Get rid of the laws and let the humans run wild!

Page 1 of 11 [ 167 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next

Outcome of no laws? (after change period has elapsed.)
Anarchy 61%  61%  [ 20 ]
Peace 9%  9%  [ 3 ]
Never ending Transition (bit of both) 30%  30%  [ 10 ]
Total votes : 33

CornerPuzzlePieces
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Jun 2012, 2:54 pm

Read this and poke holes in my philosophy if you find any, I will attempt to correct them.

-----

Crime in a society where nothing is forbidden would eventually cease to exist.

If people's basic needs are cared for, and they are not forbidden from any activity, then what reason do they have to commit a crime?

..for example, remove the idea of police for a second. GASP.

In the absence of police, people commit crimes. Maybe to steal something of value. Maybe because they get a rush from it?

Well if you take care of people, allow them to put in time to get bonuses like ipods (but food and shelter, basics are provided free.) then they have little incentive to steal.

The ipods come easily, they dont have to worry about placing it ahead of basics. And kids who get a rush from disobeying authority figures no longer get that chance- there are no authority figures.

You can go anywhere, build anything, travel, walk around naked. It DOES NOT MATTER.

The problem in our society is the ILLUSION of freedom. We are stuck within a certain boundary. Remove that boundary and I think you would find people functioned more altruistically.

It's like caging a shark to stop it from causing harm and saying "look how nice it is" when the alternative- letting it out to open ocean its natural place would be far safer.

I say eventually because people would act out.. to start with.

Let them get it out of their system and I think after the dust settled we would have achieved something worthwhile.

People are not ideal... say some guy loses his career and jumps off a highrise, splat. Dead.

Who will clean it up? People are all sitting at home, watching tv and fat. This is except for the cleanup crew. who probably hates their job but is paid to do it and must do it because they need to survive.

One of the crew steals a pocketwatch to pay the months rent.

In our good society this would not happen- people would be out doing things, the guy would have no problem going back to school and fiinding a new career or perhaps inventing a new kind of engine, or just writing an awsome movie. All expenses cared for.

The cleanup crew still cleans up the sidewalk but there is no dead body. Grandmas pocket watch is passed on to little timmy.

Still someone has to clean the toilets- you say no one will want to do hard work if there is no stick or carrot? Ideally you have self cleaning toilets but for the sake of transition we will need something to hold us over.. Let's reward people who do physical work MORE than those who do theoretical work.

Hear me out now.. :)

Those who do theoretical work likely do it because they love it, they want to pursue new and interesting ideas. Little incentive is needed in this case.

Hard labour however is still hard labour- robot suits aside it isn't something people do for fun usually... so we need more carrot and no stick at all. No threat of eviction if they don't work- but huge bonuses if they do! We need to draw people to it somehow.

Vacations are not free- it's not some happy go lucky world yet. You need credits to buy ipods still.

But it's a step closer- no misery from job loss, no threat of homelessness, you can live the basic life or you can put in more effort and get some extra bonuses. Kind of like now only the lowest level is basic.

Sounds like communism? Well it isn't. People will still be seperated by how much they put in, what new ideas they come up with, how many fish they catch. The balance of how much each person earns will depend on the job and the progress they make.

People need to be allowed to grow but they should not be allowed to sink below water level.

To summarize:
=No laws.
=Free basics
=Huge incentives for work
=Free time
=True Freedom

What do you think?

-----

Sorry it's long but take it one point at a time- just pick one and reply it.

Shatbat
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2012, 4:09 pm

Before fully going at it, I need to clarify some points.

First, who is providing everything, Who is in charge of giving everyone food and shelter and covering their basic needs, who is in charge of all of that? And also, who decides who is working harder, who manages all the resources and decides who deserves more and who deserves less? Whoever that guy is, he would hold all the power.

And let's say I want an iPad, but to get it I must do some kind of task, but I'm so lazy I prefer just to steal it from someone. There, crime is still being made. Or I'm just an as*hole, and I want an iPod for every member of my family, so I'll steal more! And talking about family members, their daughter looks kind of cute, and who's to stop me? There are much worse crimes than thievery. And something I've noticed about crime: Many of them are all about getting something at the expense of other. Which is easier than getting those yourself. And if he's getting what he wants from others, why shouldn't I?

A small part of your idea already exists, and it's called Germany. With the Hartz IV, an unemployed German citizen without any assets is entitled to a a montly wage, plus adequate housing and healthcare, a married unemployed couple getting more, plus a set amount per children depending on their age. A family of, let's say, five, where both parents are unemployed, can live there with all their basic need covered. It will look like poverty from our standards, but they have food, shelter, protection, and everything anyone needs to survive, which is much more than it can be said for poor people in other countries. Free time? All of it. Some of them are genuinely looking for a job, but others are just used to it, and live content without bothering to change their situation. One of the catches is, there are times where being unemployed is better than having a low-paying job over a threshold, while many people choose to obtain unemployment benefits while having a job just under that threshold.

