Psychological evaluation not thorough enough?

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

EstherJ
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2012, 1:20 am

So when I went for my diagnosis, they of course typed up a whole relevant history, observation, and test results document for me.

But I'm sitting here running my brain through the mill agonizing over what they missed.

Here's a recap of what they missed, in my opinion:
Child history:
- echolalia (really bad until I was around 9-10 - Standing too close to people, compulsively touching hair - Few childhood friendships (2, to be exact - one in elementary and one in high school) - Excessive compulsions/routines in childhood - No significant eye contact until 12 years old - Very little playing with toys, simply lining up - Handwriting and shoe tying issues - I have always had issues with talking too loud - Mother always commented on how I had an odd gait as a child.

Current issues:
- I do not read facial expression - I do not get inferences - I spend 6-8 hours a day on my interests - They got my special interests WRONG - My sensory issues affect my concentration, not depression.

They did recap everything significant and said all the important stuff, but these are details that I tend to fixate on. Shouldn't they be in there? Do neurotypicals just like things general, and just like "enough, but not too much?"
If I wrote up the report, I would include everything. Not just "general info" or "enough."

This really bothers me.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2012, 3:05 am

Why do you need the report to have everything about you? Mine doesn't have everything about me either. Also not everything is correct in it either. I have no idea how to correct it and only I know the truth to it. I found the report when I was 15 and I refuse to read it all. That was three years after my diagnoses.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

EstherJ
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2012, 6:38 am

I don't know. I'm just really exact, I guess.

And, my professors have to see some of it.

KittyCommand0r
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 Jun 2012, 6:49 am

You'll be surprised with how much they get by just observing. Mine doesn't have everything in it either. Its missing a lot. Partly because I forgot to say. They still diagnosed me with Autism.

EstherJ
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2012, 7:52 am

Should I push for that stuff to be in there, or no?

McAnulty
Toucan
Toucan

20 Jun 2012, 8:14 am

This tends to happen with any kind of medical file. They copy something wrong, or miss a detail, or make a false assumption. My sons files often have errors like this. You can go back and ask them to modify it if you want. Most of the people I have worked with have always asked us to review reports and to make corrections or additions as necessary. If this is a document that is important and that other people will be reading it you have a right to have it as complete, accurate and detailed as possible. If this is important to you I would suggest asking for a revision. You don't want details you consider important left out, and you don't want people making false assumptions because of what is written down.

EstherJ
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2012, 8:28 am

McAnulty wrote:
This tends to happen with any kind of medical file. They copy something wrong, or miss a detail, or make a false assumption. My sons files often have errors like this. You can go back and ask them to modify it if you want. Most of the people I have worked with have always asked us to review reports and to make corrections or additions as necessary. If this is a document that is important and that other people will be reading it you have a right to have it as complete, accurate and detailed as possible. If this is important to you I would suggest asking for a revision. You don't want details you consider important left out, and you don't want people making false assumptions because of what is written down.

My concern is that I don't want to come off as this picky snob....I just have this obsession with accuracy.

McAnulty
Toucan
Toucan

20 Jun 2012, 8:46 am

You might come across as picky, you might not. I don't think it will make you come across as a snob. Just be polite about asking and explain that the little details bother you even if it might seem silly. In the end, does it really matter if they think you're picky?

EstherJ
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2012, 8:47 am

No, I'm sure they have seen much worse....after all, they are diagnostic psychologists...