Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Mootoo
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2012, 1:01 pm

Does anyone know if it's possible to sue one's parents if they've physically abused you as a child?

I need to get my revenge somehow...

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2012, 1:07 pm

Revenge never satisfies.

arielhawksquill
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2012, 1:20 pm

I found this article about how to go about suing your parents for abuse. However, I will say that perseverating about revenge continues to gives your abusers power over you and your emotional life, and lawsuits are expensive and not always successful.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5751852_sue-pas ... abuse.html

Dizzee
Toucan
Toucan

26 Jun 2012, 1:22 pm

Suing them is weak and childish, personally I just make their life harder by disobeying all responsibilities. They're not touching me.

CWA
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2012, 2:00 pm

They'll be punished when they are old and alone and no one visits them.

Revenge for this sort of thing... it won't help. You will still be angry even if you sue them and run them into the ground.

vindaloo
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Jun 2012, 2:18 pm

Ironically Richard Nixon is the source of the best quote I've found regarding revenge and hatred:

"Others may hate you, but those that hate you don't win unless you hate them, and then, you destroy yourself"

wanderinggrl
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Jun 2012, 2:24 pm

The best thing for you to do is talk with someone, a friend or professional about the abuse, and start healing. It will feel a lot better than getting revenge by suing them. If you do end up winning a long expensive court case against them it wont make you feel any better you will just have more money. You can pm me if you want to talk about it.

CuriousKitten
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Jun 2012, 2:49 pm

the best revenge you can get is to succeed in spite of them.

My dad used to hit me when he lost it. I forgave him when I learned what he lived with growing up -- I got off easy! My paternal grandmother had no right to raise children -- and someone in her past also should not have been around children as well.

Get into therapy and be happy in spite of them.

Aspie score: 142/200 NT score: 64/200
AQ Score: 42
BAP: 109 aloof, 94 rigid and 85 pragmatic

SpiritBlooms
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2012, 3:28 pm

Do you really want to relive all that? Because a lawsuit would require you to, and you would need proof. Isn't it better to move forward?

CuriousKitten wrote:
the best revenge you can get is to succeed in spite of them.
Get into therapy and be happy in spite of them.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

26 Jun 2012, 3:45 pm

[Moved from General Autism Discussion to Random Discussion]

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2012, 4:22 pm

It would be a better idea to talk to somebody about the abuse. It's never a good idea to sue your parents for anything.

Jasmine90
Toucan
Toucan

26 Jun 2012, 4:31 pm

I understand your feelings towards your parents, but life is not a movie, revenge is not always glamorous and in order to sue your parents, you would need to explain what your circumstances were to a lot of people.

Though, on the other hand, I think people need to pay for what they do. Child abuse is serious, and abusers should not be left to walk the streets, especially if they're a threat to society.
Suing them would damage their reputation, and will cause the world to see them for who they really are.
But not everyone wants that kind of attention, that's a question you need to ask yourself. Do you want to continue to be the victim? You will publicly be the victim and you will need to accept the fact that you might not be successful and could end up much out of pocket since law is treading expensive waters.

Do what you think is right, get appropriate advice from people in your area, maybe seek some emotional support. You might find that the best revenge is to move on with your life and no longer let your parents hurt you.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

26 Jun 2012, 4:56 pm

I never heard a news story or anything about someone suing his/her parents because of abuse. I have heard lots of stories about parents being arrested & facing criminal charges for it thou even if the abuse has occurred years ago & the kid has grown up.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2012, 7:28 pm

nick007 wrote:
I never heard a news story or anything about someone suing his/her parents because of abuse. I have heard lots of stories about parents being arrested & facing criminal charges for it thou even if the abuse has occurred years ago & the kid has grown up.

Yes...legions of child actors sue their parents for business reasons ( I believe Leann Rimes the current country singer ended up doing that), but I havent heard of anyone suing their parents for abuse, or malfeasance in bringing them up.

If your parents did things to you that were actually illegal, and there were actual police records , or hospital records, or the like, then you might have a slender leg to stand on. But if you're suing them for verbal and emotional abuse (real and damaging as it may have been) but they never laid a hand you I dont think it would get any traction. But Im not a lawyer, so thats just a guess.

Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2012, 9:46 pm

I imagine it could be done, people get sued for far stupider reasons. But as the saying says, the best revenge is living well.

Mootoo
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2012, 11:29 pm

I can't live well - my life is still broken because of them.