TheDarkMage
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Jun 2012, 4:15 pm

sorry but there is no way anything good would ever come out of it. it would be world war 3 and 4 at the same time.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2012, 4:17 pm

CornerPuzzlePieces wrote:
Read this and poke holes in my philosophy if you find any, I will attempt to correct them.

-----

Quote:

It wouldn't eventually cease to exist. It would instantaneously cease to exist once it is declared that nothing is forbidden. If nothing is forbidden, then by definition nothing that anybody does is a crime, regardless of its' effects on others.

If people's basic needs are cared for, and they are not forbidden from any activity, then what reason do they have to commit a crime?
Quote:

How would peoples' basic needs be cared for? That can only be guarenteed when providing for the needs of others is required. If nothing is forbidden, then it isn't forbidden for anyone to just decide that they don't want to care for anybody else's needs anymore.

In the absence of police, people commit crimes. Maybe to steal something of value. Maybe because they get a rush from it?

Well if you take care of people, allow them to put in time to get bonuses like ipods (but food and shelter, basics are provided free.) then they have little incentive to steal.
Quote:

Theft is but one crime among many. Your lack of police leaves vulnerable people open to predation. Rape just became legal. Thanks a lot.

The ipods come easily, they dont have to worry about placing it ahead of basics. And kids who get a rush from disobeying authority figures no longer get that chance- there are no authority figures.
Quote:

Where do the ipods come from?

You can go anywhere, build anything, travel, walk around naked. It DOES NOT MATTER.
Quote:

You can walk around naked...but then again it is also perfectly legal for others to do whatever they want to you when you do so. Also, I wouldn't recommend flying or building anything when safety laws have ceased to exist and other people can just decide they don't like your structure and destroy it- or nail you to it (perfectly legal).

The problem in our society is the ILLUSION of freedom. We are stuck within a certain boundary. Remove that boundary and I think you would find people functioned more altruistically.
Quote:

I don't think people would function more altruistically. I think that in the face of anarchy, people would split into small groups (tribes) and behave altruistically only to those in their group and violently to those outside it. Historically, that is what humans have always done. What civilization has done is merely gotten people to expand their concept of "our group" to include countless people they don't know personally. But it is laws and governance that keeps that afloat.

It's like caging a shark to stop it from causing harm and saying "look how nice it is" when the alternative- letting it out to open ocean its natural place would be far safer.
Quote:

An odd analogy, given that the shark still gets hungry and still needs to defend its' territory.

Let them get it out of their system and I think after the dust settled we would have achieved something worthwhile.
Quote:

After the dust settles what people would eventually do is....make laws and figure out a means to enforce them. It's what people do in order to make life bearable and marginally safe.

People are not ideal... say some guy loses his career and jumps off a highrise, splat. Dead.

Who will clean it up? People are all sitting at home, watching tv and fat. This is except for the cleanup crew. who probably hates their job but is paid to do it and must do it because they need to survive.

In our good society this would not happen- people would be out doing things, the guy would have no problem going back to school and fiinding a new career or perhaps inventing a new kind of engine, or just writing an awsome movie. All expenses cared for.

The cleanup crew still cleans up the sidewalk but there is no dead body. Grandmas pocket watch is passed on to little timmy.

Still someone has to clean the toilets- you say no one will want to do hard work if there is no stick or carrot? Ideally you have self cleaning toilets but for the sake of transition we will need something to hold us over.. Let's reward people who do physical work MORE than those who do theoretical work.
Quote:

Reward them how? In this lawless world, there is nothing that compels anyone to reward anyone else for anything. And if people work out some sort of system (without making anything legal), what is to stop people from gaming the system and figuring out ways to get that incentive without truly having done the work? Well, you could make that sort of cheating illegal...but then, that would be a law.
Quote:

Those who do theoretical work likely do it because they love it, they want to pursue new and interesting ideas. Little incentive is needed in this case.

Hard labour however is still hard labour- robot suits aside it isn't something people do for fun usually... so we need more carrot and no stick at all. No threat of eviction if they don't work- but huge bonuses if they do! We need to draw people to it somehow.

Vacations are not free- it's not some happy go lucky world yet. You need credits to buy ipods still.

But it's a step closer- no misery from job loss, no threat of homelessness, you can live the basic life or you can put in more effort and get some extra bonuses. Kind of like now only the lowest level is basic.

Sounds like communism? Well it isn't. People will still be seperated by how much they put in, what new ideas they come up with, how many fish they catch. The balance of how much each person earns will depend on the job and the progress they make.

People need to be allowed to grow but they should not be allowed to sink below water level.

