Perhaps I'm just meant to die alone?

Page 3 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

biostructure
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2012, 1:25 am

Quote:
Wait too long and the expectations go up significantly, to the point that it will be much more difficult.

Unfortunately VERY true! High school and early college are the time people are exploring and willing to give the benefit of the doubt. I was naive enough to think it would always be that way...

Bucephalus: It can go both ways. I find both certain kindred spirits and certain near-opposites enticing. But even with kindred spirits there probably has to be some contrast. Particularly since many people want someone who is at least a tad more feminine or masculine than them, which is not possible for total "carbon copies".

Adam82
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2012, 1:44 am

DonkeyBuster wrote:
rabbittss wrote:
Once I hit 30, I plan to take up smoking and drinking heavily. I have no interest in living past 35.

Yeah, I was stunned as hell to make it past 21, figuring someone else would kill me if I didn't do it myself, & here I am at 55. Still don't have a 5 year plan. :lol:

If you don't mind me asking, how is life now for you? I just want some assurance that things will get better for me in the future. I am nearly 30 now, and not in a very good place in life. I have no interest in continuing on the way I am, for much longer.

rabbittss
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2012, 10:03 am

biostructure wrote:

Bucephalus: It can go both ways. I find both certain kindred spirits and certain near-opposites enticing. But even with kindred spirits there probably has to be some contrast. Particularly since many people want someone who is at least a tad more feminine or masculine than them, which is not possible for total "carbon copies".

I think this is definitely part of my problem.. since what I really want, and almost all the people I'm attracted to.. tend to be exact carbon copies of myself. There might be some differences.. but they tend to be minor things such as diet... Unfortunately these people tend to wind up coming to view me as a brother rather than anything else.. which then completely ruins it for them... and then we wind up getting to the point where miscommunications pile up and we can't even be friends. One recent especially good example was so similar to me my friends all wanted to know if I had a twin sister.. I found her extremely attractive.. but she obviously didn't feel that way and now we don't even talk.

Uri
Raven
Raven

24 Jun 2012, 6:08 pm

darkfoxkyoko wrote:
Have you had experience to the contrary?

Yes my experience has been very much to the contrary.

ooo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Jun 2012, 7:30 am

Fact: Most people die alone... in hospitals, no less. Sometimes they were widowed, some never married, sometimes the spouse is just at home.

You're 18, not 81. You have your whole life ahead of you. You have no idea if you'll suddenly stumble onto some great relationship at, say, 25.
Alone or not, there's plenty to do, explore, enjoy, learn, and accomplish. Romantic relationships make up only a small part of life. And to the person who doesn't see the good in life past 35? Horse s**t. The teens and twenties are said to be the most challenging parts of life, where you develop and get to know yourself. The thirties and forties are where you have wisdom, maturity (not "omg, age 35 and it's all over"), confidence, and the ability to take life for what it is, laugh, and enjoy yourself.

Learning to live alone and to enjoy your own company is the best advice I've read in this thread.

ooo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Jun 2012, 7:32 am

DonkeyBuster wrote:
rabbittss wrote:
Once I hit 30, I plan to take up smoking and drinking heavily. I have no interest in living past 35.

Yeah, I was stunned as hell to make it past 21, figuring someone else would kill me if I didn't do it myself, & here I am at 55. Still don't have a 5 year plan. :lol:

+ 1

Cisc
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Jun 2012, 12:54 am

Your purpose, like everyone elses, is to procreate.

How you die is of little concern to your biological imperative.

biostructure
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2012, 2:02 am

rabbittss wrote:
One recent especially good example was so similar to me my friends all wanted to know if I had a twin sister.. I found her extremely attractive.. but she obviously didn't feel that way and now we don't even talk.

Don't you just hate when that happens? But, I'm beginning to realize that in some of the cases I thought were like this, there likely actually were more differences than I gave credit for. Not only the literally obvious ones, like I know more than they do about certain types of science, but also emotional ones--some of which I overlooked simply because I'm used to girls in general being different from me in those ways.