Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Brianruns10
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2012, 2:04 pm

One of my hobby/obsessions is to make stop motion animated films. This is my latest for a contest being held by Union Pacific.

Honestly I have tons of self doubt, and I never can tell if my work is any damn good. I see all the things I wished I'd done better, and maybe you all can tell me which way. Criticism would be welcome.

Or if you like the video, I'd sure appreciate it if you took a minute to sign into the page, and "like." I can sure use the votes!

My Short Film

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2012, 2:12 pm

Brianruns10
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2012, 2:33 pm

Thanks for the nice comment. I'd give anything to see my own work from an outside perspective. I just have no sense of if it's good or not. Honestly I feel most of the time like a talentless hack.

singularity
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Jun 2012, 3:17 pm

That was pretty cool, Briansrun10! Stop motion animation requires a lot of dedication and patience, does it not? How long did that 1 minute piece actually take to make? I admire your creativity.

Bunnynose
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Jun 2012, 3:28 pm

Hey, that's great.

You got the employee theme, the "Great Big Rollin' Railroad" song, and a positive image/story too.

Hope you place among the winning entries.

Brianruns10
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2012, 3:36 pm

I hope so too. I put in a good four months to make this. I really need the money.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

19 Jun 2012, 7:10 pm

[Moved from General Autism Discussion to Art, Writing, and Music]

HisDivineMajesty
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2012, 7:25 pm

Voted. What's the story behind it? I've never really looked into these railroad things.

NeueZiel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2012, 8:47 pm

That's actually pretty good, I was expecting a more dilettantish movie with toys moving around on a table (the kind of stop motion I made as a kid). The only criticism I'll voice is that when the mother leans down to kiss her son the legs look really weird and unnatural, like she'd break them. I don't know if there's a more natural pose you could do with the clay. I'm just trying to be helpful, I was pretty impressed. The music reminded me of an Art Clokey cartoon (like Gumby basically), very nice touch.

Are you a film student or is this just a hobby? Your film is a lot more professional than I was expecting, its great to see someone still appreciates the art of claymation and stop motion!

singularity wrote:
That was pretty cool, Briansrun10! Stop motion animation requires a lot of dedication and patience, does it not? How long did that 1 minute piece actually take to make? I admire your creativity.

I'm not a film student nor do I make these movies but there's a reason you see stuff dominated by computer graphics now. Its very meticulous and a lost art that not everyone appreciates anymore.

Brianruns10 wrote:
Thanks for the nice comment. I'd give anything to see my own work from an outside perspective. I just have no sense of if it's good or not. Honestly I feel most of the time like a talentless hack.

Did you make all of the movie yourself? What kind of education do you have? I've seen film students make worse stuff, either way, I am impressed by it, especially if you did it all yourself. I totally believe it took you 4 months.

Brianruns10
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2012, 8:57 pm

I'm a working professional, actually. And you're right about the legs thing. I couldn't get the goddamn thing right.

I dunno, I think the film f*****g sucks the more I look at it.

Believe me, it was fantastic in my head, but when I make it with these flawed hands...it comes out mediocre.

Someday though I'll make a really beautiful film people will all love and adore. Or die trying.