Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2012, 10:36 pm

Am I a hipster? I like oldschool things like vinyls and vinyl player's and vintage clothing and plaid of all things. I don't know the definition but it seems people relate plaid, vintage and vinyl to hipsters and I like all of those. So am I one without even knowing my level of hipster coolness?

ha ha joke thread, I am not being very serious just trying to be funny I suppose.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2012, 11:14 pm

It seems that I'm also a hipster.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2012, 11:20 pm

I gotta lay off the vinyl or something or I shall be doomed into hipsterness.

again_with_this
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2012, 11:23 pm

Hipsters self-identify as such. Much of what they do is to fit in with a subculture.

If you enjoy this stuff of your own accord, great. There's a social--do i dare say neurotypical?--aspect to those who seek to present themselves as, or self identify with, a subculture.

In fact, people within these subcultures may tell you that you don't qualify, that you are a "poser," if you like these things but don't abide by whatever the hell the rules are of that social subgroup.

Long story short, I think "hipster" and other labels have more to do with the social structure of a group of people, their defining interests come second.

again_with_this
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2012, 11:29 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:

I really enjoy vinyl, and I'm lucky to live near a record store that sells used but good quality classic albums for a $1. While I sincerely enjoy record shopping for my own delight, I've picked up on a pretentiousness of the people who work in these places. There's no camaraderie, they don't see me as "one of them." Not that I'm looking to be accepted, but it's sort of a "You're into vinyl? Pff, I can't take you seriously. You don't dress the part and speak the lingo. You must be doing this just to feel cool."

I find it odd, but this seems to be a standard belief among these people. They seem perplexed that not only do I share the interest, but that it has nothing to do with wanting to fit in with anything.

Personally, I think it's cool when random people, seemingly much different than myself, share an interest. It's something to make conversation about. But a lot of people treat their interests as tribal, and if you aren't tribe, you must be an intruder.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2012, 11:32 pm

again_with_this wrote:
Hipsters self-identify as such. Much of what they do is to fit in with a subculture.

If you enjoy this stuff of your own accord, great. There's a social--do i dare say neurotypical?--aspect to those who seek to present themselves as, or self identify with, a subculture.

In fact, people within these subcultures may tell you that you don't qualify, that you are a "poser," if you like these things but don't abide by whatever the hell the rules are of that social subgroup.

Long story short, I think "hipster" and other labels have more to do with the social structure of a group of people, their defining interests come second.

I don't know I don't see anything necessarily neurotypical about seeking social interaction with people who share similar interests. I mean I don't really see much neurotypical about being a metalhead which I would say I am so I am not so sure what is neurotypical about fitting with a subculture.....though neurotypicals are certainly welcome to it.

I just don't see what the big deal is, I mean its like no one can point out what exactly it is that is so bad about them....its mostly they have intrests that aren't popular these days so it must be about trying to be trendy, which i suppose I don't get.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2012, 11:34 pm

again_with_this wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

I really enjoy vinyl, and I'm lucky to live near a record store that sells used but good quality classic albums for a $1. While I sincerely enjoy record shopping for my own delight, I've picked up on a pretentiousness of the people who work in these places. There's no camaraderie, they don't see me as "one of them." Not that I'm looking to be accepted, but it's sort of a "You're into vinyl? Pff, I can't take you seriously. You don't dress the part and speak the lingo. You must be doing this just to feel cool."

I find it odd, but this seems to be a standard belief among these people. They seem perplexed that not only do I share the interest, but that it has nothing to do with wanting to fit in with anything.

Personally, I think it's cool when random people, seemingly much different than myself, share an interest. It's something to make conversation about. But a lot of people treat their interests as tribal, and if you aren't tribe, you must be an intruder.

I have never really run into that, usually I am more likely to get comments about how good my selection of used vinyls I am getting is.

22 Jun 2012, 11:36 pm

asdsaas

again_with_this
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2012, 11:54 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
I just don't see what the big deal is, I mean its like no one can point out what exactly it is that is so bad about them....its mostly they have intrests that aren't popular these days so it must be about trying to be trendy, which i suppose I don't get.

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with having those interests at all. And if you meet others who share those interests, great.

But start hanging around hipsters, or any other subculture, and you'll find that there are social norms. There are things hipsters are discouraged from liking, as they're "unhip," and to like them is social suicide.

Unless you're group of hipsters doesn't care.

again_with_this
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2012, 11:55 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
I have never really run into that, usually I am more likely to get comments about how good my selection of used vinyls I am getting is.

Probably because you're female, it's usually a passive/aggressive thing from these males toward me.

Or maybe you're just oblivious to it.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2012, 11:59 pm

Sometimes I worry that I'm a hipster because I have an aversion to anything that I perceive to be "too popular". My mom says I have been like this ever since I was a child. A couple of times I have even forced myself to stop having certain special interests because I thought they were "too popular". So in the spirit of trying to break my "hipster mentality" (as I like to refer to the practice of actively avoiding popular things), I'm making it a point to try things out when I hear that they become popular. That way if it turns out that I don't like them, I can at least say that I tried them first instead of being someone who bashes it for no reason.

2wheels4ever
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2012, 12:11 am

It is impossible to be a hipster if you can even change a worn stylus by yourself