Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Adam917
Raven
Raven

29 Jun 2012, 11:25 pm

I recently bought an old Rio 600 on eBay & after hours of playing with VirtualBox, Windows 98 SE, Real Jukebox, & the player itself I managed to clear it of its music & loaded 5 tracks onto the 32-MiB (MiB is the proper way to write the binary megabytes computers use) player, taking up about 31.3 MiB. My 1st MP3 player was an MP3 CD player made by iRiver: the iMP-150. These days I usually use Poweramp on my Samsung Galaxy Nexus & Galaxy Player 5.0, as well as occasionally a Sandisk Clip & iRiver H140 w/ Rockbox when I am out & about.

What was your first MP3 player? Does it still work? Do you still use it as a daily driver? Did you like it back then? Do you still like it these days? Does it make you marvel at how far technology has come over the years? Is anyone here lucky enough to have owned the very 1st commercially released MP3 player: the Saehan/Eiger Labs MPMAN F10/F20?

Shhkids
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

30 Jun 2012, 12:28 am

I had one of these.
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/archives ... ukebox.jpg
A creative nomad jukebox, bought it about 2001 i think and it had 6 gb space. I'd already been using mp3s for years so i was blown away when they made personal mp3 players and i couldn't wait to buy one. All my music in one place, and mobile, it seemed so groundbreaking at the time. Looking back it was massive though :)).

I then bought this stick thin sony mp3 player that had this really measly memory card with it that could only hold a couple of cds worth.

I'd basically use the right one depending upon the situation, big one for train journeys, lying on my bed and etc , the thin one for walking and etc.

That's why ive been so content with my ipod nano for like 4 years, anything hardwearing enough to put up with me combined with a 6 gb hd and just as stick thin as my old sony one is filling the slot of mp3 player just fine, im grateful for what ive got :).

I dunno where my first nomad jukebox thingy is but im pretty sure the sony ones at the bottom of a nearby box.

Last edited by Shhkids on 30 Jun 2012, 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

one-A-N
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2012, 12:39 am

I have a Cowon S9 with 16 GB storage. I use it for MP3s, the occasional movie (it has a great screen - AMOLED), and even more rarely FM radio (chews through battery too fast).

I really like it. The battery lasts a decent amount of time, provided you don't use the FM radio. I mainly use it to block out sounds while travelling on the train (almost an hour each trip). I am very sensitive to sounds - especially other people eating or drinking - so the MP3 player and some decent earphones (Sennheiser OCX 880 West Headphones) keep me sane.

This is the first MP3 player I ever bought (in 2009 at age 55), and I am still using it every weekday.

I am not a music or MP3 player aficionado. I only bought one because so many other people with similar sound sensitivity to me were raving about their iPods as a method of blocking out unwanted sounds. I'm not into Apple products (I don't use either Windows or MacOSX and cannot run iTunes - nor do I want to), so I picked the Cowon device as it was the recommended MP3 player in my local PC magazine. I can connect to it via USB from my Linux box and manage the content quite easily. It does what I want and I am very happy with it.

outofplace
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2012, 3:33 am

My first was my sister's old iPod Mini, 4GB. She gave it to me when she got a newer model for Christmas. I still have it, and it still works. I even have all the original paperwork and the original box.

bigbadbeast2007
Toucan
Toucan

30 Jun 2012, 5:21 am

creative labs nomad 32mb and it would skip when playing 320kbps mp3

jamieevren1210
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2012, 8:04 am

The old white iPod shuffle, i guess it was the first gen. Actually a hand-me-down from my mother.

goodiesguy

02 Jul 2012, 10:57 am

Looked similar to this, and was the DSE brand (Dick Smith Electronics) Mine was red, and had rounded edges:

I have a different one now though.

I'm think of maybe getting an Ipod touch just so I can play lossless files (flac, wav etc)

noname_ever
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2012, 12:35 pm

My first MP3 player was a Nike PSA 120. It was worth every penny I paid for it.

RockDrummer616
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2012, 12:36 pm

Mine was the first Ipod with video. Fifth generation, I'm pretty sure.

Foxx
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Jul 2012, 3:13 pm

My first MP3 player was some Newtech off-brand one... looks like a predecessor to those on goodiesguy's picture. Registers as SigmaTel MSCN USB device when plugged in... so it must be some off brand circuit that they put in different cases...

I can't remember when I got it (must have been 2002-2003-ish) as a Christmas gift from my parents...

Capacity: 512 MB (494 MiB, use binary notation? do it correctly!... bi-bytes = actual space on the device :D)
I just found it this morning in my bedside drawer, way at the back. Last time I used it, it was hooked to my car stereo (it has a USB jack)... must not have used it for a year or so.

In any case, it's fun to look through again... About 60 songs, some have since been lost on my PC due to formats etc.., Some installers, and a bunch of stuff from college :D, including my electronics final (with assembly code for the µPU, pictures and everything)... at least that'll be a fun read :D

Bun
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2012, 3:40 pm

goodiesguy wrote:
Looked similar to this, and was the DSE brand (Dick Smith Electronics) Mine was red, and had rounded edges:

I have a different one now though.

I'm think of maybe getting an Ipod touch just so I can play lossless files (flac, wav etc)

Not sure what was mine, but it was that general shape as well.

Shatbat
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2012, 3:52 pm

Mine was... a Nokia 5310, when I was 15 years old. Before that I didn't carry music with me.

In general, I use my cellphones as mp3 players now. Makes no sense for me to carry two gadgets when I can habe only one. I remember I won an iPod shuffle once, but I refused to install iTunes in my computer, so I just sold it off.

IndieSoul
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Jul 2012, 4:00 pm

Funny, I was just thinking about this yesterday.

I got my first mp3 player at age 11. It was a Sandisk Sansa m250 1GB. Way back in 2006, this little thing cost over $100. Now I see them for about $15. It's amazing how far tech has come in such a short time period.

A couple years after that I moved on to the Sandisk Sansa Fuze 8GB. This was a big deal :) It was almost like having an iPod because of the scroll wheel and full-color screen. I still use it every now and then to listen to the radio.

After working for awhile, at age 17, I bought an iPod Touch 8GB. I would have sprung for the 32GB but I got an extended warranty instead. This probably wasn't necessary, but I can replace the device in two years whether or not it's actually damaged.

It would be nice if the iTouch came with FM radio. I thought this came standard in most mp3 players anymore?

Bearing a gift beyond price, almost free

-RUSH

Colinn
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2012, 8:36 pm

I remember getting my first MP3 player, it was a Philips GoGear HDD070 in 2004. During that time the iPods were too expensive for my pocket at around 13 years old and this was at around the £100 price point for a 2GB MP3 player, how tech has advanced. It was chunky but not too heavy, I certainly didn't worry when I dropped it that's for sure. It actually had an FM radio as well, something the iPod lacked at the time.

Fast forward 8 years, and my iphone 4 is now my full time MP3 player. An older iPod I really liked was the Nano 3rd gen, it had a nice small form factor to it but not to the extreme like the nano nowadays, and it was really light. I wish I still had one of those but foolishly gave it to my sister when I made an upgrade :(

zxy3cpn
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2012, 4:31 am

Samsung YP-U2. "MP3" in the title should really be replaced with "digital audio", since they often play other formats too!

Esseth
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Jul 2012, 7:37 am

iPod Shuffle - 1st Gen, 1gig... paid a bucket load as well. Currently using Poweramp on my HTC.