what does your exercise routine/diet look like?

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

amboxer21
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 23 Jun 2011
Age: 32
Gender: Male
Posts: 344
Location: New Jersey

29 Jun 2012, 11:35 pm

I wanted to share my exercise routine with y'all.

If the first day of the week were Monday then:

[Monday]
3 mile run. Goal is to run as fast as I can and as far as i can with a minimal distance of 3 miles.
Then 200 jack knives with a 10 pound plate.

[Tuesday]
bench and butterfly presses. Super setted with 4-6 sets. Bench weight is medium(Aim is to push high on the reps and cut up).

[Wednesday]
A 1 and a half mile run under 6 minutes. Then sprints with no rest in between intervals, just slow jogs.
obliques

[Thursday]
200 pull ups(Variated). Wides, diamonds, and behind the neck.Which i will split into 2 forms, hands facing me and hands facing away(Chin ups and pull ups).
Upperbody plyometrics

[Friday]
Relaxed run with a 3 mile minimum.

[Saturday]
Rest

[Sunday]
Rest

[Diet]
I do not follow a diet. Just lots of carbs! Only water and 100% juice. Lots of meat and i eat junk foot and foods cooked in oils.

What does your routine/diet look like.



1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 8 Jul 2011
Age: 28
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,083
Location: CT, USA

30 Jun 2012, 12:10 am

Let's see, it's been crap, as I've been all busy with my family and my house is a mess and all kinds of stuff like that. But generally...

Ice skating from 12-1:20, usually some coffee/energy drink before skating and that's it. Sometimes if I'm lucky I'll have some eggs.

At night sometime, I'll lift weights, usually I'll do snatches, pretty much obsessed with snatches, though I suck at them and have poor technique. Then either squats or deadlifts, used to do a lot of clean and jerks. I squat Olympic style now, use less weight that way, though. I feel it's more helpful for skating, especially if I start doing sit spins and whatnot. Let's see, I do overhead presses, standing strict presses. Hard to get the weight up on those, it's so frustrating, I can seemingly always get my squat or deadlift up by like 20lbs a month easy, and then my overhead press using the same routine (of basically me f*****g around doing whatever I feel like that day) has gone up like...10 in 8 months? Let's see, I try to do pistols, too, but my balance sucks for pistols, but it's something I eventually need to learn to do for skating purposes. Occasionally, not as much as I used to (I say not as much as I used to for everything, because everything is a mess right now in my house, literally and figuratively) I did a lot of plyo jumps, box jumps, one leg jumps, etc. I also used to do punching bag work (I did that when I first started out, before weights) and lost interest/didn't make time for it anymore. OH! Last but not least, I do lots of slideboard. Usually I go on it without weights to warm up, then I go on it for 3-5 minutes at a time with 15s, occasionally 20s in each hand, so it turns into basically a skating farmers walk. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MY_4pjozF1w That's a slideboard.

As far as my diet. Lame. Diet, sleep, and stress affect me the most of all things in my life, and they all go interchangeably. I'm kinda constantly trying to tweak it to be better. At the advice of some posters on here, I've been cutting out carbs for the most part, and feel much better. I found out rye bread and me agree, but majority wheat bread and me don't. So this week, as a pretty "optimal" diet, it was 5 strips of bacon, 2 eggs, a patty of breakfast sausage, and then pan toast made with bacon grease. That was "brunch" I guess, and then for second meal, similar smaller meal like that. Then dinner, a 1/4-1/3 head of cabbage, and 3-4 links of Italian pork sausage cooked in water with spices and a bit of spaghetti sauce (with dat dere soybean oil in it, yay...) This seems like a good diet for me, as the fat content means I don't get hungry very quick. That, and it gives me more cholesterol to make hormones. My problem eating a lot of carbs is I eat a ton of food. I'm the type of person that can eat a large pizza and then still eat more like an hour later. So so far, this seems like a decent diet, but as it's said "everything works...for a while." Also did it a bit on the advice of the crazy (but cool) man Frank Yang, he said when cutting he just needed to drop carbs.

