Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

sam212
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Jun 2012, 7:28 pm

Hi,

My brother recently started a position as a "sandwich artist." His training hours are being cut because of how he performs on the job. He doesn't smile at customers and has told his manager he does not smile, and he's apparently forgetting to finish one assigned task before moving on to another. He also has ADHD. He's 18, and this is his first job. I'm reading through the pinned topic about jobs, but was wondering if anyone has specific experience with something similar. I can understand that the manager doesn't have time to focus on one person while managing a business, but it also doesn't seem like he's had enough time to get acclimated.

Are there any tips I can give him to try to remain focused and be willing to interact with customers?

Thanks for your help.

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2012, 7:33 pm

Drink a lot of coffee before work, and pray. That's about all.

ooo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Jun 2012, 12:30 am

That's really something where practice makes perfect. Most sandwich makers I've seen are atrocious their first few days (or weeks!) but get better over time. Trying to focus, coffee, memorizing the sandwich combinations, practicing smiling just all the time... might help.

TheTigress
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Jun 2012, 12:37 am

This is a copypasta of another post I made in a similar thread on the "Stats" section, but it will give you a good idea of what your brother is going to have to endure at that job. Sorry to be the bringer of bad news but this was my personal experience as a sandwich artist. The best advice to give to your brother is to try to find a new job as quickly as possible:

I was a sandwich slave for nearly 6 years and let me tell you it was one of the most demoralizing soul sucking experiences of my life. It has really increased my bitterness towards humanity. The only reason I was there for so long was because as much as I hated it, it was my "comfort zone" and I figured it was easier to stay where I was than look for a different job. (The whole interview process puppet show is not something that I enjoy) I was also only part time and not full time. I wouldn't have lasted nearly as long if I was working full time.

For one thing that job is an absolute nightmare for an Aspie. The worst part being the forced social interaction and the vile picky customers. I never knew people could be so anal and cruel over sandwiches until I started working there. This video pretty much sums it up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXseSWXO ... ature=plcp

The customers can also sense that you are different and then get angry at you because they felt offended due to having different body language or a monotone voice/lack of eye contact (or any other Aspie induced mannerism). They would take anything slightly off about me personally and treat me like garbage before fleeing home to go complain some more to corporate because I failed to follow the NT code of remembering to blink my left eye at the proper moment after a certain social cue or something as equally ridiculous.

It got especially bad during $5 dollar footlong month. All Subway workers dread that time more than any other time. Hordes of non stop lines of people with their text message lists for 5 footlong Chicken Bacon Ranches at a time complaining that they only got one handful of olives instead of 7.

I was however, ridiculously fast and efficient at everything I did there. (One of my Aspie skills is that I'm really good at streamlining tasks) I was the fastest sandwich maker in the store, only for the reason that it was my least favorite thing to do so I wanted to get it over with as quickly as possible. Trust me, that was a really good motivator for me. I much preferred the back room duties. Had a streamlined set order that I would do my tasks in from years of experience. Before I left I made sure to teach my veteran tricks to some of my other co workers. My co-workers were never really a problem for me. I got along great with them because they respected my work ethic and punctuality and loved that I would always lend them an extra hand if they were falling behind on their duties. Management was another story. I had typical Aspie clashes with them (The owner of the store was a walking stereotype penny pinching employee abusing snake) and they singled me out and were looking for any excuse to get rid of me.

On a final note, Subway management and customers take not having the NT smiley face there very seriously. I was never a smiler either and got constant complaints about it no matter how fast and efficiently I made sandwiches or finished my tasks.

Sorry if this sounds extra bitter. That place just left me with a lot of PTSD and a thousand yard stare and I just hope your brother's experience won't be as bad as mine.

fwolter
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

30 Jun 2012, 2:54 am

TheTigress wrote:
For one thing that job is an absolute nightmare for an Aspie. The worst part being the forced social interaction and the vile picky customers. I never knew people could be so anal and cruel over sandwiches until I started working there. This video pretty much sums it up: ht tp://w ww.youtube.c om/watch?v=bXseSWXOsN4&list=UUkLR6xrCZCH6TAcvjMfSB3A&index=1&feature=plcp

I work at Jimmy John's (In-Shop and Driver) and I rarely experience picky customers like that. The only real headaches I experience are when:

-There is a line to the door and a dozen or more sandwiches have to be made in like 2 minutes or people will get pissed.
-My deliveries are just sitting there, everyone is busy and I am held hostage by every phone ringing off the hook, preventing me from leaving. We seem to get unrelenting surges of phone orders at the most inopportune moments.

Other than that, I love it and the tip money I make.