Page 1 of 4 [ 57 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Kinme
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2012, 11:40 pm

I'm not sure how long it's been since this kind of thread was posted, so I'm posting one:

Is there anyone else who gets almost no sleep and can function well enough to do fine at work, school, college, etcetera? I still excel in my classes and I get MAYBE four hours of sleep each night. I'm also very restless when I sleep and so I end up feeling like crap when I wake up. I have extreme sensitivity to everything and become overly stimulated, but I can still perform exceptionally when it comes to exams and stuff. I notice I can also focus better, since I can only concentrate on one thing at a time in the morning and early afternoon.

Do you guys feel like any of your abilities are heightened when you get no sleep, or do you have more trouble doing things you're usually good at?

reecare
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

19 Jun 2012, 11:46 pm

I've worked a nine hour shift on two hours of sleep before... i excelled that day.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2012, 11:47 pm

I find that a lack of sleep doesn't affect my ability to do things, but it also messes with my thoughts at the same time.

Kinme
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2012, 11:48 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
I find that a lack of sleep doesn't affect my ability to do things, but it also messes with my thoughts at the same time.

Messes with your thoughts? How so?

Kinme
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2012, 11:49 pm

reecare wrote:
I've worked a nine hour shift on two hours of sleep before... i excelled that day.

Did you really excel, or was this sarcasm? :p

Lumpia
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Jun 2012, 11:50 pm

Most people (as in all types of brains) report that sleeping too much makes their brain sluggish.

My perfect sleep is at 6 hours but I do sometimes wake up early unintentionally.

I dont like it when that happens but I do fine mentally.

reecare

19 Jun 2012, 11:51 pm

Kinme wrote:
reecare wrote:

I really did excel that day!

Kinme
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2012, 11:51 pm

reecare wrote:
Kinme wrote:
reecare wrote:

I really did excel that day!

>.< Maybe you should continue sleeping less! :D

Kinme
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2012, 11:55 pm

Lumpia wrote:
Most people (as in all types of brains) report that sleeping too much makes their brain sluggish.

My perfect sleep is at 6 hours but I do sometimes wake up early unintentionally.

I dont like it when that happens but I do fine mentally.

Really? I've never heard that before.

Lumpia
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Jun 2012, 12:01 am

I have had this conversation many times. In fact just yesterday my comrade and I were on our way to work. He had overslept that morning. We were talking about how it made your brain sluggish.

Not a statistic just something that I have always kept on my brain.

I know for certain it is true with me.

Also FYI the psychology world has identified optimum hours of sleep for different age groups (Infant, toddler, child, teenager, adult, senior, and others). The lower age groups have developmental ramifications while the older age groups I *believe* concentrate more on daily performance.

iggy64
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Jun 2012, 12:34 am

I need less sleep than a lot of people I know my age, I sleep for 6 hours. However, reduce that by even 1 hour and I start feeling terrible by 2pm and sleep about 8-9 hours the next night :roll:

If I get 6 hours though, everything is fine.

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2012, 5:38 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwYS5rOf4Nc[/youtube]

Atomsk
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2012, 6:24 am

I earned my bachelor's from my university with many many sleepless nights, and almost every single night having 4 or fewer hours of sleep. Even on weekends I'd get a similar amount of sleep.

However, when I'm doing things like a lot of socializing, or doing things like dealing with a lot of things that bother me or are difficult for me, I get tired very fast - and on days where I must deal with those things, having more sleep than 2-4 hours helps.

But most nights, I get about 4 hours of sleep.

And many nights I still go sleepless because of my main special interest - which was a big cause of the sleeplessness in university as well.

Kinme
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2012, 3:20 pm

Venger wrote:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwYS5rOf4Nc[/youtube]

Good call. ;D

Kinme
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2012, 3:21 pm

Lumpia wrote:
I have had this conversation many times. In fact just yesterday my comrade and I were on our way to work. He had overslept that morning. We were talking about how it made your brain sluggish.

Not a statistic just something that I have always kept on my brain.

I know for certain it is true with me.

Also FYI the psychology world has identified optimum hours of sleep for different age groups (Infant, toddler, child, teenager, adult, senior, and others). The lower age groups have developmental ramifications while the older age groups I *believe* concentrate more on daily performance.

Oh, I see.

Makes sense to me.

Kinme
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2012, 3:21 pm

iggy64 wrote:
I need less sleep than a lot of people I know my age, I sleep for 6 hours. However, reduce that by even 1 hour and I start feeling terrible by 2pm and sleep about 8-9 hours the next night :roll:

If I get 6 hours though, everything is fine.

So, it has to be an exact amount of time, otherwise, it throws your day off?