Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2012, 5:04 pm

ThanatosSigma wrote:
Themionics will be perfected, this will allow super low power requirements and wearable heat and kinetic powered computers, that allow for instant download of knowledge pertinent to what your doing.
And augmented reality such as blueprint overlays on tasks etc.

Another big one to watch is quantum communications, imagine instant data transmission. Telapresence anyone?

l.

Information cannot be exchanged faster than light speed. Forget Bell's Inequality as a basis for faster than light telegraphy. It won't work.

ruveyn

pete1061
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2012, 4:55 pm

ruveyn wrote:
ThanatosSigma wrote:
Themionics will be perfected, this will allow super low power requirements and wearable heat and kinetic powered computers, that allow for instant download of knowledge pertinent to what your doing.
And augmented reality such as blueprint overlays on tasks etc.

Another big one to watch is quantum communications, imagine instant data transmission. Telapresence anyone?

l.

Information cannot be exchanged faster than light speed. Forget Bell's Inequality as a basis for faster than light telegraphy. It won't work.

ruveyn

There MAY be a potential for instantaneous communications derived out of current research with quantum entanglement.
But who knows, frequently things that sound great turn out to be a dead end.

On other tech fronts...
By mid century or sooner I think we could prefect glasses-free 3D display technology.
carbon nanotube & graphene tech should lead to low cost print-process circuitry, putting displays and simple computers into EVERYTHING (greeting cards, cereal boxes, junk mail)
Quantum computing, optical, and bio-computers will lead to unimaginable jumps in AI systems
Robots, robots and more robots!! !
"smart" materials able to take on any shape, kinda like the T-1000.
Low-level neural connections between humans & machine.
Advanced image sensor technology will give us a full spectrum picture of the world around us.
Imagine a microwave camera, like an infrared camera, able to spot in detail any signal transmission source. It could make it very easy to locate network connections and troubleshoot EM leaks in equipment.
High detail full spectrum imaging could also make those low level brain/machine connections completely wireless and non invasive. But then that could also lead to extremely scary abuses of privacy violation and tyranny on a level never before seen in history. point a camera at someone and literally read their mind 8O

Dwindling resources will necessitate much more efficient energy generation, transportation technology, and electronics based on more common and cheaper materials. A resource crisis will also motivate people to explore the solar system in search of new sources of raw materials. This will also fuel development of advanced propulsion, radiation shielding and self-contained, self-sustaining systems.

I think time travel will turn out to be a lot more complicated and out of reach than anticipated. I doubt it will happen anytime within the millennium. The same for wormholes. But when those techs do arrive, they may come near the same point.

The teleportation of simple and possibly more complex inorganic objects is a strong possibility. We just need slightly better scanning and 3D fabrication tech, which is already moving along at a good clip. The only hitch with that is political, involving copyright, patent and other intellectual property laws. I don't think BMW will be very cool with people having the ability to clone one of their cars, molecule for molecule.

The possibilities for technology development are limitless, the only real barriers are political & economic.

Diagnosed in 2005

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2012, 2:00 pm

pete1061 wrote:

There MAY be a potential for instantaneous communications derived out of current research with quantum entanglement.

Please inform us if an FTL morse lamp can be built. In fact send us the news ftl and we will receive it ten years ago.

ruveyn

Quazar
Raven
Raven

27 Jun 2012, 4:45 am

nanobots are most likely going to be the aw of the 21st century with the power to create complex objects instantly with inexpensive materials, make nearly unbreakable materials on the molecular level, and even merge with us to make us smarter, regenerate wounds faster and even stop and rewind ageing :D

pete1061
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2012, 2:11 pm

ruveyn wrote:
pete1061 wrote:

Please inform us if an FTL morse lamp can be built. In fact send us the news ftl and we will receive it ten years ago.

ruveyn

I'm just sayin there might be a potential for communications with zero delay involving quantum entanglement.
I realize it's just grasping at straws and there's a good chance will not work out. It's all just speculation on my part.
It would enable real-time communications with rovers or people on mars, the moon or elsewhere in the solar system.
Transmitter and receiver would be manufactured at the same time, in the same place, then separated.

What you're talking about is communication with a negative time delay.
That's a whole other ball game entirely, involving different quantum principles and likely centuries away. And at that, such a device could never transmit to a point in the past beyond it's creation.

And I repeat, this all pure speculation on my part, I have no references to back any of this up.

Diagnosed in 2005

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2012, 9:39 pm

pete1061 wrote:

And I repeat, this all pure speculation on my part, I have no references to back any of this up.

quite so.

ruveyn

Quantum_Immortal
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Jun 2012, 1:05 pm

2012 is the end of the world.

MDD123
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2012, 6:56 pm

Additive Manufacturing is already capable of producing exact 3d replicas of cad designs. Although making metallic objects require human operators right now, the technology could be capable of producing parts needed for space operations by using resources gathered outside of earth's orbit.

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2012, 7:19 pm

MDD123 wrote:
Additive Manufacturing is already capable of producing exact 3d replicas of cad designs. Although making metallic objects require human operators right now, the technology could be capable of producing parts needed for space operations by using resources gathered outside of earth's orbit.

Selective laser sintering can print in titanium just fine, there also exist s multi stage milling machines capable of rearranging the workpiece that can produce metal items with extremely little human interaction.

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.

MDD123
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2012, 9:29 pm

Oodain wrote:
MDD123 wrote:

Selective laser sintering can print in titanium just fine, there also exist s multi stage milling machines capable of rearranging the workpiece that can produce metal items with extremely little human interaction.

The sintered product needs to be carefully dusted and heat treated in order to be usable though, the demonstration I saw required some manual dexterity. Is there a way to print metal without having to do this?