My big problem dietwise comes from the fact I live with my family (only mother and sisters), and don't have a job. So my mom buys all a bunch of processed food and then just tells me "You can get $20 worth of stuff for the week" so since I don't eat the processed food, I can't really eat very "balanced" like that. I don't have much for supps, either, cheap crappy multivitamins, fish oil pills, and b vitamin pills, and that's about it. I've had whey protein like twice, meanwhile my family buys like $30-40 worth of bottled water a month. Occasionally I take ginseng, too, again, cheapest crappiest grade pills of it from the dollar store. So yes, I could go on forever about how insane my family's nutritional and general money thought process is, but yes.



amboxer21
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 23 Jun 2011
Age: 32
Gender: Male
Posts: 344
Location: New Jersey

30 Jun 2012, 2:08 am

1000Knives wrote:
Let's see, it's been crap, as I've been all busy with my family and my house is a mess and all kinds of stuff like that. But generally...

Ice skating from 12-1:20, usually some coffee/energy drink before skating and that's it. Sometimes if I'm lucky I'll have some eggs.

At night sometime, I'll lift weights, usually I'll do snatches, pretty much obsessed with snatches, though I suck at them and have poor technique. Then either squats or deadlifts, used to do a lot of clean and jerks. I squat Olympic style now, use less weight that way, though. I feel it's more helpful for skating, especially if I start doing sit spins and whatnot. Let's see, I do overhead presses, standing strict presses. Hard to get the weight up on those, it's so frustrating, I can seemingly always get my squat or deadlift up by like 20lbs a month easy, and then my overhead press using the same routine (of basically me f***ing around doing whatever I feel like that day) has gone up like...10 in 8 months? Let's see, I try to do pistols, too, but my balance sucks for pistols, but it's something I eventually need to learn to do for skating purposes. Occasionally, not as much as I used to (I say not as much as I used to for everything, because everything is a mess right now in my house, literally and figuratively) I did a lot of plyo jumps, box jumps, one leg jumps, etc. I also used to do punching bag work (I did that when I first started out, before weights) and lost interest/didn't make time for it anymore. OH! Last but not least, I do lots of slideboard. Usually I go on it without weights to warm up, then I go on it for 3-5 minutes at a time with 15s, occasionally 20s in each hand, so it turns into basically a skating farmers walk. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MY_4pjozF1w That's a slideboard.

As far as my diet. Lame. Diet, sleep, and stress affect me the most of all things in my life, and they all go interchangeably. I'm kinda constantly trying to tweak it to be better. At the advice of some posters on here, I've been cutting out carbs for the most part, and feel much better. I found out rye bread and me agree, but majority wheat bread and me don't. So this week, as a pretty "optimal" diet, it was 5 strips of bacon, 2 eggs, a patty of breakfast sausage, and then pan toast made with bacon grease. That was "brunch" I guess, and then for second meal, similar smaller meal like that. Then dinner, a 1/4-1/3 head of cabbage, and 3-4 links of Italian pork sausage cooked in water with spices and a bit of spaghetti sauce (with dat dere soybean oil in it, yay...) This seems like a good diet for me, as the fat content means I don't get hungry very quick. That, and it gives me more cholesterol to make hormones. My problem eating a lot of carbs is I eat a ton of food. I'm the type of person that can eat a large pizza and then still eat more like an hour later. So so far, this seems like a decent diet, but as it's said "everything works...for a while." Also did it a bit on the advice of the crazy (but cool) man Frank Yang, he said when cutting he just needed to drop carbs.

My big problem dietwise comes from the fact I live with my family (only mother and sisters), and don't have a job. So my mom buys all a bunch of processed food and then just tells me "You can get $20 worth of stuff for the week" so since I don't eat the processed food, I can't really eat very "balanced" like that. I don't have much for supps, either, cheap crappy multivitamins, fish oil pills, and b vitamin pills, and that's about it. I've had whey protein like twice, meanwhile my family buys like $30-40 worth of bottled water a month. Occasionally I take ginseng, too, again, cheapest crappiest grade pills of it from the dollar store. So yes, I could go on forever about how insane my family's nutritional and general money thought process is, but yes.


With a name like 1000knives, I never pictured you ice skating lol Nice routine though! This is a light routine for me, so I guess you could say Im slacking too! What I need to do is double up the work, intensity, and reps/weight that I am doing now!! I probably hit a plateau on my gain since my work out is practically non-existant! makes me feel like a piece of crap... like i am not working hard enough!!

On a side note; carbs are good for you! It is a big myth that you need to cut them out of your diet to get toned/cut up. Along with the myth of lactic acid being the culprit of sore muscles. Which is far from the truth!! Hydrogen ion is actually responsible and the body needs carbs when you work out. that is the energy source for exercise and not to mention that the body needs a certain amount of carbs a day or it will eat the muscle and do other nasty stuff!

