Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Posthuman
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Jun 2012, 9:02 am

Hi i'm new to the boards and I am looking for some advice regarding my performance and associations with teachers at school. I just graduated college and I never talked to a single person or professor at school(really bad anxiety/panic attacks). I am going back to college for some more coursework but I lack appropriate references for graduate school. I was wondering, what is the easiest way to talk to my professors without feeling so much stress/anxiety? Are there any tips that would help me aid in communicating? Usually when I have tried to muster up the courage to do so I end up panicking or crying. Any tips would be nice, thank you.

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2012, 9:56 am

it helps if you do the first few stages of the conversation via email; that removes the face-to-face aspect and gives you all the time you need to formulate your words.
this way, once you meet the professor, both of you already know what you want, have talked it over and are basically just wrapping it up.

Posthuman
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Jun 2012, 11:58 am

izzeme wrote:
it helps if you do the first few stages of the conversation via email; that removes the face-to-face aspect and gives you all the time you need to formulate your words.
this way, once you meet the professor, both of you already know what you want, have talked it over and are basically just wrapping it up.

Alright thanks I will definitely try that, should I mention my problem with anxiety to my professor prior to meeting him to let him see where I am coming from or just try to wing it as best as I can?

Aoibh
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

29 Jun 2012, 4:22 am

Emailing is definitely a good idea.

On whether you should tell your prof. about your anxiety, it depends on whether you feel like he'll understand and won't mind or if he's the kind of person who will think you're just being silly (ignorance, if you ask me). I think a lot of teachers are good at picking up when you're feeling nervous and will take it easy and slow with you anyway, so he might just guess without you having to tell him.

Good luck! And, although I know saying this won't help in the least, don't worry!