Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Adam917
Raven
Raven

26 Jun 2012, 2:22 pm

How many of you have fond memories of owning these cool timepieces back in the yesteryears & even in recent times? In yet another bout of nostalgia, I recently bought two Casio units: a used EDB-610 e-data bank w/ world time, calendar to 2039, 300-page telememo, & passcode; & a new silver colour DBC-32 w/ 10-year battery, calendar to 2099, dual time, & 25-page telememo. I'm very surprised Casio still makes these given even they themselves are coming out with a Bluetooth G-Shock watch & few youth even wear watches anymore. A funny blog entry I stumbled upon wonders aloud if Casio severely overestimated demand for these watches & has warehouses full of 1980s-era CPUs, watch cases, & chips.

These were bought even though I regularly use a Metawatch which is a Bluetooth watch that pairs up to Android & MeeGo phones pulling in phone call info, texts, e-mails, the current weather & forecast (wherever you are), controls music & phone calls, & lasts 5 days per charge. This one does have a continuous clock display & can display all info at a glance (vibrates too).

I suppose I could use the calculator watches as a backup in case the Metawatch dies on the road or something. I'm a sucker for tech watches. It's so cool having all the info right on your wrist. I have another Bluetooth watch called the Allerta inPulse Smartwatch that works with BlackBerry & Android, & another model from Allerta called Pebble is due out next year.

questor
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2012, 5:48 pm

I don't wear a watch, and for a very good reason. I have a black thumb with them. Every wrist watch I ever owned died quickly, both analog and digital, and I don't know why. I switched to pendant watches, and the same thing happened. I tried watches that can be clipped onto my tote bags and they died quickly, too. Perhaps I generate some sort of electromagnetic field that is deadly to watches. I do know that thanks to my Aspie mental processing issues, I seem to live on a slower time track than the rest of the world. Everyone else seems to be so much faster at doing stuff, including thinking. :roll: So if you are ever stopped and asked for the time by a short, fat, middle aged lady, it's probably me. :lol:

guitarman2010
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2012, 9:00 pm

You should take a look at the cellphone watches! They pack all the feature of a cellphone in a watch sized device. It has a tiny touch screen and will also play mp3s and videos. The big downfall of alot of them is the pathetic battery life.......like 1-2 hours. I'm sure they'll improve as technology matures.

Adam917
Raven
Raven

27 Jun 2012, 6:49 pm

guitarman2010 wrote:
You should take a look at the cellphone watches! They pack all the feature of a cellphone in a watch sized device. It has a tiny touch screen and will also play mp3s and videos. The big downfall of alot of them is the pathetic battery life.......like 1-2 hours. I'm sure they'll improve as technology matures.

I have plenty of those since 2007-12-04: 4 cheap Chinese ones that all broke within a few months & the LG GD910 that cost me over 600 USD & has an operating system that is not truly optimised for a watch-sized device (it has continuous clock display but no at-a-glance notification display). The capacitive touch screen & video call capability is indeed nice though.

The best way forward are Bluetooth watches that pull info from one's phone like the Metawatch, Pebble, Casio 6900, WIMM, inPulse Smartwatch, I'm Watch, & Sony MBW-150 (did I miss any?!)...