It is actually a very interesting but complex process! I had to learn it while i was competing in boxing for the sole purpose of being able to cut the proper way! I walk around at about 190-195 if i dont exercise. If i do, like now, I tend to weight in the 205-210 area. Im 210 now. Point is, I would have to cut down to 160. its a lot of weight that would have to be cut properly! getting rid of fat deposits isnt easy man lol

What got you into that olympic style exercising and dead lifts. Whats that all for, brute strength or something? Isolation of the lower body?

I love food to much man to go on a diet lol Ring dings and pizza and ice cream and onion rings... speghetti lol Im a fat person stuck in an athletic body lol

I ABSOLUTELY DO NOT BELIEVE IN SUPPLIMENTS!! !! !! They are unnatural and evil! I believe everything should be done naturally!! I dont even take aspirin. TO each their own though 1000knives!



again_with_this
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 13 Jun 2012
Age: 36
Gender: Male
Posts: 780
Location: New Jersey, USA

30 Jun 2012, 4:19 am

OP, are you in good shape? If so, were you always in good shape and this is just to maintain? Or are you in poor shape and have seen improvement/no improvement.

I've got a potbelly I'd like to get rid of. I don't do much of anything in the way of exercise. The rest of my body is quite lanky, it's not a proportional fat that I see in other people (which could actually work to their advantage sometimes because they "look big").

I look scrawny but with a sandbag above my waist. Any tips or suggestion to get rid of it? How long will it take?



amboxer21
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 23 Jun 2011
Age: 32
Gender: Male
Posts: 344
Location: New Jersey

30 Jun 2012, 4:58 am

again_with_this wrote:
OP, are you in good shape? If so, were you always in good shape and this is just to maintain? Or are you in poor shape and have seen improvement/no improvement.

I've got a potbelly I'd like to get rid of. I don't do much of anything in the way of exercise. The rest of my body is quite lanky, it's not a proportional fat that I see in other people (which could actually work to their advantage sometimes because they "look big").

I look scrawny but with a sandbag above my waist. Any tips or suggestion to get rid of it? How long will it take?


Jersey representing! I would say i am in pretty good shape! I'm 210 and have around 14% body fat. What I am chasing now is slow progress. If I double up, then I will be cutting at a decent pace! Which I plan on doing! For some reason I love exercise!! Its such a challenge but so freaking rewarding. You get to push yourself beyond your limits and it feels great!! I get high from exercising! A natural high.

But If I were you, I would start jogging!! Also, do some core exercises with light weights or lots and lots of walking with light dumb bells while you walk and curl them as you walk! The most important thing is that you need to do something. Anything is better than nothing!! ! And the more the better!

ME while I was boxing. I weighted 165lbs and woked out 6 hours a day 5 days a week.
Image

Me now
Image

Me boxing:
http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff4 ... ea7463.jpg

I am in great shape just have to double up on everything I am doing now! Push harder, faster, longer!! I am cuious to know as how 1000knives looks!



again_with_this
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 13 Jun 2012
Age: 36
Gender: Male
Posts: 780
Location: New Jersey, USA

30 Jun 2012, 5:15 am

amboxer21 wrote:
I am in great shape just have to double up on everything I am doing now! Push harder, faster, longer!! I am cuious to know as how 1000knives looks!


Show off!

But seriously, thanks for the advice, I'll start jogging. But I might be self conscious walking around with weights in my hands.

About how long, if you had to guess, to work off a belly with this method?



amboxer21
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 23 Jun 2011
Age: 32
Gender: Male
Posts: 344
Location: New Jersey

30 Jun 2012, 5:20 am

again_with_this wrote:
amboxer21 wrote:
I am in great shape just have to double up on everything I am doing now! Push harder, faster, longer!! I am cuious to know as how 1000knives looks!


Show off!

But seriously, thanks for the advice, I'll start jogging. But I might be self conscious walking around with weights in my hands.

About how long, if you had to guess, to work off a belly with this method?


Yeah I am lol Hey i work hard and should be able too ;) IDK man hard to say. Its all on how hard you work! You should be talking to kx250rider about this though! He is in shape 40 times past what i am at! And Im bad with this kind of stuff... ADVICE lol



TM
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 3 Feb 2012
Age: 36
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,122

30 Jun 2012, 7:07 am

I posted my 4 day split here http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt201973.html

I also do 45 minutes of steady state cardio 4 - 7 days a week.

