Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Anachronism
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Mar 2005, 9:45 pm

As I mentioned in another thread, I have been working on buying a house. On Wednesdaqy my offer was accepted, today I got approval on the financing. So, by the end of the month I will be in a home I own!

I have been really drained by the entire process, especially as I have had to fight my arrogant realtor (she has been worthless, I have had to do everything myself, as she keeps screwing stuff up).

Anyways, I found a GREAT house. I love it and am so excited!!

But, at the same time, I am tremendously depressed. This is an enormous milestone in my life, and I don't have anybody to share it with.

I always figured I would be buying my first house with my engaged girlfriend, or something to that effect. Instead I am worried about how I am going to move everything, as I don't even really have anybody to help.

I'm worried about being isolated. Right now I live in a townhome, and all of my neighbors ignore me. I don't even know their names. If I have my own house, I will be even more separated.

I hope it will be different, but I don't know any way to make it different. I don't want to be some weird kook that all the neighbors wish would move.

So, in any case, I am celebrating with everyone on this board. And on the bright side, I have a nice big back yard, which means I can finally get a dog!

-Jeff

There are 10 kinds of people in the world- Those that understand binary, and those who don't.

merien_took
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Mar 2005, 9:58 pm

Congratulations, Anachronism! :D I am terrified of buying a home. Fortunately, this is still several years away for me.

Would you be able to have professional movers help you move some things? I know that doesn't really help with feeling lonely and it can be expensive, but atleast then you don't have to try to move couches, bookshelves, or a bed by yourself.

Since you're hopefully getting a dog, you'll probably end up taking it for walks around the neighborhood. That'll give you a chance to meet your neighbors; just say hi to the people you meet. Kids will probably want to pet the dog, too, and that would give you a chance to meet their parents.

Jetson
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2005, 11:58 pm

Congrats! When I bought my first home I got a 3br with a mostly-finished basement and rented out the spare rooms. It wasn't always convenient, but I always had someone around to talk to. If it's a short distance then most movers charge by the hour. Last time I moved within the city it cost me about Cdn$300 with me doing most of the packing.

ElfMan
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2005, 12:24 am

Yeah!! Congratulations ! !

I agree that a dog would be good idea to meet people. And go for walks around the block and chat with the oldies watering their garden maybe. Old people are friendlier in general too.

Give yourself a huge pat on the back for making it through the process. I would be daunted by it.

ElfMan

JayShaw
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Mar 2005, 11:46 am

Congratulations on obtaining the house that you wanted, Anachronism. I understand your loneliness, and I can sympathize. However, at least you're one up on me in that you're a lonely guy who has the security of owning his own home. I'm a lonely guy who still has to shell out $840 on rent every month. Misery loves company and all that. Heh.

Anachronism
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Mar 2005, 8:07 pm

Thanks all, I appreciate it.

The next step is the inspection, which is scheduled for tommorow!

There are 10 kinds of people in the world- Those that understand binary, and those who don't.

Archmage
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2005, 8:20 pm

May the Force be with you. (sorry, i'm in a Star Wars mood right now :wink: )

we will make it through,
Here we are, like a star,
shining bright on the world,
Today... Make evil go away!

"Code Lyoko" Theme

axelkat
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2005, 8:27 pm

yep, some nice things remind me of what i dont have. Isnt it strange?
A

TAFKASH
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2005, 8:47 pm

Good luck on the move, old chum! I just moved to my marvellous (and inordinately expensive) new des res myself 2 weeks ago, and have never endured so much stress in all my life.... :x Hope you endure rather less in the way of slings and arrows than I did..... :)

NoMore
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2005, 11:10 am

Congratulations, Anachronism! I always felt moving to be very exciting and very stressful at the same time. But I never had to do it alone. :(

Jetson
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2005, 12:44 pm

I'd like to re-iterate the point about renting out a rooms. When I bought my first house I had three extra rooms and rented them out. They sometimes brought their friends over, which meant I was always forced to work on my socialization with complete strangers. I eventually had to kick one of them out because he was stealing from people, but even that was a learning experience. It wasn't always comfortable, but I'm glad I did it.

When my job took me to a new city a few years later I bought a house with extra rooms but ended up deciding NOT to rent them out. That was a huge mistake. I quickly reverted back to my school-age behavior where I would go out for work or shopping but was mostly secluded in my room with my books and computer. I lived in that house for only a year before my company relocated me again, and during that time I only had one visitor.

Now that I finally have a partner, we've bought and sold a few houses and businesses together. His extended family lives with us, which is both a blessing and a curse. There are days when I wish I could have more privacy and less noise, but I don't think I would want to risk living alone again.

Tere
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2005, 8:47 pm

Congratulations Anachronism! Buying your own home is, indeed, a huge step! We bought ours 28 years ago and have never regreted it.

One thing I noticed after moving out of an apartment was the people were different. It seems a neighborhood where everyone is buying their homes are more friendly. I don't know why.

I wouldn't rent out rooms myself. I have to be able to be alone when I want and then there would be conflicts of time and habits. A pet is wonderful company and gives you a reason for nightly walks around the neighborhood. People will approach someone walking a dog when they normally wouldn't otherwise.

I would just hire movers....it's a lot easier. Have a yard sale and sell what you can replace in your new home!

Jetson
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2005, 10:01 pm

Tere wrote:
One thing I noticed after moving out of an apartment was the people were different. It seems a neighborhood where everyone is buying their homes are more friendly. I don't know why.

The big difference is that apartments are temporary accommodation. Even though some people stay in the same apartment for a long time, there tends to be a lot more coming-and-going in the neighborhood. The long-term benefits of socializing are harder to predict since you could become friends with a neighbor just to have them (or you) move away. In places where people own the house (or condo) there is a sense of permanence. Even if your neighbor isn't the friendliest personality, people make an effort to get along because you can't expect problems to just go away when the lease is up.
Tere wrote:
I wouldn't rent out rooms myself. I have to be able to be alone when I want and then there would be conflicts of time and habits.

Renting isn't for everyone. There are risks and inconveniences. Most other people I know who rent out rooms make a point of making some areas of the house "out of bounds" so they can have some personal space. In my house I had the tennants sign a lease that included "quiet hours" and guest restrictions.
Tere wrote:
A pet is wonderful company and gives you a reason for nightly walks around the neighborhood.

Pets ARE wonderful company but no guarantee of socialization.

Anachronism
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Mar 2005, 12:54 am

Well, the good news is that I already live VERY close to my new home. It is about a mile away.

I spent 3 hours at the home today getting an inspection done. The inspector was great. He was very friendly, very knowledgeable, and gave a me a ton of great tips. He was also amazed at what the house is costing me! He couldn't believe it.

He also couldn't believe how well the home is constructed. Instead of wood joists for the floor, the builder used steel beams! On top of that, instead of a plywood subfloor, the subfloor is made of tongue & grooove 2x4's! That, coupled with a hardwood floor, coupled with a brick exterior, makes for an exceptionally sturdy home. This house is built so solidly, who needs a bomb shelter? :)

Jetson
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2005, 1:00 am

Anachronism wrote:
On top of that, instead of a plywood subfloor, the subfloor is made of tongue & grooove 2x4's!

I've never heard of T&G 2x4's. Usually it's T&G 1x6's if it's not plywood.

Tere
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2005, 9:56 am

WOW! T&G 2X4 sub floor! I've never heard of that either.