To summarize:
=No laws.
=Free basics
=Free time
=True Freedom

What do you think?
Quote:

I think it's absurd. It assumes that people will instantly become honest and nobody will ever try to cheat this new credit/reward system and will willingly work to provide "free basics" without cheating on those provisions. It also assumes that theft is the only crime people commit and therefore the only one that needs to be guarded against. Crimes of violence are often

-----

(that;'s me inside the quotes. I'm too lazy to go back and flip/flop all the quote/unquotes. Sorry.)

thedaywalker
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2012, 4:50 pm

i think the op makes a strong point but might be a little week upon the details. the fact of the matter is that the laws don't matter but the way people behave does now we have the laws and people don't behave properly. the laws don't do the things they where supposed to do. also to the reply of one the respondents if a girl gets raped there will most likely be people seeking revenge and a new kind of social justice will be formed.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2012, 8:19 pm

CornerPuzzlePieces wrote:

-----

To summarize:
=No laws.
=Free basics
=Free time
=True Freedom

What do you think?

-----

There is ZERO chance our your vision being realized.

DC
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2012, 8:37 pm

The problem with all this ultra libertarian crap is that is has never worked in human history and no one has ever been able to provide a single scrap of evidence that it would work.

Ok OP, gives a single example, just one from the entire span of human history where the break down of law and order and consequent power vacuum has ever been maintained and resulted in the outcome you describe.

One example, of a large number of people (not a few hundred blokes on a little island somewhere) that have created a stable, peaceful, progressive, technologically advanced society with no hierarchy, organisation or rule of law.

It has never happened.

There are only two options, either the society returns to a hobbesian state of nature or new law and order is created.

If you want to see the reality of your Randian fantasies, go visit Somalia some time, is life better or worse?

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2012, 8:53 pm

DC; the above post is not libertarian.

It seems the OP has crossed Anarchism with Communism.

While he does have elements of freedom, the idea of having needs cared for and being given stuff is communist in nature; and communism always leads to human rights abuses.

Libertarians do believe in government; but in a limited role. Libertarianism is not anarchy. Libertarianism rejects the idea of a nany state government; but it does believe there are legit roles of government. 3 examples are:

National Defense
Minting Money
Enforcing Contracts

DC
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2012, 9:14 pm

thewhitrbbit wrote:
DC; the above post is not libertarian.

It seems the OP has crossed Anarchism with Communism.

While he does have elements of freedom, the idea of having needs cared for and being given stuff is communist in nature; and communism always leads to human rights abuses.

Libertarians do believe in government; but in a limited role. Libertarianism is not anarchy. Libertarianism rejects the idea of a nany state government; but it does believe there are legit roles of government. 3 examples are:

National Defense
Minting Money
Enforcing Contracts

To be fair I did specify ultra-libertarian.

I think what the OP is suggesting is closer to anarchocaptialism than anarchocommunism because people's motivation to work stems from what they personally get out of the 'systemless system' rather than as a selfless act as altruism as is the case in strict anarchocommunism.

Quote:

In practice you can reasonably lump libertarianism and anarchism in the same basket because they go so far off the normal left right that they meet in the middle. Just like you can lump Hitler and Stalin together as totalitarian monsters even though one grew out of an ultra right ideology and the other from an ultra left one, they both ended up pretty much identical.

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2012, 9:17 pm

In Anarchy we all die their has to be law and order of some kind in a society.

DC
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2012, 9:26 pm

Joker wrote:

Joker, we agree on something!

Lets have a hug quick before the moment passes. :D

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2012, 9:26 pm

DC wrote:
Joker wrote:

Joker, we agree on something!

Lets have a hug quick before the moment passes. :D

Yes we do DC if their are no laws the world would be a even scarier place to live.

SilverStar
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2012, 9:38 pm

No country is this world we live in, is truly free. Here in the US, they like to throw around the word freedom alot, but we aren't completely free to do whatever we want here, either. I would say that we do have more personal freedom, compared to some other countries out there, though.

The problem with having total freedom is, people can't be trusted to do the right thing (whatever that may be) on their own, which is why laws were created in the first place. Look at what has happened to our country with all of the laws and regulations we have in place, now just imagine what it would be like without.

My idea of freedom is:
People are free to do whatever they want, as long as they don't cause problems for someone else.

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2012, 9:39 pm

SilverStar wrote:
No country is this world we live in, is truly free. Here in the US, they like to throw around the word freedom alot, but we aren't completely free to do whatever we want here, either. I would say that we do have more personal freedom, compared to some other countries out there, though.

The problem with having total freedom is, people can't be trusted to do the right thing (whatever that may be) on their own, which is why laws were created in the first place. Look at what has happened to our country with all of the laws and regulations we have in place, now just imagine what it would be like without.

My idea of freedom is:
People are free to do whatever they want, as long as they don't cause problems for someone else.

That sort of freedom exists how ever Anarachy is a bad idea

SilverStar
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2012, 9:46 pm

Joker wrote:
SilverStar wrote:

My idea of freedom is:

With the society we have today, yes it is...but it doesn't have to be. :wink:

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2012, 9:47 pm

SilverStar wrote:
Joker wrote:
SilverStar wrote:

My idea of freedom is:

With the society we have today, yes it is...but it doesn't have to be. :wink:

I do believe too much freedom with give a rise to people abusing their freedoms to do things. But your right 8)