My diet:

2 scoops of Superfood (22g of protein, with plenty of glutamine and leucine)

about 2 - 3 protein shakes, with Whey in water with some heavy cream to bump fat.

5 - 10g of creatine daily (which I'm sure is screwing up my body fat scale)

Then 1 - 2 regular meals usually consisting of protein (chicken breasts, minced meat, sausages, eggs etc) with some kind of vegetables.

This is a low carb approach to drop body fat though, so its not really my normal diet which would include about 100 - 200g of carbohydrates.



Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Apr 2012
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,379
Location: Scandinavia

30 Jun 2012, 7:39 am

Day 1 (Triceps, shoulders, chest):

5x5 bench press
5x5 shoulder press
3x8 incline bench press
3x6 narrow grip bench press (I no longer do dips, because of rotator cuff problems)
3x8 lateral raise (I hate this, but the lateral deltoids are hard to hit otherwise)

Day 2 (Biceps, core, legs):

4x6 weighted pull-ups
1x6+2x5 rack pulls (I only do this once every week)
3x8 bent over barbell rows
2x8+2x6 squats (ass to the grass)
3x8 calf raise
3x10 machine crunches
3x8 bicep curls (but only when my arms aren't tired)

1-2 days rest and cycle repeats. As you can see, isolation exercises aren't "my thing". :P



Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Apr 2012
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,379
Location: Scandinavia

30 Jun 2012, 7:41 am

amboxer21 wrote:
again_with_this wrote:
amboxer21 wrote:
I am in great shape just have to double up on everything I am doing now! Push harder, faster, longer!! I am cuious to know as how 1000knives looks!


Show off!

But seriously, thanks for the advice, I'll start jogging. But I might be self conscious walking around with weights in my hands.

About how long, if you had to guess, to work off a belly with this method?


Yeah I am lol Hey i work hard and should be able too ;) IDK man hard to say. Its all on how hard you work! You should be talking to kx250rider about this though! He is in shape 40 times past what i am at! And Im bad with this kind of stuff... ADVICE lol


IMHO looking that ripped takes a lot of work and dicipline at any age. Needless to say that it's an amazing physique for someone in his mid 40's. :)



1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 8 Jul 2011
Age: 28
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,083
Location: CT, USA

30 Jun 2012, 3:18 pm

amboxer21 wrote:
1000Knives wrote:
Let's see, it's been crap, as I've been all busy with my family and my house is a mess and all kinds of stuff like that. But generally...

Ice skating from 12-1:20, usually some coffee/energy drink before skating and that's it. Sometimes if I'm lucky I'll have some eggs.

At night sometime, I'll lift weights, usually I'll do snatches, pretty much obsessed with snatches, though I suck at them and have poor technique. Then either squats or deadlifts, used to do a lot of clean and jerks. I squat Olympic style now, use less weight that way, though. I feel it's more helpful for skating, especially if I start doing sit spins and whatnot. Let's see, I do overhead presses, standing strict presses. Hard to get the weight up on those, it's so frustrating, I can seemingly always get my squat or deadlift up by like 20lbs a month easy, and then my overhead press using the same routine (of basically me f***ing around doing whatever I feel like that day) has gone up like...10 in 8 months? Let's see, I try to do pistols, too, but my balance sucks for pistols, but it's something I eventually need to learn to do for skating purposes. Occasionally, not as much as I used to (I say not as much as I used to for everything, because everything is a mess right now in my house, literally and figuratively) I did a lot of plyo jumps, box jumps, one leg jumps, etc. I also used to do punching bag work (I did that when I first started out, before weights) and lost interest/didn't make time for it anymore. OH! Last but not least, I do lots of slideboard. Usually I go on it without weights to warm up, then I go on it for 3-5 minutes at a time with 15s, occasionally 20s in each hand, so it turns into basically a skating farmers walk. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MY_4pjozF1w That's a slideboard.

