurotypical score is 40 of 200
You are very likely an aspie
No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList


Chris71
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

User avatar

Joined: 24 May 2011
Age: 48
Gender: Male
Posts: 208
Location: Netherlands

19 Jun 2012, 11:54 am

Don't know about ridding us from the planet, but if there is anyone who wants to get rid of the negative aspects of AS, it would be me.
I would trade an arm and leg in return for being NT.



poppyfields
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 23 Jul 2010
Age: 31
Gender: Female
Posts: 377

19 Jun 2012, 12:01 pm

Chris71 wrote:
Don't know about ridding us from the planet, but if there is anyone who wants to get rid of the negative aspects of AS, it would be me.
I would trade an arm and leg in return for being NT.


I'd too love to lose some of the aspie stuff that only makes my life hard. My former friends (who are quirky/nerdy but not AS) have all adapted to adult life quite well and I'm really jealous. They can actually hold down a job easily, and live on their own, have social interaction.

But yeah, this is hardly news. It isn't much of anything really.



Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 23 Feb 2010
Gender: Female
Posts: 17,594
Location: Maidstone, UK

19 Jun 2012, 12:08 pm

I'm in so much desperation to be normal that I want to believe it.


_________________
Female
Aged 30
On antidepressants
Diagnosed with AS, ADHD and anxiety disorder


Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 Oct 2008
Age: 47
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,585
Location: Europe

19 Jun 2012, 12:56 pm

I do not want to be "cured", frankly I find the idea of the autism "cure" as being offensive. It is as morally wrong as a "cure" for women which would turn them into men, a "cure" for gay people which would turn them straight or a "cure" for black people which would turn them white.

I suspect that I am not alone in my feelings about the "cure".

I would like to know why the GABA receptor is important for autism, I thought that the GABA receptor is the place in the insect CNS where lindane acts. I doubt if a a link exists between lindane and autism (I have not looked yet). Would one of the bioscientists here explain to a physical scientist why the GABA receptor is of importance to autism.


_________________
Health is a state of physical, mental and social wellbeing and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity :alien: I am not a jigsaw, I am a free man !


DerStadtschutz
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 5 Sep 2011
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,467

19 Jun 2012, 1:23 pm

JeremyNJ1984 wrote:
Chris71 wrote:
That seems very optimistic of those companies.
I would say good luck to them.
Although by the tone of the subject line of this thread I sense you are not too happy about being identified as someone who wants a 'cure' ?



I am neigher happy nor angry...I really am impartial. If it helps people fine. Its not for me to judge what is best for every individual. I just hope they don't create an industry of business around these treatments that possibly prevent true cures from being found, due to the need of the companies to maintain a bottom line.


I got news for ya, bud... That's exactly what big pharma does.



JeremyNJ1984
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: 9 Oct 2010
Age: 36
Gender: Male
Posts: 496
Location: Central New Jersey

19 Jun 2012, 1:52 pm

Woodpecker wrote:
I do not want to be "cured", frankly I find the idea of the autism "cure" as being offensive. It is as morally wrong as a "cure" for women which would turn them into men, a "cure" for gay people which would turn them straight or a "cure" for black people which would turn them white.

I suspect that I am not alone in my feelings about the "cure".

I would like to know why the GABA receptor is important for autism, I thought that the GABA receptor is the place in the insect CNS where lindane acts. I doubt if a a link exists between lindane and autism (I have not looked yet). Would one of the bioscientists here explain to a physical scientist why the GABA receptor is of importance to autism.



I am not a scientist but i did a simple Google search for GABA and autism and i found hundreds of links and articles. Seems to be a synapse based link.



outofplace
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 10 Jun 2012
Age: 46
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,771
Location: In A State of Quantum Flux

19 Jun 2012, 4:09 pm

Trust me, they won't "cure" anything. There is no money in curing any illness as then the person does not need medication. If anything, they will find a way to "manage" certain traits for the low, low price of $150-300 a month, every month, for the rest of your life.


_________________
Uncertain of diagnosis, either ADHD or Aspergers.
Aspie quiz: 143/200 AS, 81/200 NT; AQ 43; "eyes" 17/39, EQ/SQ 21/51 BAPQ: Autistic/BAP- You scored 92 aloof, 111 rigid and 103 pragmatic


DerStadtschutz
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 5 Sep 2011
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,467

19 Jun 2012, 5:27 pm

Chris71 wrote:
Usually at this point I start the stopwatch (why is it called a stopwatch by the way, since it is something that people start?) and wait how long it takes for someone to post a reply along the lines of, "it would be better to spend millions for a treatment for those annoying idiots with Neurotypical Personality Disorder".


It's called a stop watch because it's the kind of watch you can STOP. A normal watch just keeps going, keeping track of the time, not how much time has passed since a certain point or how long it took you to do something. Sure, you could just stare at the clock, but you can't stop the clock(you CAN, by removing batteries or breaking it, of course).