16 Jul 2012, 1:25 am

Inventor wrote:
AspieRogue wrote:
Inventor wrote:
Both wrong

Who you talkin to?

Ericys

Mass exists, but we do not know why.

Mass to Newton is what made his Gravity math work.

Mass to Einstein made his Energy math work.

Everything left over goes here, makes anything work.

Later study, the Atoms do not have the Particles to account for their Mass, and the missing difference? The Higgs Boson, which fills the space left.

We are making wild guesses, when the numbers do not work, fill in the space with Dark Energy.

I mostly go with Newton because I live in a Local and mostly Stable System. One Star, out to the Boundry Layer where it's Domain ends.

I am a Cosmic Hick. It is big enough for me. I have plenty of unanswered local questions.

My main questions are about the nature of Time.

It has been determined experimentally that gravitational mass is equivalent to inertial mass. The theory of relativity(including the mass-energy equation)has puh-len-ty of experimental evidence backing it up. Newtonian physics clearly demonstrated its limitations when it came to observations of the behavior of matter and energy on the atomic level and at speeds approaching the velocity of light; prompting the creation of quantum theory. Newtonian physics, however, applies to everyday life so it's the easiest to personally confirm.

edgewaters
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2012, 5:08 am

AspieRogue wrote:
Inventor wrote:
AspieRogue wrote:
Inventor wrote:
Both wrong

Who you talkin to?

Ericys

Later study, the Atoms do not have the Particles to account for their Mass, and the missing difference? The Higgs Boson, which fills the space left.

We are making wild guesses, when the numbers do not work, fill in the space with Dark Energy.

I mostly go with Newton because I live in a Local and mostly Stable System. One Star, out to the Boundry Layer where it's Domain ends.

I am a Cosmic Hick. It is big enough for me. I have plenty of unanswered local questions.

It has been determined experimentally that gravitational mass is equivalent to inertial mass. The theory of relativity(including the mass-energy equation)has puh-len-ty of experimental evidence backing it up. Newtonian physics clearly demonstrated its limitations when it came to observations of the behavior of matter and energy on the atomic level and at speeds approaching the velocity of light; prompting the creation of quantum theory. Newtonian physics, however, applies to everyday life so it's the easiest to personally confirm.

True. But he's right about dark energy, and Higgs boson. They are no more than placeholders that make the equations work. There isn't much empirical evidence for them, outside of that.

16 Jul 2012, 5:52 am

edgewaters wrote:
AspieRogue wrote:
Inventor wrote:
AspieRogue wrote:
Inventor wrote:
Both wrong

Who you talkin to?

Ericys

True. But he's right about dark energy, and Higgs boson. They are no more than placeholders that make the equations work. There isn't much empirical evidence for them, outside of that.

Um, the higgs boson has finally been observed.

salem44dream
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2012, 8:35 pm

AspieRogue wrote:

Um, the higgs boson has finally been observed.

Yes, and it's apparently male with a Van Dyke and the inability to hold onto his research papers.

(the cover of The Economist)

physicsnut42
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Jul 2012, 9:37 pm

ruveyn wrote:
VIDEODROME wrote:
Question: Does Gravity have anything in common with Magnetism?

For example, if you had an enormous amount of metal and it had a strong enough magnetic force could it be drawn into a Black Hole?

There are several differences.

1. There apparently are no magnetic monopoles.
2 a piece of matter is a gravitic monopole.
3. Magnetism both attracts and repels. That is true for electromagnetism in general.
4. Gravitation only attracts.

ruveyn

to videodrome: Gravity and electromagnetism are very different. But if you had a very large piece of metal, it would be drawn into a black hole anyway if it were close enough.

To ruveyn: monopoles have been discovered in recent years. Actually, i think they were manufactured. Some kind of tetrahedral molecule that i don't really understand.

joannaaleksandra
Toucan
Toucan

27 Jul 2012, 5:44 am

physicsnut42 wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
VIDEODROME wrote:
Question: Does Gravity have anything in common with Magnetism?

For example, if you had an enormous amount of metal and it had a strong enough magnetic force could it be drawn into a Black Hole?

There are several differences.

1. There apparently are no magnetic monopoles.
2 a piece of matter is a gravitic monopole.
3. Magnetism both attracts and repels. That is true for electromagnetism in general.
4. Gravitation only attracts.

ruveyn

to videodrome: Gravity and electromagnetism are very different. But if you had a very large piece of metal, it would be drawn into a black hole anyway if it were close enough.

To ruveyn: monopoles have been discovered in recent years. Actually, i think they were manufactured. Some kind of tetrahedral molecule that i don't really understand.

Really?? I didn't know that they manufactured monopoles. When did it happen?