As far as my diet. Lame. Diet, sleep, and stress affect me the most of all things in my life, and they all go interchangeably. I'm kinda constantly trying to tweak it to be better. At the advice of some posters on here, I've been cutting out carbs for the most part, and feel much better. I found out rye bread and me agree, but majority wheat bread and me don't. So this week, as a pretty "optimal" diet, it was 5 strips of bacon, 2 eggs, a patty of breakfast sausage, and then pan toast made with bacon grease. That was "brunch" I guess, and then for second meal, similar smaller meal like that. Then dinner, a 1/4-1/3 head of cabbage, and 3-4 links of Italian pork sausage cooked in water with spices and a bit of spaghetti sauce (with dat dere soybean oil in it, yay...) This seems like a good diet for me, as the fat content means I don't get hungry very quick. That, and it gives me more cholesterol to make hormones. My problem eating a lot of carbs is I eat a ton of food. I'm the type of person that can eat a large pizza and then still eat more like an hour later. So so far, this seems like a decent diet, but as it's said "everything works...for a while." Also did it a bit on the advice of the crazy (but cool) man Frank Yang, he said when cutting he just needed to drop carbs.

My big problem dietwise comes from the fact I live with my family (only mother and sisters), and don't have a job. So my mom buys all a bunch of processed food and then just tells me "You can get $20 worth of stuff for the week" so since I don't eat the processed food, I can't really eat very "balanced" like that. I don't have much for supps, either, cheap crappy multivitamins, fish oil pills, and b vitamin pills, and that's about it. I've had whey protein like twice, meanwhile my family buys like $30-40 worth of bottled water a month. Occasionally I take ginseng, too, again, cheapest crappiest grade pills of it from the dollar store. So yes, I could go on forever about how insane my family's nutritional and general money thought process is, but yes.


With a name like 1000knives, I never pictured you ice skating lol Nice routine though! This is a light routine for me, so I guess you could say Im slacking too! What I need to do is double up the work, intensity, and reps/weight that I am doing now!! I probably hit a plateau on my gain since my work out is practically non-existant! makes me feel like a piece of crap... like i am not working hard enough!!

On a side note; carbs are good for you! It is a big myth that you need to cut them out of your diet to get toned/cut up. Along with the myth of lactic acid being the culprit of sore muscles. Which is far from the truth!! Hydrogen ion is actually responsible and the body needs carbs when you work out. that is the energy source for exercise and not to mention that the body needs a certain amount of carbs a day or it will eat the muscle and do other nasty stuff!

It is actually a very interesting but complex process! I had to learn it while i was competing in boxing for the sole purpose of being able to cut the proper way! I walk around at about 190-195 if i dont exercise. If i do, like now, I tend to weight in the 205-210 area. Im 210 now. Point is, I would have to cut down to 160. its a lot of weight that would have to be cut properly! getting rid of fat deposits isnt easy man lol

What got you into that olympic style exercising and dead lifts. Whats that all for, brute strength or something? Isolation of the lower body?

I love food to much man to go on a diet lol Ring dings and pizza and ice cream and onion rings... speghetti lol Im a fat person stuck in an athletic body lol

I ABSOLUTELY DO NOT BELIEVE IN SUPPLIMENTS!! !! !! They are unnatural and evil! I believe everything should be done naturally!! I dont even take aspirin. TO each their own though 1000knives!


I look like the people in the squatz and oatz cartoons. Huge legs, tiny upper body. 20%ish BF (maybe as low as 17-18%, who knows) so not really spectacular looking. I'm at 195 at 5'9 height. I think at 195 now due to the weightlifting I look better than I did at 180, but now if I got to my "old" 180 I'd look "ripped" so that's my goal, get to 180 or high 170s. I've got naturally huge legs, so it might be a genetic advantage for skating, but still, pro skaters like Johnny Wier at my height are like 130lbs, and that'd be a concentration camp weight for me, and I'd have zero athletic performance left at that weight, oh well. I guess as far as the somatypes go, I'm probably a mix of meso-endo, definitely not ectomorph, though.

