Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

willzzz
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

29 Jun 2012, 3:46 pm

Dr. prescribed it for bipolar depression probably. I've been having psychosis which is being treated with risperdal and the Dr. added it due to recent comments.

I'm afraid of taking it due to all the side effects but will soon. AND I have to possibly get liver tests done once a year.

Anyone have experiences?

nolan1971
Toucan
Toucan

29 Jun 2012, 7:41 pm

I was on depakote before lithium. It worked but made me very drowsy and it started to give me hand tremors after awhile.
The Lithium on the other hand does not make me drowsy and no tremors best of all it is way cheaper!
My depakote ran $300 without insurance while the lithium costs $10 for a month supply.
The depakote made me gain weight also. :D

Uhura
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Jun 2012, 9:49 pm

I took Depakote for for a while for seizures. I stopped because it didn't work but I don't remember any side effects. I recently started Lithium and find it makes me have insomnia.

Let us know what your experiences are.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2012, 12:38 am

That pill made me always hungry so I gained tons of weight and left me with stretch marks. I was on it because I was having seizures and it was to calm my body down. If you go on the pill, don't eat every time you're hungry (that is one of the bad side effects because your body will always be thinking you are hungry when you're not), only eat three times a day and don't over fill yourself during each meals. Only have one plate per meal and one bowl per breakfast.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

pama
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 Jul 2012, 7:26 pm

I had an allergic(rash) reaction to Depakote. Had to stop taking it for that reason.