So, anyway, the Olympic lifts and squats and deadlifts are pretty much for ice skating. I don't really work out for bodybuilding. Like it's just not something I really "get" as was discussed in the "abs" thread here. I'd like to be lean, but as far as really specific muscle definition or whatever, it doesn't matter to me. I'll look how I look. But the squats, deadlifts and Olympic lifts VERY much help skating. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzFGzsn6Skg Those jumps require a LOT of explosive power, figure skating is a crazily athletic sport, despite popular opinion saying otherwise. Me lifting, I don't have money for the coaching/ice time I'd like, so to compensate, I figure power is sorta "free" if that makes sense. So some people think I'm a better skater than I am just due to the amount of power I have, as the power I have for skating is almost as good (or maybe is as good) as people who've been skating significantly longer than me. They've gotten their power "naturally" by just skating a ton of years, but I've sorta cheated it I guess. Just in my case, I'd like to be leaner, as it's power to weight ratio. Also being leaner does look cooler at the beach/pool/etc. But I don't know, I find squats/deadlifts/Olympic lifts just fun to do, Olympic lifts especially have an OCD technique aspect to them, and it's pretty much as hard learning those correctly as learning figure skating moves. So they're fun on their own. Also, too, with OL lifting, my dad used to do it, and I wanna beat his records, you know, gotta exceed your father, you know? That, and the overhead presses/jerks/etc, if I ever get into pair skating, all the holds and whatnot, yeah. First time I saw a competitive pair skater at my rink, I was like "Holy f**k, he's Zangief from Street Fighter" the way he'd be able to pick up his partner and hold her over his head...on ice.

As far as diet, well, so far adding more fat/cholesterol seems to be working out well. I'm not OCD regarding carbs, as in, I eat some throughout the day, but yeah, eating more fat works well for me, as far as keeping me less hungry. I've even tried vegan diets with a lot of carbs for a week or so at a time, and it just didn't work. I know one guy who eats like 4000 calories a day of mostly carbs, and he's super lean (and recommended such a diet to me), but that kinda thing doesn't work for me. I think most "hard gainers" problem is they suck at eating. I'm awesome at eating, haha.

As far as supplements, it depends. Most things in this world are unnatural. Typing stuff on Wrongplanet is unnatural. Most of the supps I want, are pretty natural. I'd really like to try Rhodiola Rosea and maybe Maral Root. Most of what I want is just herbs/herb extracts, but I'd preferably get the whole herbs and just make tea or whatever. As far as creatine, lots of whey protein, etc, kinda not smart in my opinion. Whey protein isn't bad really, though, but suggestions of taking like 300+ grams of protein a day seem asinine to me. But I try to solve most things naturally, with herbs, and it seems to work. One thing, I do like stimulants a lot, thus why so much caffeine. I have NVLD, and it helps me get faster mental processing, I probably should be on a ritalin or Adderall, as it helps people with NVLD, but I got no health insurance, so no prescription. So I kinda self medicate with lots of caffeine and other stuff. I just tried synephrine (bitter orange extract) today, and it works well, but it's a bit too jittery for me. But yeah, a lot is just self medicating my NVLD. Like it's weird, I can do hard physical labor all day, if it's just moving stuff or whatever, but social interactions, things that need quick reflexes/fast thinking, I tire myself out more than if I were moving boxes all day or lifting weights at the gym. Especially car work. Working on cars tires me out more than anytime I spend in a gym ever, just because it takes so much mental power.



ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 18 Jun 2008
Gender: Female
Posts: 13,399

30 Jun 2012, 4:09 pm

Most days I just go swimming for a couple hours since it's too hot to go running. I go in the evening about three or four times a week, depending on how crowded it might be. I went yesterday and it was crowded. I would go today but it is probably just like yesterday so I will go tomorrow instead.
When the weather cooperates, I run between three and five miles at least three times a week, mostly in the evening but during the day when the weather is nice and cool.

Right now I am in the process of going completely vegan without oils, nuts, avocados, or dairy products. I have been weaning myself off meat, diary, and eggs and have just about gotten to the point where I can exist without these things.



edgewaters
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 16 Aug 2006
Age: 47
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,427
Location: Ontario

30 Jun 2012, 4:15 pm

Looks alot like this:

Image



TM
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 3 Feb 2012
Age: 36
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,122

30 Jun 2012, 5:59 pm

1000Knives wrote:

As far as diet, well, so far adding more fat/cholesterol seems to be working out well. I'm not OCD regarding carbs, as in, I eat some throughout the day, but yeah, eating more fat works well for me, as far as keeping me less hungry. I've even tried vegan diets with a lot of carbs for a week or so at a time, and it just didn't work. I know one guy who eats like 4000 calories a day of mostly carbs, and he's super lean (and recommended such a diet to me), but that kinda thing doesn't work for me. I think most "hard gainers" problem is they suck at eating. I'm awesome at eating, haha.

As far as supplements, it depends. Most things in this world are unnatural. Typing stuff on Wrongplanet is unnatural. Most of the supps I want, are pretty natural. I'd really like to try Rhodiola Rosea and maybe Maral Root. Most of what I want is just herbs/herb extracts, but I'd preferably get the whole herbs and just make tea or whatever. As far as creatine, lots of whey protein, etc, kinda not smart in my opinion. Whey protein isn't bad really, though, but suggestions of taking like 300+ grams of protein a day seem asinine to me. But I try to solve most things naturally, with herbs, and it seems to work. One thing, I do like stimulants a lot, thus why so much caffeine. I have NVLD, and it helps me get faster mental processing, I probably should be on a ritalin or Adderall, as it helps people with NVLD, but I got no health insurance, so no prescription. So I kinda self medicate with lots of caffeine and other stuff. I just tried synephrine (bitter orange extract) today, and it works well, but it's a bit too jittery for me. But yeah, a lot is just self medicating my NVLD. Like it's weird, I can do hard physical labor all day, if it's just moving stuff or whatever, but social interactions, things that need quick reflexes/fast thinking, I tire myself out more than if I were moving boxes all day or lifting weights at the gym. Especially car work. Working on cars tires me out more than anytime I spend in a gym ever, just because it takes so much mental power.


The whole "high carb" thing works for some people, but they need a high carb tolerance and a very active lifestyle. I have relatives that eat tons of carbs and do not put on weight, me on the other hand, I can put away half a cow and not put on a gram and look at a piece of cake and go up 2 pants sizes.

I'm currently ingesting about 250g of protein per day along with creatine, fish oil, fat burners and a few things I don't really know what are and its working nicely for me except for one bad workout.



1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 8 Jul 2011
Age: 28
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,083
Location: CT, USA

30 Jun 2012, 6:05 pm

TM wrote:
1000Knives wrote:

As far as diet, well, so far adding more fat/cholesterol seems to be working out well. I'm not OCD regarding carbs, as in, I eat some throughout the day, but yeah, eating more fat works well for me, as far as keeping me less hungry. I've even tried vegan diets with a lot of carbs for a week or so at a time, and it just didn't work. I know one guy who eats like 4000 calories a day of mostly carbs, and he's super lean (and recommended such a diet to me), but that kinda thing doesn't work for me. I think most "hard gainers" problem is they suck at eating. I'm awesome at eating, haha.

As far as supplements, it depends. Most things in this world are unnatural. Typing stuff on Wrongplanet is unnatural. Most of the supps I want, are pretty natural. I'd really like to try Rhodiola Rosea and maybe Maral Root. Most of what I want is just herbs/herb extracts, but I'd preferably get the whole herbs and just make tea or whatever. As far as creatine, lots of whey protein, etc, kinda not smart in my opinion. Whey protein isn't bad really, though, but suggestions of taking like 300+ grams of protein a day seem asinine to me. But I try to solve most things naturally, with herbs, and it seems to work. One thing, I do like stimulants a lot, thus why so much caffeine. I have NVLD, and it helps me get faster mental processing, I probably should be on a ritalin or Adderall, as it helps people with NVLD, but I got no health insurance, so no prescription. So I kinda self medicate with lots of caffeine and other stuff. I just tried synephrine (bitter orange extract) today, and it works well, but it's a bit too jittery for me. But yeah, a lot is just self medicating my NVLD. Like it's weird, I can do hard physical labor all day, if it's just moving stuff or whatever, but social interactions, things that need quick reflexes/fast thinking, I tire myself out more than if I were moving boxes all day or lifting weights at the gym. Especially car work. Working on cars tires me out more than anytime I spend in a gym ever, just because it takes so much mental power.


The whole "high carb" thing works for some people, but they need a high carb tolerance and a very active lifestyle. I have relatives that eat tons of carbs and do not put on weight, me on the other hand, I can put away half a cow and not put on a gram and look at a piece of cake and go up 2 pants sizes.

I'm currently ingesting about 250g of protein per day along with creatine, fish oil, fat burners and a few things I don't really know what are and its working nicely for me except for one bad workout.


Going off your advice, though, I found lots of times where I thought I was "protein deficient" I was actually just fat/cholesterol deficient. I mean the extra protein is cool, but yeah.

EDIT, the synephrine I tried while cool feeling, gave me a headache. So I guess I can't take it. Try rye bread, though, it's better imo as far as "feel" goes, less insulin spike, etc.